Slick mtn bike tyres - any recommendations?

Discussion in 'Australia and New Zealand' started by Paulus, Nov 22, 2005.

  1. Paulus

    Paulus Guest

    Hi there, in preparation for the GVBR, i bunged the tyres that were on last
    year's freebe bike onto my good mtn bike. Talk about heavy dead and
    unresponsive!! So, can anyone recommend a good set of fast slicks for mtn
    bikes?

    Cheers
    ATX840

    Tags:

  2. till!

    till! New Member

    Joined:
    Nov 19, 2004
    IRC Metro *DURO* 1.5", make sure you get the duro version. The roll nicely and have good puncture resistance.

    till

  3. SomeGuy

    SomeGuy New Member

    Joined:
    May 18, 2004
    I'm using Maxxis Xenith tires. Not the best in the wet (they have no tread) but they are good apart from that. Phantom cycles has em cheap.

  4. GPW

    GPW Guest

  5. GPW

    GPW Guest

  6. till!

    till! New Member

    Joined:
    Nov 19, 2004
    Conti can bike my arse after those Avenues. They are, without a doubt, the worst MTB tyres ive bought. More pitch for the duros; I got another set today (for another bike), they cost less than $60/pr, with 2 sets of zefal rim tapes which I also needed.

    Did I mention I really hate their rim tape? It has now caused three punctures on two different bikes? Its probably off all my bikes now.

    till

  7. Skewer

    Skewer Guest

    Paulus wrote:
    > Hi there, in preparation for the GVBR, i bunged the tyres that were on last
    > year's freebe bike onto my good mtn bike. Talk about heavy dead and
    > unresponsive!! So, can anyone recommend a good set of fast slicks for mtn
    > bikes?
    >
    > Cheers
    > ATX840

    I can recommend Specialized's 26x1.25 "Fat Boy" slicks for
    tarmac and hardpack riding.
    http://www.specialized.com/bc/SBCEqProduct.jsp?spid=11231

    I've been running them at their 100psi max rating for commuting
    and they're slicker than bat snot.
    No premature failures to speak of and they've proved
    reasonably puncture resistant.

    Hippy compiled a list of MTB slicks a while ago.
    Check out his Blog.
    http://www.thehippy.net/Cycling/mtb_slicks.htm

    Pete.B

  8. Skewer

    Skewer Guest

    Paulus wrote:
    > Hi there, in preparation for the GVBR, i bunged the tyres that were on last
    > year's freebe bike onto my good mtn bike. Talk about heavy dead and
    > unresponsive!! So, can anyone recommend a good set of fast slicks for mtn
    > bikes?
    >
    > Cheers
    > ATX840

    I can recommend Specialized's 26x1.25 "Fat Boy" slicks for
    tarmac and hardpack riding.
    http://www.specialized.com/bc/SBCEqProduct.jsp?spid=11231

    I've been running them at their 100psi max rating for commuting
    and they're slicker than bat snot.
    No premature failures to speak of and they've proved
    reasonably puncture resistant.

    Hippy compiled a list of MTB slicks a while ago.
    Check out his Blog.
    http://www.thehippy.net/Cycling/mtb_slicks.htm

    Pete.B

  9. Skewer

    Skewer Guest

    Paulus wrote:
    > Hi there, in preparation for the GVBR, i bunged the tyres that were on last
    > year's freebe bike onto my good mtn bike. Talk about heavy dead and
    > unresponsive!! So, can anyone recommend a good set of fast slicks for mtn
    > bikes?
    >
    > Cheers
    > ATX840

    I can recommend Specialized's 26x1.25 "Fat Boy" slicks for
    tarmac and hardpack riding.
    http://www.specialized.com/bc/SBCEqProduct.jsp?spid=11231

    I've been running them at their 100psi max rating for commuting
    and they're slicker than bat snot.
    No premature failures to speak of and they've proved
    reasonably puncture resistant.

    Hippy compiled a list of MTB slicks a while ago.
    Check out his Blog.
    http://www.thehippy.net/Cycling/mtb_slicks.htm

    Pete.B

  10. flyingdutch

    flyingdutch New Member

    Joined:
    Feb 8, 2004
    Messages:
    5,700
    Me too. been commuting on em for approx 12 months now. got a new set hanging in shed waiting till the current ones show bad signs, but they are fine. Fast, light, and cheaper than many others

  11. jim

    jim Guest

    i've been riding hutchinson gold 26x1 for quite a while - good in wet and
    dry, low puncture count, fast and hard wearing - so good i brought another
    set for when these ones have their final moment

    i've not ridden any others but neither have i felt motivated to

    "Paulus" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Hi there, in preparation for the GVBR, i bunged the tyres that were on
    > last year's freebe bike onto my good mtn bike. Talk about heavy dead and
    > unresponsive!! So, can anyone recommend a good set of fast slicks for mtn
    > bikes?
    >
    > Cheers
    > ATX840

  12. 1013

    1013 Guest

    Another vote for the 'Fat Boy'.

