Sliding Carbon Seat Post in Carbon Fiber Frame

KnowWhen2HoldemKnowWhen2Foldem

Guest
I am sure this has been posted before, but I am having a slow slippage of
the seat post down the seat tube resulting in a changed riding position. I
have already tightened the seat tube clamp to the max. Any suggestions for
a friction solution to keep the seat post in place without ruining the post
or the seat tube?

KnowWhen2HoldemKnowWhen2Foldem wrote:
> I am sure this has been posted before, but I am having a slow slippage of
> the seat post down the seat tube resulting in a changed riding position. I
> have already tightened the seat tube clamp to the max. Any suggestions for
> a friction solution to keep the seat post in place without ruining the post
> or the seat tube?

yes, remove the grease. if it's not greased, there's something
preventing the clamp from tightening properly.

"KnowWhen2HoldemKnowWhen2Foldem" wrote: (clip) Any suggestions for
> a friction solution to keep the seat post in place without ruining the
> post or the seat tube?

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Someone else may offer a more elegant solution, but this works, it's simple
and cheap: a hose clamp around the seat tube.

There is no grease.

The carbon post just seems to slip against the carbon seat tube with the
allowable torque on the clamp.
Didn't someone post about some sort of friction spray-on material that
didn't result in the seat post bonding to the seat tube?

"jim beam" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> KnowWhen2HoldemKnowWhen2Foldem wrote:
>> I am sure this has been posted before, but I am having a slow slippage of
>> the seat post down the seat tube resulting in a changed riding position.
>> I have already tightened the seat tube clamp to the max. Any suggestions
>> for a friction solution to keep the seat post in place without ruining
>> the post or the seat tube?

> yes, remove the grease. if it's not greased, there's something preventing
> the clamp from tightening properly.

Around the seat tube, or the seat post at the point where the post enters
the seat tube?

"Leo Lichtman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> "KnowWhen2HoldemKnowWhen2Foldem" wrote: (clip) Any suggestions for
>> a friction solution to keep the seat post in place without ruining the
>> post or the seat tube?

> ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> Someone else may offer a more elegant solution, but this works, it's
> simple and cheap: a hose clamp around the seat tube.

On Wed, 10 Oct 2007 00:59:41 -0400, "KnowWhen2HoldemKnowWhen2Foldem"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>There is no grease.
>
>The carbon post just seems to slip against the carbon seat tube with the
>allowable torque on the clamp.
>Didn't someone post about some sort of friction spray-on material that
>didn't result in the seat post bonding to the seat tube?

Dear NoHold,

This stuff was mentioned in a similar thread with the caution that the
poster had no idea if it worked:

http://www.excelsports.com/new.asp?...tion=Liquid+Torque+5+grams&vendorCode=RITCHEY

Cheers,

Carl Fogel

On Oct 9, 11:02 pm, "KnowWhen2HoldemKnowWhen2Foldem"
<[email protected]> wrote:
> I am sure this has been posted before, but I am having a slow slippage of
> the seat post down the seat tube resulting in a changed riding position. I
> have already tightened the seat tube clamp to the max. Any suggestions for
> a friction solution to keep the seat post in place without ruining the post
> or the seat tube?

I've found simply cleaning the post and tube with alcohol works very
well. Clean both until a white paper towel comes away clean. I found a
noticable improvement compared to a "never greased" installation.

But the best I found is the Tackx carbon assembly compound. There are
other brands (Ritchey, Syntace, etc.) that might also work.

I also tried (and found not to work):
Rosin (from a violin store)
hair spray (either assembled wet or waiting and assembling dry)
SoftScrub
various tubes of "stuff" from the auto parts store (gasket sealers,
etc.)

On Oct 9, 10:02 pm, "KnowWhen2HoldemKnowWhen2Foldem"
<[email protected]> wrote:
> I am sure this has been posted before, but I am having a slow slippage of
> the seat post down the seat tube resulting in a changed riding position. I
> have already tightened the seat tube clamp to the max. Any suggestions for
> a friction solution to keep the seat post in place without ruining the post
> or the seat tube?

Tacx makes some 'stuff' for carbon/carbon applications to prevent what
you are seeing. See your bike shop or call us..we have it for sale.

On Oct 10, 12:01 am, "KnowWhen2HoldemKnowWhen2Foldem"
<[email protected]> wrote:
> Around the seat tube, or the seat post at the point where the post enters
> the seat tube?
>
> "Leo Lichtman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>
> news:[email protected]...
>

> > "KnowWhen2HoldemKnowWhen2Foldem" wrote: (clip) Any suggestions for
> >> a friction solution to keep the seat post in place without ruining the
> >> post or the seat tube?

> > ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> > Someone else may offer a more elegant solution, but this works, it's
> > simple and cheap: a hose clamp around the seat tube.- Hide quoted text -

Hose clamp around the seatpost where it enters the seattube. Just
above the clamp. It acts as a stop to prevent the seatpost from going
into the seattube. Saw this on an Orbea Orca on Hell Week 2006.
Unelegant for a many thousand dollar bike. But effective. Hose clamp
does not have to be super tight to keep the post from slipping down.
This would be a cheap and easy and quick solution until you try those
various friction sprays.

"KnowWhen2HoldemKnowWhen2Foldem" wrote: Around the seat tube, or the seat
post at the point where the post enters the seat tube?
Sorry, I misspoke. Others have answered for me: put the clamp around the
seat post, so that it rests on the top of the seat tube.

KnowWhen2HoldemKnowWhen2Foldem wrote:
> There is no grease.
>
> The carbon post just seems to slip against the carbon seat tube with the
> allowable torque on the clamp.
> Didn't someone post about some sort of friction spray-on material that
> didn't result in the seat post bonding to the seat tube?

check the clamp. you shouldn't need to resort to fudge.