Slicing Magic

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by Launa, Apr 14, 2004.

  1. Launa

    Launa Guest

    This may be old to some of you but I've never seen it
    posted, so here goes.

    When I was watching the Good Eats man, Alton Brown?, he
    stuck a mushroom in an old-fashioned egg slicer and sliced
    it just as pretty as you pleased. Pretty wonderful, huh?

    Wait, that's not all. For no extra charge, you get (my
    idea), sliced strawberries!! I sliced two pints of
    strawberries in no time at all. Don't let the giant ones
    fool you, they too, will slice.

    Warning!! After you have sliced two pints of strawberries,
    you will have strawberry spit all over the counter,
    backsplash, window and your clothes. So, do this IN THE SINK
    not on the counter. Actually, the slices are so prefect that
    the clean-up was worth it.

    What next? Grapes? Bananas? Maybe even eggs? Certainly
    mushrooms, olives?

    What else???

    Tags:

  2. Elaine

    Elaine Guest

    "LaUna" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > This may be old to some of you but I've never seen it
    > posted, so here
    goes.

    > When I was watching the Good Eats man, Alton Brown?, he
    > stuck a mushroom in an old-fashioned egg slicer and
    > sliced it just as pretty as you pleased. Pretty
    > wonderful, huh?
    >
    > Wait, that's not all. For no extra charge, you get (my
    > idea), sliced strawberries!! I sliced two pints of
    > strawberries in no time at all. Don't let the giant ones
    > fool you, they too, will slice.
    >
    > Warning!! After you have sliced two pints of
    > strawberries, you will have strawberry spit all over the
    > counter, backsplash, window and your clothes. So, do
    > this IN THE SINK not on the counter. Actually, the
    > slices are so prefect that the clean-up was worth it.
    >
    > What next? Grapes? Bananas? Maybe even eggs? Certainly
    > mushrooms,
    olives?

    > What else???

    Weird, I was in a store last week and saw this cleverly
    disguised contraption and had to ask what it was - an egg
    slicer. I might have thought more than twice about buying
    it if I'd known all the other stuff it could have sliced.

    Thanks for the tip.

    Elaine

  3. "LaUna" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > This may be old to some of you but I've never seen it
    > posted, so here
    goes.

    > When I was watching the Good Eats man, Alton Brown?, he
    > stuck a mushroom in an old-fashioned egg slicer and sliced
    > it just as pretty as you pleased. Pretty wonderful, huh?
    >
    > Wait, that's not all. For no extra charge, you get (my
    > idea), sliced strawberries!! I sliced two pints of
    > strawberries in no time at all. Don't let the giant ones
    > fool you, they too, will slice.
    >
    > Warning!! After you have sliced two pints of strawberries,
    > you will have strawberry spit all over the counter,
    > backsplash, window and your clothes. So, do this IN THE
    > SINK not on the counter. Actually, the slices are so
    > prefect that the clean-up was worth it.
    >
    > What next? Grapes? Bananas? Maybe even eggs? Certainly
    > mushrooms,
    olives?

    > What else???

    That's funny. Just this past weekend I decided not to buy an
    egg slicer while I was in a kitchen gadget store because I
    didn't think I'd use it. Now I think I'll grab one next time
    that I am there.

    Jessica

  4. Louis Cohen

    Louis Cohen Guest

    I use a mandoline when I have a lot of stuff to slice,
    typically cucumber salad or maybe cole slaw for a party.
    But, if there isn't that much, I really enjoy slicing with a
    nice, sharp knife.

    ----------------
    ----
    Louis Cohen Living la vida loca at N37° 43' 7.9" W122° 8'
    42.8"

    "LaUna" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > This may be old to some of you but I've never seen it
    > posted, so here
    goes.