    I have been using them for a couple of months and am impressed with the
    increased speed and lower rolling resistance compared with my knobby tires.

    Here is a photo of them on my bike:
    http://users.bigpond.net.au/sk/mtb/167_6759.jpg
    http://users.bigpond.net.au/sk/mtb/167_6760_r1.jpg

    "Skewer" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Paulus wrote:
    > > Hi there, in preparation for the GVBR, i bunged the tyres that were on

    last
    > > year's freebe bike onto my good mtn bike. Talk about heavy dead and
    > > unresponsive!! So, can anyone recommend a good set of fast slicks for

    mtn
    > > bikes?
    > >
    > > Cheers
    > > ATX840
    > >

    > I can recommend Specialized's 26x1.25 "Fat Boy" slicks for
    > tarmac and hardpack riding.
    > http://www.specialized.com/bc/SBCEqProduct.jsp?spid=11231
    >
    > I've been running them at their 100psi max rating for commuting
    > and they're slicker than bat snot.
    > No premature failures to speak of and they've proved
    > reasonably puncture resistant.
    >
    > Hippy compiled a list of MTB slicks a while ago.
    > Check out his Blog.
    > http://www.thehippy.net/Cycling/mtb_slicks.htm
    >
    > Pete.B

  13. slaw

    slaw New Member

    Joined:
    Dec 19, 2004
    I haven't tried the Ritchey Tom Slicks, but they were on special at $15 from the distributer a few weeks ago in both 26x1.0 and 26x1.4. Check your LBS if they have them or can still get them at that price.
    http://www.dirtworks.com.au/newsite/images/stories/massive%20moving%20sale%20consumer%20sheet.xls

    Most slicks that I have used have worked fine including:
    WTB Slickasaurus, Geax StreetRunner, and Schwalbe Marathon which are the choice of long distance touring cyclists.

  14. Donga

    Donga Guest

    I've been using Continental T&C 1.9s on my MTB for commuting. The
    centre strip is slick and the outer is indented, which helps when I
    can't be bothered switching tires for an off-road diversion.

    I don't want my tires too light and go faster, cos then I would have to
    ride further to get the hours up.

    Donga

  15. flyingdutch

    flyingdutch New Member

    Joined:
    Feb 8, 2004
    Messages:
    5,700
  16. roshea

    roshea Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    May 8, 2005
    Messages:
    2,308
    And another vote here for Specialized Fatboys. I have also used IRC Metro and Metro Duro, but these are quite a bit heavier than the Fatboys.

  17. Book

    Book Guest

    "slaw" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

    | Paulus Wrote:
    | > Hi there, in preparation for the GVBR, i bunged the tyres that were on
    | > last
    | > year's freebe bike onto my good mtn bike. Talk about heavy dead and
    | > unresponsive!! So, can anyone recommend a good set of fast slicks for
    | > mtn
    | > bikes?
    | >
    | > Cheers
    | > ATX840
    | I haven't tried the Ritchey Tom Slicks, but they were on special at
    | $15 from the distributer a few weeks ago in both 26x1.0 and 26x1.4.
    | Check your LBS if they have them or can still get them at that price.
    | http://tinyurl.com/75pr5
    |
    | Most slicks that I have used have worked fine including:
    | WTB Slickasaurus, Geax StreetRunner, and Schwalbe Marathon which are
    | the choice of long distance touring cyclists.
    |

    | --
    | slaw

    I second the Geax Street runners... very happy with these on my bike...

  18. Book

    Book Guest

    "slaw" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

    | Paulus Wrote:
    | > Hi there, in preparation for the GVBR, i bunged the tyres that were on
    | > last
    | > year's freebe bike onto my good mtn bike. Talk about heavy dead and
    | > unresponsive!! So, can anyone recommend a good set of fast slicks for
    | > mtn
    | > bikes?
    | >
    | > Cheers
    | > ATX840
    | I haven't tried the Ritchey Tom Slicks, but they were on special at
    | $15 from the distributer a few weeks ago in both 26x1.0 and 26x1.4.
    | Check your LBS if they have them or can still get them at that price.
    | http://tinyurl.com/75pr5
    |
    | Most slicks that I have used have worked fine including:
    | WTB Slickasaurus, Geax StreetRunner, and Schwalbe Marathon which are
    | the choice of long distance touring cyclists.
    |

    | --
    | slaw

    I second the Geax Street runners... very happy with these on my bike...

  19. 1013

    1013 Guest

    > They would last even longer if you didnt leave so much of em all over
    > the tiles too :D:D:D
    >
    > http://users.bigpond.net.au/sk/mtb/167_6760_r1.jpg
    >

    > --
    > flyingdutch

    Thats from my motorbike and its leaking carb.

    You should try reversing a motorbike down a slippery (petrol) garage which
    is sloped. Like driving on ice. :)