Slight OT Google Maps

Dave A

Guest
This is new

http://maps.google.com/

Great new mapping website. There has been a serious lack of such a
website till now.
You can switch to "satelitte". Which gives s similar view to Google
earth.
However this part has been updated. I can see my house on Google Maps
but not google Earth.

Cheers
DaveA

Bleve wrote:
> Dave A wrote:
>
>>This is new

> It is?

I was thinking the same thing but then I had a look. In the past there
was satellite view only for Aus (and probably anywhere other than US)
but now they have the maps in as well for Aus.

DaveB

There's an article in today's Age that suggests it's new (at least for
Australia).
It's new to me, I've been looking for something like this for "ages"
:)

Dave A wrote:
> There's an article in today's Age that suggests it's new (at least for
> Australia).
> It's new to me, I've been looking for something like this for "ages"
> :)

You might be better off with http://www.gmap-pedometer.com
which includes distances and altitude.

DaveB

Dave A wrote:
> There's an article in today's Age that suggests it's new (at least for
> Australia).
> It's new to me, I've been looking for something like this for "ages"
> :)

What I have noticed about it is that the satellite image of Canberra at
least is much older than the one they used to have available through
googlemaps. The house next door to ours has been mysteriously knocked
down and replaced with the one that was there a few years ago!!

--
Bean

Remove "yourfinger" before replying

DaveB wrote:
> Dave A wrote:
>> There's an article in today's Age that suggests it's new (at least for
>> Australia).
>> It's new to me, I've been looking for something like this for "ages"
>> :)
>>

> You might be better off with http://www.gmap-pedometer.com
> which includes distances and altitude.
>
> DaveB

Doesn't yet do altitude for places other than the US apparently

--

Bean Long wrote:
> DaveB wrote:
>
>> Dave A wrote:
>>
>>> There's an article in today's Age that suggests it's new (at least for
>>> Australia).
>>> It's new to me, I've been looking for something like this for "ages"
>>> :)
>>>

>> You might be better off with http://www.gmap-pedometer.com
>> which includes distances and altitude.
>>
>> DaveB

> Doesn't yet do altitude for places other than the US apparently

Unless my house has been transported to the US along with all of
Melbourne I'd disagree. I've bene planning my runs with the altitude
feature for the past few months.

DaveB

DaveB said:
Dave A wrote:
> There's an article in today's Age that suggests it's new (at least for
> Australia).
> It's new to me, I've been looking for something like this for "ages"
> :)

You might be better off with http://www.gmap-pedometer.com
which includes distances and altitude.

DaveB

that link is telling me it cannot locate Australia!!!!!!
:confused:

I fell for the same trap you need to out a destination in the field to
the right of where you chose "Australia"

DaveA

Bean Long said:
What I have noticed about it is that the satellite image of Canberra at
least is much older than the one they used to have available through
googlemaps. The house next door to ours has been mysteriously knocked
down and replaced with the one that was there a few years ago!!

I had a look for my workplace. The 20 year old building is there on the satellite image, but the mapping (when using hybrid) shows a lane way that runs straight through the foyer of the building. I'll have to try riding that laneway on my bicycle :)

DaveB wrote:
> Bean Long wrote:
>> DaveB wrote:

>>> You might be better off with http://www.gmap-pedometer.com
>>> which includes distances and altitude.
>>>
>>> DaveB

>> Doesn't yet do altitude for places other than the US apparently
>>

> Unless my house has been transported to the US along with all of
> Melbourne I'd disagree. I've bene planning my runs with the altitude
> feature for the past few months.
>
> DaveB

According to the site's "Change History"

<quote>12/16/05 Elevation Graphs! You can now draw a graph that plots
the elevation of each point against your distance. Elevation is provided
by the U.S. Geological Survey, so unfortunately this is a U.S. only
feature.</quote>

So you're doing well if it's working for you!

