Slight problem, need some help

Rugger95

Feb 18, 2004
I decided my bike was in need of a good cleaning so I got out some degreaser and a rag and went to it. Well, I am somewhat new to the sport and got a little carried away with the cleaning and ended up with the chain, chainrings, and rear derailleur off and apart and had them shining like new again. I decided I should just replace the chain, it has about 2000 miles on it and new parts feel good so I just got a new one. Learned a heck of alot about my bike through the process of taking off and putting back on. Well, now my bike shifts like ****. The rear derailleur (S105) skips gears and is just all out of wack. I have tried adjusting it, spent about 5 hours totall tinkering, and it still just shifts on its own and doesnt work right. I was wondering if anyone could tell me where to start with the adjustments. I have tried to line up the bottom disc with the appropriate gear but it still works like ****. I even checked to see if I put it back together wrong but everything is in the right spot, and the new chain is even the right length. I would love some suggestions so I dont have to take it to the lbs.

Originally posted by Rugger95
I decided my bike was in need of a good cleaning .... now my bike shifts like ****. ... The rear derailleur (S105) skips gears and is just all out of wack.

There's always an element of risk involved if you replace the chain but leave the old cassette, because these parts have been worn in together (including the chain rings but to a smaller amount). If you still have the old chain around you could also check how extended the old chain had become, this could be a good indication to if you need to replace the cassette too.
I'd also suggest rechecking that you got the right chain and that all the pieces went back in the right order again. What about the pre-loaded springs?

Does it shift properly if you turn the pedals while holding the bike in the air and then starts giving you trouble when you ride it?

Or does it malfunction even when its unstressed?

If it doesn't even work when run in the air, then you probably need to set up the alignment properly, or you might have a shift cable that doesn't run smoothly.

If it works in the air but not on the road I'd be more inclined to think that it's the cassette that's causing the trouble.

I decided my bike was in need of a good cleaning so I got out some degreaser and a rag and went to it. Well, I am somewhat new to the sport and got a little carried away with the cleaning and ended up with the chain, chainrings, and rear derailleur off and apart and had them shining like new again. I decided I should just replace the chain, it has about 2000 miles on it and new parts feel good so I just got a new one. Learned a heck of alot about my bike through the process of taking off and putting back on. Well, now my bike shifts like ****. The rear derailleur (S105) skips gears and is just all out of wack. I have tried adjusting it, spent about 5 hours totall tinkering, and it still just shifts on its own and doesnt work right. I was wondering if anyone could tell me where to start with the adjustments. I have tried to line up the bottom disc with the appropriate gear but it still works like ****. I even checked to see if I put it back together wrong but everything is in the right spot, and the new chain is even the right length. I would love some suggestions so I dont have to take it to the lbs.

Visit the Park Tool site for some help:

<http://www.parktool.com/repair_help/FAQrindx.shtml>

Also could be that your new chain won't shift well on your old cogs.

I agree with the others. You probably need to invest in a new cassette as well as a new chain. That should clear it up pronto.

Originally posted by larry barr
I agree with the others. You probably need to invest in a new cassette as well as a new chain. That should clear it up pronto.
Not if the old chain wasn't wore out. Possible,but not likely at 2000 mi. This is most likely a case of if it ain't broke, clean and fix it till it is. Maybe the cable at the RD was attached in the wrong position?? Other possibilities too.