Sleet

Claire Petersky

Guest
When I rode to work this morning, it was just a little colder than I expected. I was thinking,
mid-40s, light rain. It was more like upper 30s, light rain.

When I got off work, I was wheeling the bike out of the gloom of the garage, and noted, "wet
pavement". I emerged fully from the garage, and thought, "rain".

There's often a shock when I first start riding when I get off of work. Sure, there's sometimes
crises at work, but I usually have some time for decisions, and no one is going to die if I make a
mistake. But a half a block after coming out of the parking garage, there's a sudden immediacy to
everything. The rain is hammering at my body and the wind is whipping the bike. Cars are streaming
down Second Avenue, road construction on both sides of the street and a lane is blocked off, I'm
zipping along at 20 or 25 miles an hour in the stream of traffic, changing lanes, judging the speed
of the city bus, is that taxi actually going to turn left at the corner? Bam-bam-bam I have to make
decisions and there's a physical reality that my life could end right here if I screw up.

So, it was raining, and it started raining harder. It got colder. At some point, around Factoria, I
realized, it's sleeting. Little pellets of ice were striking my jacket. Some of it was snow. Some of
it was rain. It was probably hovering around the mid 30s, so the pavement was still very wet and
whooshes of rain were streaming off of my fenders as I traversed puddles. I waited at a light, where
there's an on-ramp to the freeway, and two lanes of left-turning traffic (I'm in the no. 2 lane of
these) and more lanes going straight. Lots of cars, and I'm being sleeted on while I'm waiting for
the light to turn. I start to laugh, which probably only cemented the verdict of "insane" among the
drivers in my immediate area.

I came down the hill a little slower than usual, maybe at 30 mph. The tiny icicles that were
pricking me before were now stabbing my face. ow! ow! ow! I was double gloved, but my fingers were
completely wet and frozen. For a few minutes I tucked them into the palm of my glove so they'd thaw
a bit, and hoped I didn't have to brake at any point.

By the time I was in the last mile before home, the storm started to slack. It was now turning back
to light rain.

When I got home, and peeled off my tights, my legs were bright red. Some sort of road grease had
penetrated my tights in spots, so I had these half-inch black blotches all over my shins and to some
extent, my thighs. It looked like I had some sort of weird skin disease.

Of course, the shower was like a religious experience. A vault of hot steam and water completely
renewing the body. Ah.

Warm Regards,

Claire Petersky [email protected] Home of the meditative cyclist at:

Claire wrote:>Bam-bam-bam I have to
>make decisions and there's a physical reality that my life could end right here if I screw up.
>

>So, it was raining, and it started raining harder

Claire; your're a real trooper! Glad you made it home safely.

Jim

### On Sat, 08 Mar 2003 00:04:01 GMT, [email protected] (Claire Petersky)
### [CP] casually decided to expound upon rec.bicycles.misc the following thoughts about Sleet:

CP> So, it was raining, and it started raining harder. It got colder. At some point, around
CP> Factoria, I realized, it's sleeting. Little pellets of ice were striking my jacket. Some of it
CP> was snow. Some of it was rain. It was probably hovering around the mid 30s, so the pavement was
CP> still very wet and whooshes of rain were streaming off of my fenders as I traversed puddles. I
CP> waited at a light, where there's an on-ramp to the freeway, and two lanes of left-turning
CP> traffic (I'm in the no. 2 lane of these) and more lanes going straight. Lots of cars, and I'm
CP> being sleeted on while I'm waiting for the light to turn. I start to laugh, which probably only
CP> cemented the verdict of "insane" among the drivers in my immediate area.

Around 2PM I was about to knock off work and go out for my typical afternoon ride (I work from
home). I looked outside and saw a full-fldged snowstorm (I'm up on the Sammamish Plateau). So
figured I'd skip the road bike (the drivers get more dangerous up here when things get slicker) and
went for the mountain bike. I live next to the Beaver Lake Trail System and did a few loops through
it while the snow was coming down hard. It was beautiful in the woods... wet, slushy, muddy but
still beautiful.