I tried it for CBR but ended up with strange drops to zero altitude at
occasional mile markers.

--

Bean Long wrote:

> According to the site's "Change History"
>
> <quote>12/16/05 Elevation Graphs! You can now draw a graph that plots
> the elevation of each point against your distance. Elevation is provided
> by the U.S. Geological Survey, so unfortunately this is a U.S. only
> feature.</quote>
>
> So you're doing well if it's working for you!
>
> I tried it for CBR but ended up with strange drops to zero altitude at
> occasional mile markers.

Follow this link to a hill the Sunday Br'ers would know and hate.
Altitude graph at the bottom

http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=190031.

DaveB

DaveB wrote:

> Unless my house has been transported to the US along with all of
> Melbourne I'd disagree. I've bene planning my runs with the altitude
> feature for the past few months.

Can you see the altitude?
aka tilt it like Google earth?

Do you know what DEM is used?
The DEM (Digital Elevation Model) on Google Earth is appraently only 1Km
readings.

DaveB wrote:
> Bean Long wrote:
>>
>> According to the site's "Change History"
>>
>> <quote>12/16/05 Elevation Graphs! You can now draw a graph that plots
>> the elevation of each point against your distance. Elevation is
>> provided by the U.S. Geological Survey, so unfortunately this is a
>> U.S. only feature.</quote>
>>
>> So you're doing well if it's working for you!
>>
>> I tried it for CBR but ended up with strange drops to zero altitude at
>> occasional mile markers.
>>

> Follow this link to a hill the Sunday Br'ers would know and hate.
> Altitude graph at the bottom
>
> http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=190031.
>
> DaveB

Hey... I can see my old digs on that map!

--

Dave A wrote:
> This is new
>
> http://maps.google.com/
>
> Great new mapping website. There has been a serious lack of such a
> website till now.

The maps are new.

> You can switch to "satelitte". Which gives s similar view to Google
> earth.

The "satellite" image is old, real old.
Funnily, it always looked better than the images on google earth,

> However this part has been updated. I can see my house on Google Maps
> but not google Earth.

The question is "Are the maps really up to date?"[1]

What this is all about is the Google is now promoting Google Local (Next
Big Thing On The Internet apparently) and they had a **** up in sydney
last night to "network" with bright young things that might want to work
with them.

[1] Finally got the download and the maps are ****.
Lots of features are missing. what is there is inconsistent e.g. some
playing fields and bushland, but lots(major) are missing.

Major bummer; they show roads that do not exist. In one case, they
should a road totally on private property as a public road, yet the kerb
crossing disappeared quite a few years ago. lol.

These maps are making whereis.com.au look like excellence in mapping.

Terry Collins wrote:

> [1] Finally got the download and the maps are ****.
> Lots of features are missing. what is there is inconsistent e.g. some
> playing fields and bushland, but lots(major) are missing.
>
> Major bummer; they show roads that do not exist. In one case, they
> should a road totally on private property as a public road, yet the kerb
> crossing disappeared quite a few years ago. lol.
>
> These maps are making whereis.com.au look like excellence in mapping.

You're not the Terry Collins who works for a mapping and GIS company
are you ?

Damian

On 18 May 2006 20:59:19 -0700, "Dave A" <[email protected]> wrote:

> This is new
>
> http://maps.google.com/
>
> Great new mapping website. There has been a serious lack of such a
> website till now.
> You can switch to "satelitte". Which gives s similar view to Google
> earth.
> However this part has been updated. I can see my house on Google Maps
> but not google Earth.

This is very old stuff.

Maps have been online for at least 10 years and satellite mapping of Australia for at least 6 years.

Terry Collins wrote:

> Do you know what DEM is used?
> The DEM (Digital Elevation Model) on Google Earth is appraently only 1Km
> readings.

No idea but definitely better than 1km readings. Have a look at the link
I posted before. It only shows a 1km section with a number of changes.

DaveB