Sleeping Bags.

Discussion in 'General Fitness' started by [email protected], Apr 11, 2006.

  1. Is there such a thing as a cheap 3 season sleeping bag that packs down
    nice and small?

    Tags:

  2. AndyP

    AndyP Guest

    [email protected] wrote:
    > Is there such a thing as a cheap 3 season sleeping bag that packs down
    > nice and small?

    Down bags pack smaller but synthetic bags are cheaper. Field & Trek had
    some bags pretty cheap on special offer. Vango used to do a range of
    down bags on the cheaper side called Venom. Storm Shield down bags in
    places like Blacks and Millets are at the cheap end of the scale. A
    general way of getting a cheaper and lighter 3 season bag is to buy a 2
    or even 1 season bag and wear all your spare clothes including hat in
    it. A 1 season bag does me down to below freezing without causing
    sleepless nights that way.

  3. Phil Cook

    Phil Cook Guest

    [email protected] wrote:

    >Is there such a thing as a cheap 3 season sleeping bag that packs down
    >nice and small?

    It is gererally believed that with sleeping bags if you want cheap,
    warm and small you can only have two at once.

    But if you can get along with a LH zip try this one
    http://tinyurl.com/hpgp9 (Links to http://www.fieldandtrek.com
    equipment >sleeping bags > down bags 3 season.) Stormlite Rolling
    Clouds 500 for 50 quid. Packsize 36x26 cm Weight 1130 g

  4. Jim Ford

    Jim Ford Guest

    [email protected] wrote:
    > Is there such a thing as a cheap 3 season sleeping bag that packs down
    > nice and small?

    Depends on what you call 'cheap'! F&T (or Cotswold - I can't remember
    which) are doing the down Mountain Equipment 'Dreamcatcher 300' for £80.
    I've got one (but paid more for it 8^{ ) and they're light and pack
    small. Alpit's worth checking out first for _any_ gear. They have good
    stuff at very low prices and are very friendly an helpfull to deal with.

    Jim Ford

  5. Phil Cook wrote:
    > [email protected] wrote:
    >
    > >Is there such a thing as a cheap 3 season sleeping bag that packs down
    > >nice and small?

    > It is gererally believed that with sleeping bags if you want cheap,
    > warm and small you can only have two at once.

    Yes. My 1 season Coleman for £15 is great. Wearing thermals it suits
    me for Spring to Autumn and packs down to nothing. In UK summer it's
    perfect. Sadly it aint warm enough for Mrs Toad.

    > But if you can get along with a LH zip try this one
    > http://tinyurl.com/hpgp9 (Links to http://www.fieldandtrek.com
    > equipment >sleeping bags > down bags 3 season.) Stormlite Rolling
    > Clouds 500 for 50 quid. Packsize 36x26 cm Weight 1130 g

    That looks about right. Thanks.

  6. Ysgrifennodd <[email protected]> mewn neges
    newyddion:[email protected]
    > Is there such a thing as a cheap 3 season sleeping bag that packs down
    > nice and small?

    Define 'cheap'.

    I thought paying much more than £100 for a sleeping bag was excessive, so
    set that as budget for a cheap bag. Of course, i also have one i paid £17.50
    for.

    I plumped for the alpkit pipedream 400 at £100 (inc p&p). It packs down
    realllllly small and weighs a paltry 800g (or just under). Oh, and it's good
    to -3c, but i am yet to use it in anger (sigh). If you want to go much
    cheaper and still retain low bulk and weight, then an end of line down bag
    at half price would be a realistic option, as would a one season synthetic
    with extra clothing (only not as comfy as the other options); as others have
    already suggested.

    T Dave R

    --

    What hills have i been up recently?
    www.walkeryri.org.uk

  7. Fur Cough

    Fur Cough Guest

    [email protected] wrote:
    > Phil Cook wrote:
    >> [email protected] wrote:
    >>
    >>> Is there such a thing as a cheap 3 season sleeping bag that packs down
    >>> nice and small?

    >> It is gererally believed that with sleeping bags if you want cheap,
    >> warm and small you can only have two at once.

    > Yes. My 1 season Coleman for £15 is great. Wearing thermals it suits
    > me for Spring to Autumn and packs down to nothing. In UK summer it's
    > perfect. Sadly it aint warm enough for Mrs Toad.
    >
    >> But if you can get along with a LH zip try this one
    >> http://tinyurl.com/hpgp9 (Links to http://www.fieldandtrek.com
    >> equipment >sleeping bags > down bags 3 season.) Stormlite Rolling
    >> Clouds 500 for 50 quid. Packsize 36x26 cm Weight 1130 g

    > That looks about right. Thanks.

    I've got the Rolling Clouds 1000 (old model), and it's fantastic.
    Clearly not the same as something 2x or 3x the price, but very warm,
    comfy, and great value.