    > When I was watching the Good Eats man, Alton Brown?, he
    > stuck a mushroom in an old-fashioned egg slicer and sliced
    > it just as pretty as you pleased. Pretty wonderful, huh?
    >
    > Wait, that's not all. For no extra charge, you get (my
    > idea), sliced strawberries!! I sliced two pints of
    > strawberries in no time at all. Don't let the giant ones
    > fool you, they too, will slice.
    >
    > Warning!! After you have sliced two pints of strawberries,
    > you will have strawberry spit all over the counter,
    > backsplash, window and your clothes. So, do this IN THE
    > SINK not on the counter. Actually, the slices are so
    > prefect that the clean-up was worth it.
    >
    > What next? Grapes? Bananas? Maybe even eggs? Certainly
    > mushrooms,
    olives?

    > What else???

  5. Steve Wertz

    Steve Wertz Guest

    On Wed, 14 Apr 2004 15:58:09 -0600, LaUna
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >This may be old to some of you but I've never seen it
    >posted, so here goes.
    >
    >When I was watching the Good Eats man, Alton Brown?, he
    >stuck a mushroom in an old-fashioned egg slicer and
    >sliced it
    >What next? Grapes? Bananas? Maybe even eggs? Certainly
    >mushrooms, olives?

    "Maybe even eggs"? It's *already* and egg slicer. I would
    assume you could do eggs with it.

    -sw

  6. Jlove98905

    Jlove98905 Guest

    I actually bought a mushroom slicer - same overall concept
    as an egg slicer, only the cup where the egg would sit is
    mushroom shaped. In retrospect, I kind of wish I'd gotten
    an egg slicer, because you can't really do eggs in the
    mushroom slicer.

    Live and learn, I guess. Then go buy an egg slicer :) -jen
    Half the people you know are below average. -Steven Wright

  7. On Wed, 14 Apr 2004 15:58:09 -0600, LaUna
    <[email protected]> arranged random neurons, so they looked
    like this:

    >This may be old to some of you but I've never seen it
    >posted, so here goes.
    >
    >When I was watching the Good Eats man, Alton Brown?, he
    >stuck a mushroom in an old-fashioned egg slicer and sliced
    >it just as pretty as you pleased. Pretty wonderful, huh?

    <snippidy>

    OMG! I could just *scream*! I have used an egg slicer
    forEVER and only used it for <head slapping> slicing eggs! I
    am an idiot! Whyinhell did I never think of using this for
    mushrooms? What a great idea! Thank you for passing this on!

    Terry "Squeaks" Pulliam Burd AAC(F)BV66.0748.CA

    "If the soup had been as hot as the claret, if the claret
    had been as old as the bird, and if the bird's breasts had
    been as full as the waitress', it would have been a very
    good dinner." Anonymous.

    To reply, remove replace "shcox" with "cox"

  8. Hahabogus

    Hahabogus Guest

    Terry Pulliam Burd <[email protected]> wrote in
    news:[email protected]:

    > OMG! I could just *scream*! I have used an egg slicer
    > forEVER and only used it for <head slapping> slicing eggs!
    > I am an idiot! Whyinhell did I never think of using this
    > for mushrooms? What a great idea! Thank you for passing
    > this on!
    >
    > Terry "Squeaks" Pulliam Burd AAC(F)BV66.0748.CA
    >
    > "If the soup had been as hot as the claret, if the claret
    > had been as old as the bird, and if the bird's breasts had
    > been as full as the waitress', it would have been a very
    > good dinner." Anonymous.
    >
    > To reply, remove replace "shcox" with "cox"

    You need a sturdy steel egg slicer...Mushrooms will
    eventually destroy a plastic slicer.

    --
    Once during Prohibition I was forced to live for days on
    nothing but food and water.

