Slick mtn bike tyres - any recommendations?

Paulus

Guest
Hi there, in preparation for the GVBR, i bunged the tyres that were on last
year's freebe bike onto my good mtn bike. Talk about heavy dead and
unresponsive!! So, can anyone recommend a good set of fast slicks for mtn
bikes?

Cheers
ATX840

IRC Metro *DURO* 1.5", make sure you get the duro version. The roll nicely and have good puncture resistance.

till

Paulus said:
Hi there, in preparation for the GVBR, i bunged the tyres that were on last
year's freebe bike onto my good mtn bike. Talk about heavy dead and
unresponsive!! So, can anyone recommend a good set of fast slicks for mtn
bikes?

Cheers
ATX840
I'm using Maxxis Xenith tires. Not the best in the wet (they have no tread) but they are good apart from that. Phantom cycles has em cheap.

GPW said:
I'm going for the Conti Sport Contact next time around.
Conti can bike my **** after those Avenues. They are, without a doubt, the worst MTB tyres ive bought. More pitch for the duros; I got another set today (for another bike), they cost less than $60/pr, with 2 sets of zefal rim tapes which I also needed.

Did I mention I really hate their rim tape? It has now caused three punctures on two different bikes? Its probably off all my bikes now.

till

Paulus wrote:
> Hi there, in preparation for the GVBR, i bunged the tyres that were on last
> year's freebe bike onto my good mtn bike. Talk about heavy dead and
> unresponsive!! So, can anyone recommend a good set of fast slicks for mtn
> bikes?
>
> Cheers
> ATX840

I can recommend Specialized's 26x1.25 "Fat Boy" slicks for
tarmac and hardpack riding.
http://www.specialized.com/bc/SBCEqProduct.jsp?spid=11231

I've been running them at their 100psi max rating for commuting
and they're slicker than bat snot.
No premature failures to speak of and they've proved
reasonably puncture resistant.

Hippy compiled a list of MTB slicks a while ago.
Check out his Blog.
http://www.thehippy.net/Cycling/mtb_slicks.htm

Pete.B

Skewer said:
I can recommend Specialized's 26x1.25 "Fat Boy" slicks for
tarmac and hardpack riding.
http://www.specialized.com/bc/SBCEqProduct.jsp?spid=11231

I've been running them at their 100psi max rating for commuting
and they're slicker than bat snot.
No premature failures to speak of and they've proved
reasonably puncture resistant.

Me too. been commuting on em for approx 12 months now. got a new set hanging in shed waiting till the current ones show bad signs, but they are fine. Fast, light, and cheaper than many others

i've been riding hutchinson gold 26x1 for quite a while - good in wet and
dry, low puncture count, fast and hard wearing - so good i brought another
set for when these ones have their final moment

i've not ridden any others but neither have i felt motivated to

"Paulus" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Hi there, in preparation for the GVBR, i bunged the tyres that were on
> last year's freebe bike onto my good mtn bike. Talk about heavy dead and
> unresponsive!! So, can anyone recommend a good set of fast slicks for mtn
> bikes?
>
> Cheers
> ATX840

Another vote for the 'Fat Boy'.

I have been using them for a couple of months and am impressed with the
increased speed and lower rolling resistance compared with my knobby tires.

Here is a photo of them on my bike:
http://users.bigpond.net.au/sk/mtb/167_6759.jpg
http://users.bigpond.net.au/sk/mtb/167_6760_r1.jpg

news:[email protected]...

Paulus said:
Hi there, in preparation for the GVBR, i bunged the tyres that were on last
year's freebe bike onto my good mtn bike. Talk about heavy dead and
unresponsive!! So, can anyone recommend a good set of fast slicks for mtn
bikes?

Cheers
ATX840
I haven't tried the Ritchey Tom Slicks, but they were on special at $15 from the distributer a few weeks ago in both 26x1.0 and 26x1.4. Check your LBS if they have them or can still get them at that price.
http://www.dirtworks.com.au/newsite/images/stories/massive%20moving%20sale%20consumer%20sheet.xls

Most slicks that I have used have worked fine including:
WTB Slickasaurus, Geax StreetRunner, and Schwalbe Marathon which are the choice of long distance touring cyclists.

I've been using Continental T&C 1.9s on my MTB for commuting. The
centre strip is slick and the outer is indented, which helps when I
can't be bothered switching tires for an off-road diversion.

I don't want my tires too light and go faster, cos then I would have to
ride further to get the hours up.

Donga

And another vote here for Specialized Fatboys. I have also used IRC Metro and Metro Duro, but these are quite a bit heavier than the Fatboys.

"slaw" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

| Paulus Wrote:
| > Hi there, in preparation for the GVBR, i bunged the tyres that were on
| > last
| > year's freebe bike onto my good mtn bike. Talk about heavy dead and
| > unresponsive!! So, can anyone recommend a good set of fast slicks for
| > mtn
| > bikes?
| >
| > Cheers
| > ATX840
| I haven't tried the Ritchey Tom Slicks, but they were on special at
| $15 from the distributer a few weeks ago in both 26x1.0 and 26x1.4.
| Check your LBS if they have them or can still get them at that price.
| http://tinyurl.com/75pr5
|
| Most slicks that I have used have worked fine including:
| WTB Slickasaurus, Geax StreetRunner, and Schwalbe Marathon which are
| the choice of long distance touring cyclists.
|

| --
| slaw

I second the Geax Street runners... very happy with these on my bike...

"slaw" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

| Paulus Wrote:
| > Hi there, in preparation for the GVBR, i bunged the tyres that were on
| > last
| > year's freebe bike onto my good mtn bike. Talk about heavy dead and
| > unresponsive!! So, can anyone recommend a good set of fast slicks for
| > mtn
| > bikes?
| >
| > Cheers
| > ATX840
| I haven't tried the Ritchey Tom Slicks, but they were on special at
| $15 from the distributer a few weeks ago in both 26x1.0 and 26x1.4.
| Check your LBS if they have them or can still get them at that price.
| http://tinyurl.com/75pr5
|
| Most slicks that I have used have worked fine including:
| WTB Slickasaurus, Geax StreetRunner, and Schwalbe Marathon which are
| the choice of long distance touring cyclists.
|

| --
| slaw

I second the Geax Street runners... very happy with these on my bike...

> They would last even longer if you didnt leave so much of em all over
> the tiles too :D:D:D
>
> http://users.bigpond.net.au/sk/mtb/167_6760_r1.jpg
>

> --
> flyingdutch

Thats from my motorbike and its leaking carb.

You should try reversing a motorbike down a slippery (petrol) garage which
is sloped. Like driving on ice. :)