--
/*===================[ Jake Khuon <[email protected]> ]======================+
| Packet Plumber, Network Engineers /| / [~ [~ |) | | --------------- | for Effective Bandwidth
| Utilisation / |/ [_ [_ |) |_| N E T W O R K S |
+=========================================================================*/

> When I rode to work this morning, it was just a little colder than I expected. I was thinking,
> mid-40s, light rain. It was more like upper 30s, light rain.
>
> When I got off work, I was wheeling the bike out of the gloom of the garage, and noted, "wet
> pavement". I emerged fully from the garage, and thought, "rain".
>
> There's often a shock when I first start riding when I get off of work. Sure, there's sometimes
> crises at work, but I usually have some time for decisions, and no one is going to die if I make a
> mistake. But a half a block after coming out of the parking garage, there's a sudden immediacy to
> everything. The rain is hammering at my body and the wind is whipping the bike. Cars are streaming
> down Second Avenue, road construction on both sides of the street and a lane is blocked off, I'm
> zipping along at 20 or 25 miles an hour in the stream of traffic, changing lanes, judging the
> speed of the city bus, is that taxi actually going to turn left at the corner? Bam-bam-bam I have
> to make decisions and there's a physical reality that my life could end right here if I screw up.
>
> So, it was raining, and it started raining harder. It got colder. At some point, around Factoria,
> I realized, it's sleeting. Little pellets of ice were striking my jacket. Some of it was snow.
> Some of it was rain. It was probably hovering around the mid 30s, so the pavement was still very
> wet and whooshes of rain were streaming off of my fenders as I traversed puddles. I waited at a
> light, where there's an on-ramp to the freeway, and two lanes of left-turning traffic (I'm in the
> no. 2 lane of these) and more lanes going straight. Lots of cars, and I'm being sleeted on while
> I'm waiting for the light to turn. I start to laugh, which probably only cemented the verdict of
> "insane" among the drivers in my immediate area.
>
> I came down the hill a little slower than usual, maybe at 30 mph. The tiny icicles that were
> pricking me before were now stabbing my face. ow! ow! ow! I was double gloved, but my fingers were
> completely wet and frozen. For a few minutes I tucked them into the palm of my glove so they'd
> thaw a bit, and hoped I didn't have to brake at any point.
>
> By the time I was in the last mile before home, the storm started to slack. It was now turning
> back to light rain.
>
> When I got home, and peeled off my tights, my legs were bright red. Some sort of road grease had
> penetrated my tights in spots, so I had these half-inch black blotches all over my shins and to
> some extent, my thighs. It looked like I had some sort of weird skin disease.
>
> Of course, the shower was like a religious experience. A vault of hot steam and water completely
> renewing the body. Ah.
>
> Warm Regards,

I didn't hear how many fender-benders there were here in San Diego Co. last time it rained. The
people on the radio did say that the CHP were only responding to injury accidents...

I tend to skip riding in the rain here! Too many idiot drivers. Since I know either tomorrow or the
next day are going to be beautiful again, I'll wait. Worst case is to ride the trainer, but I
usually talk myself out of
it.

I did use to ride in the rain in the DC area. Seems that the drivers there don't have as big a
problem as they do here. Snow, on the other hand...

Mike

[email protected] (Claire Petersky) wrote in news:[email protected]:

> When I rode to work this morning, it was just a little colder than I expected. I was thinking,
> mid-40s, light rain. It was more like upper 30s, light rain.

brevity snip

Spring is almost here so I guess we got to have at least one funked up day, just to say we actually
had winter this year. I didn't dress for it either even though I always check the NWS radar before I
go out the door.

I like the skies on funky weather days however. All indigo, and silver, with hints of orange. Clouds
are jamming by faster than the cars and lower than the jets streaming water contrails as they
descend into Seatac or Boeing Field.

snip

> Of course, the shower was like a religious experience. A vault of

hot steam

and water completely renewing the body. Ah.

> Warm Regards,

Shouldn¹t that be with ³HOT² Regards...???
> Claire Petersky [email protected]

> Home of the meditative cyclist at: http://home.earthlink.net/~cpetersky/Welcome.htm

Glad you are home safely.