  9. The Joneses

    The Joneses Guest

    LaUna wrote:

    > This may be old to some of you but I've never seen it
    > posted, so here goes.
    >
    > When I was watching the Good Eats man, Alton Brown?, he
    > stuck a mushroom in an old-fashioned egg slicer and sliced
    > it just as pretty as you pleased. Pretty wonderful, huh?
    >
    > Wait, that's not all. For no extra charge, you get (my
    > idea), sliced strawberries!! I sliced two pints of
    > strawberries in no time at all. Don't let the giant ones
    > fool you, they too, will slice.
    >
    > Warning!! After you have sliced two pints of strawberries,
    > you will have strawberry spit all over the counter,
    > backsplash, window and your clothes. So, do this IN THE
    > SINK not on the counter. Actually, the slices are so
    > prefect that the clean-up was worth it.
    >
    > What next? Grapes? Bananas? Maybe even eggs? Certainly
    > mushrooms, olives?
    >
    > What else???

    Actually, I'm planning to use my egg slicer to slice cooked
    beets for pickled beets. Edrena.

  10. The Joneses <[email protected]> wrote in
    news:[email protected]:

    > LaUna wrote:
    >
    >> This may be old to some of you but I've never seen it
    >> posted, so here goes.
    >>
    >> When I was watching the Good Eats man, Alton Brown?, he
    >> stuck a mushroom in an old-fashioned egg slicer and
    >> sliced it just as pretty as you pleased. Pretty
    >> wonderful, huh?
    >>
    >> Wait, that's not all. For no extra charge, you get (my
    >> idea), sliced strawberries!! I sliced two pints of
    >> strawberries in no time at all. Don't let the giant ones
    >> fool you, they too, will slice.
    >>
    >> Warning!! After you have sliced two pints of
    >> strawberries, you will have strawberry spit all over the
    >> counter, backsplash, window and your clothes. So, do this
    >> IN THE SINK not on the counter. Actually, the slices are
    >> so prefect that the clean-up was worth it.
    >>
    >> What next? Grapes? Bananas? Maybe even eggs? Certainly
    >> mushrooms, olives?
    >>
    >> What else???
    >
    > Actually, I'm planning to use my egg slicer to slice
    > cooked beets for pickled beets. Edrena.

    That works great. I've done that several times. Grapes,
    however, will squish and just make a mess.

    I also have a "butter slicer" that takes a standard 1/4 lb.
    "stick" of butter. I use that for slicing bananas.

    Wayne

  11. Katra

    Katra Guest

    In article <[email protected]>,
    Wayne Boatwright <[email protected]> wrote:

    > The Joneses <[email protected]> wrote in
    > news:[email protected]:
    >
    > > LaUna wrote:
    > >
    > >> This may be old to some of you but I've never seen it
    > >> posted, so here goes.
    > >>
    > >> When I was watching the Good Eats man, Alton Brown?, he
    > >> stuck a mushroom in an old-fashioned egg slicer and
    > >> sliced it just as pretty as you pleased. Pretty
    > >> wonderful, huh?
    > >>
    > >> Wait, that's not all. For no extra charge, you get (my
    > >> idea), sliced strawberries!! I sliced two pints of
    > >> strawberries in no time at all. Don't let the giant
    > >> ones fool you, they too, will slice.
    > >>
    > >> Warning!! After you have sliced two pints of
    > >> strawberries, you will have strawberry spit all over
    > >> the counter, backsplash, window and your clothes. So,
    > >> do this IN THE SINK not on the counter. Actually, the
    > >> slices are so prefect that the clean-up was worth it.
    > >>
    > >> What next? Grapes? Bananas? Maybe even eggs? Certainly
    > >> mushrooms, olives?
    > >>
    > >> What else???
    > >
    > > Actually, I'm planning to use my egg slicer to slice
    > > cooked beets for pickled beets. Edrena.
    >
    > That works great. I've done that several times. Grapes,
    > however, will squish and just make a mess.
    >
    > I also have a "butter slicer" that takes a standard 1/4
    > lb. "stick" of butter. I use that for slicing bananas.
    >
    > Wayne

    Why do you want to slice grapes? :-o They are already
    bite sized...

    K the curious?

