Slight OT Google Maps

DaveB said:
Terry Collins wrote:

> Do you know what DEM is used?
> The DEM (Digital Elevation Model) on Google Earth is appraently only 1Km
> readings.

No idea but definitely better than 1km readings. Have a look at the link
I posted before. It only shows a 1km section with a number of changes.

DaveB
Yep, definitely better than 1km. Here's my old commute (before they closed the bridge at Malvern Golf Course).
http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=93506

On 18 May 2006 20:59:19 -0700, "Dave A" <[email protected]> wrote:

> This is new
>
> http://maps.google.com/
>
> Great new mapping website. There has been a serious lack of such a
> website till now.
> You can switch to "satelitte". Which gives s similar view to Google
> earth.
> However this part has been updated. I can see my house on Google Maps
> but not google Earth.

This is very old stuff.

Maps have been online for at least 10 years and satellite mapping of Australia for at least 6 years.
I've paid for the Google Earth upgrade version and I overlay maps and other aerial photographs on top so you get better resolution and it's still 3D. I also can upload GPS tracks and draw my own tracks freehand. Well worth it I reckon.
If you go to my blog and scroll down a bit and then click on the picture you'll see what it can do. I've left that particular picture "as is" but I normally overlay old maps to find disused tracks.

http://mundabiddi.blogspot.com/

Damian wrote:

> You're not the Terry Collins who works for a mapping and GIS company
> are you ?

Which company?
Sort of wrong tense. Been fiddling in area for decades.

On Fri, 19 May 2006 14:35:03 +1000, DaveB
<[email protected]> wrote in aus.bicycle:

>I was thinking the same thing but then I had a look. In the past there
>was satellite view only for Aus (and probably anywhere other than US)
>but now they have the maps in as well for Aus.
>
>DaveB

Whenever I try to zoom into something resembling street level on the
satellite image it says," We are sorry but we don't have imagery at
this zoom level for this region" . The maps are OK but
http://www.whereis.com/ can also provide that and tell you what route
to take between two points

Regards
Prickles

Timendi causa est nescire
This message only uses recycled electrons

Spiny Norman said:
On Fri, 19 May 2006 14:35:03 +1000, DaveB
<[email protected]> wrote in aus.bicycle:

>I was thinking the same thing but then I had a look. In the past there
>was satellite view only for Aus (and probably anywhere other than US)
>but now they have the maps in as well for Aus.
>
>DaveB

Whenever I try to zoom into something resembling street level on the
satellite image it says," We are sorry but we don't have imagery at
this zoom level for this region" . The maps are OK but
http://www.whereis.com/ can also provide that and tell you what route
to take between two points

Regards
Prickles

Timendi causa est nescire
This message only uses recycled electrons

If you use http://www.whereis.com/ for a route you only have choice of car with or without tolls or walking. Choosing walking for a route to cycle it will fail with it being too far to walk. they should put an option to use bike.

Mike