HAND

garmonboezia <cthvlhv@r'lyeh.arg> wrote:
> [email protected] (Claire Petersky) wrote in
> news:[email protected]:
>
>> When I rode to work this morning, it was just a little colder than I expected. I was thinking,
>> mid-40s, light rain. It was more like upper 30s, light rain.
>>

> brevity snip
>>

> Spring is almost here so I guess we got to have at least one funked up day, just to say we
> actually had winter this year. I didn't dress for it either even though I always check the NWS
> radar before I go out the door.

Even though I normally bike fridays, I missed this one (enjoying the sunny weather in San Francisco
during a very short trip (Thur + Fri)). Not that I'm all that unhappy about not getting
rained/sleeted on.

> I like the skies on funky weather days however. All indigo, and silver, with hints of orange.
> Clouds are jamming by faster than the cars and lower than the jets streaming water contrails as
> they descend into Seatac or Boeing Field.

I'm just glad the days are getting long enough that there is sun to see the funky weather days by.
Until recently I was peddling too and from work in the dark. Ah well, it still beats driving.

--
Dane Jackson - z u v e m b i @ u n i x b i g o t s . o r g You know it's going to be a bad day when
you want to put on the clothes you wore home from the party and there aren't any.

"Dane Jackson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]... <snip>

> I'm just glad the days are getting long enough that there is sun to see
the
> funky weather days by. Until recently I was peddling too and from work in the dark. Ah well, it
> still beats driving.

Psssssstt! Hey Dane! Before you get really reamed by someone around here, you should take note that
"peddling" is selling wares and "pedaling" is what you do to make a bicycle go.

Now may the newsgroup gremlins befuddle my post before it reaches the masses.....

:)

-Buck

Buck <j u n k m a i l @ g a l a x y c o r p . c o m> wrote:
> "Dane Jackson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]... <snip>
>
>> I'm just glad the days are getting long enough that there is sun to see
> the
>> funky weather days by. Until recently I was peddling too and from work in the dark. Ah well, it
>> still beats driving.
>

> Psssssstt! Hey Dane! Before you get really reamed by someone around here, you should take note
> that "peddling" is selling wares and "pedaling" is what you do to make a bicycle go.

Doh!

I do know the difference, but I probably shouldn't post when I'm so tired.

--
Dane Jackson - z u v e m b i @ u n i x b i g o t s . o r g "On the Internet, no one knows you're
using Windows NT" (Submitted by Ramiro Estrugo, [email protected])

"Claire Petersky" <[email protected]> a écrit dans le message de news:
[email protected]...
> When I rode to work this morning, it was just a little colder than I expected. I was thinking,
> mid-40s, light rain. It was more like upper 30s, light rain.
>
> .... At some point, I realized, it's sleeting. Little pellets of ice were striking my jacket.
> Some of it was snow. Some of it was rain. It was probably hovering around the mid 30s, so the
> pavement was still very wet and whooshes of rain were streaming off of my fenders as I traversed
> puddles. ....

Welcome to the club ! Ice pellets and icing rain aren't exactly comfortable, although safety glasses
help. On the other hand, nothing beats a ride in 10-20 cm of fresh snow !

Regards,

--
Michel Gagnon -- Montréal (Québec, Canada) mailto:[email protected]

"M Gagnon" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> "Claire Petersky" <[email protected]> a écrit dans le message de news:
> [email protected]...
> > When I rode to work this morning, it was just a little colder than I expected. I was thinking,
> > mid-40s, light rain. It was more like upper 30s, light rain.
> >
> > .... At some point, I realized, it's sleeting. Little pellets of ice were striking my jacket.
> > Some of it was snow. Some of it was rain. It was probably hovering around the mid 30s, so the
> > pavement was still very wet and whooshes of rain were streaming off of my fenders as I traversed
> > puddles. ....
>

> snip<

> On the other hand, nothing beats a ride in 10-20 cm of fresh snow !

Wrong!

Robin Hubert