Slight OT Google Maps

peterlip

New Member
Apr 10, 2005
DaveB said:
Terry Collins wrote:

> Do you know what DEM is used?
> The DEM (Digital Elevation Model) on Google Earth is appraently only 1Km
> readings.

No idea but definitely better than 1km readings. Have a look at the link
I posted before. It only shows a 1km section with a number of changes.

DaveB
Yep, definitely better than 1km. Here's my old commute (before they closed the bridge at Malvern Golf Course).
http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=93506

Treadly

New Member
Jan 11, 2006
On 18 May 2006 20:59:19 -0700, "Dave A" <[email protected]> wrote:

> This is new
>
> http://maps.google.com/
>
> Great new mapping website. There has been a serious lack of such a
> website till now.
> You can switch to "satelitte". Which gives s similar view to Google
> earth.
> However this part has been updated. I can see my house on Google Maps
> but not google Earth.

This is very old stuff.

Maps have been online for at least 10 years and satellite mapping of Australia for at least 6 years.
I've paid for the Google Earth upgrade version and I overlay maps and other aerial photographs on top so you get better resolution and it's still 3D. I also can upload GPS tracks and draw my own tracks freehand. Well worth it I reckon.
If you go to my blog and scroll down a bit and then click on the picture you'll see what it can do. I've left that particular picture "as is" but I normally overlay old maps to find disused tracks.

http://mundabiddi.blogspot.com/

Terry Collins

Guest
Damian wrote:

> You're not the Terry Collins who works for a mapping and GIS company
> are you ?

Which company?
Sort of wrong tense. Been fiddling in area for decades.

Spiny Norman

Guest
On Fri, 19 May 2006 14:35:03 +1000, DaveB
<[email protected]> wrote in aus.bicycle:

>I was thinking the same thing but then I had a look. In the past there
>was satellite view only for Aus (and probably anywhere other than US)
>but now they have the maps in as well for Aus.
>
>DaveB

Whenever I try to zoom into something resembling street level on the
satellite image it says," We are sorry but we don't have imagery at
this zoom level for this region" . The maps are OK but
http://www.whereis.com/ can also provide that and tell you what route
to take between two points

Regards
Prickles

Timendi causa est nescire
This message only uses recycled electrons

mikeg

New Member
Jun 6, 2003
Spiny Norman said:
On Fri, 19 May 2006 14:35:03 +1000, DaveB
<[email protected]> wrote in aus.bicycle:

>I was thinking the same thing but then I had a look. In the past there
>was satellite view only for Aus (and probably anywhere other than US)
>but now they have the maps in as well for Aus.
>
>DaveB

Whenever I try to zoom into something resembling street level on the
satellite image it says," We are sorry but we don't have imagery at
this zoom level for this region" . The maps are OK but
http://www.whereis.com/ can also provide that and tell you what route
to take between two points

Regards
Prickles

Timendi causa est nescire
This message only uses recycled electrons

If you use http://www.whereis.com/ for a route you only have choice of car with or without tolls or walking. Choosing walking for a route to cycle it will fail with it being too far to walk. they should put an option to use bike.

Mike