    --
    Sprout the Mung Bean to reply...

    http://cgi6.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewSellersOtherItems-
    &include=0&userid=katra

  12. EskWIRED

    EskWIRED Guest

    In rec.food.cooking, Katra <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Why do you want to slice grapes? :-o They are already bite
    > sized...

    When I make a fruit salad, I always slice the grapes in half
    to release the juice. Indeed, I find fruit salad with
    unsliced grapes to be amateurish. YMMV.

    --
    ...I'm an air-conditioned gypsy...

    - The Who

  13. Limey

    Limey Guest

    "Terry Pulliam Burd" wrote in message > >This may be old to
    some of you but I've never seen it posted, so here goes.

    > OMG! I could just *scream*! I have used an egg slicer
    > forEVER and only used it for <head slapping> slicing eggs!
    > I am an idiot! Whyinhell did I never think of using this
    > for mushrooms? What a great idea! Thank you for passing
    > this on!
    >
    > Terry "Squeaks" Pulliam Burd AAC(F)BV66.0748.CA

    That's OK, Terry - I just hit myself "upside the head", too.
    My egg slicer is probably an antique. Now that I can branch
    out - I wonder how it would work on small, firm tomatoes?
    (Reminder to me: go and find a small, firm tomato.) Or maybe
    they'd squish.

    Dora

  14. Kilikini

    Kilikini Guest

    "limey" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > "Terry Pulliam Burd" wrote in message > >This may be old
    > to some of you
    but
    > I've never seen it posted, so here goes.
    > > >

    > > OMG! I could just *scream*! I have used an egg slicer
    > > forEVER and only used it for <head slapping> slicing
    > > eggs! I am an idiot! Whyinhell did I never think of
    > > using this for mushrooms? What a great idea! Thank you
    > > for passing this on!
    > >
    > > Terry "Squeaks" Pulliam Burd AAC(F)BV66.0748.CA
    >
    > That's OK, Terry - I just hit myself "upside the head",
    > too. My egg
    slicer
    > is probably an antique. Now that I can branch out - I
    > wonder how it would work on small, firm tomatoes?
    > (Reminder to me: go and find a small, firm tomato.) Or
    > maybe they'd squish.
    >
    > Dora

    My guess is that they'd squish. Anyone care to wager?

    kili

  15. Limey

    Limey Guest

    "kilikini" wrote in message >

    "limey" wrote in message

    > > "Terry Pulliam Burd" wrote in message
    > > >
    > > > OMG! I could just *scream*! I have used an egg slicer
    > > > forEVER and only used it for <head slapping> slicing
    > > > eggs! I am an idiot! Whyinhell did I never think of
    > > > using this for mushrooms? What a great idea! Thank you
    > > > for passing this on!
    > > >
    > > > Terry "Squeaks" Pulliam Burd AAC(F)BV66.0748.CA
    > >
    > > That's OK, Terry - I just hit myself "upside the head",
    > > too. My egg
    > slicer
    > > is probably an antique. Now that I can branch out - I
    > > wonder how it
    would
    > > work on small, firm tomatoes? (Reminder to me: go and
    > > find a small,
    firm
    > > tomato.) Or maybe they'd squish.
    > >
    > > Dora
    > >

    > My guess is that they'd squish. Anyone care to wager?
    >
    > kili

    Not I - I know how to quit while I'm ahead. I don't want my
    nickel going down the drain!

    Dora

    Dora

  16. Donna Rose

    Donna Rose Guest

    In article <[email protected]>,
    [email protected] says...
    > In rec.food.cooking, Katra
    > <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > > Why do you want to slice grapes? :-o They are already
    > > bite sized...
    >
    > When I make a fruit salad, I always slice the grapes in
    > half to release the juice. Indeed, I find fruit salad with
    > unsliced grapes to be amateurish. YMMV.

    I do the same thing with grape tomatoes when I add them
    to a salad.
    --
    Donna A pessimist believes all women are bad. An optimist
    hopes they are.