Slight scratch on carbon Crank-fix?

azdroptop

May 25, 2005
Hey all, removing my cadence sensor I slipped with the blade and made a very small scrach into my crank arm. Just wondering what I should cover it with? Nail polish?? Thanks.

There's no way that I'd use nail polish. It contains acetone which is probably not healthy for the clear coat or the underlying carbon fiber resin. It sounds like it's a superficial scratch that could be filled easily with something like a bit of car wax.

azdroptop said:
Hey all, removing my cadence sensor I slipped with the blade and made a very small scrach into my crank arm. Just wondering what I should cover it with? Nail polish?? Thanks.

ScienceIsCool said:
There's no way that I'd use nail polish. It contains acetone which is probably not healthy for the clear coat or the underlying carbon fiber resin. It sounds like it's a superficial scratch that could be filled easily with something like a bit of car wax.

Ok. Thanks. I just don't want it to grow if that's possible.

There's typically a thick layer of clear coat over the last layer of carbon. And the last layer of carbon (if it looks like it's woven) is typically to protect against scratches. You would have to penetrate both layers to do any structural damage.

If in doubt, take it to your local, trusted bike shop. They'll help you figure out if it's serious or not. Any blemishes that aren't structural can typically be covered up with a bit of polishing. Hence, the car wax or similar.

azdroptop said:
Ok. Thanks. I just don't want it to grow if that's possible.

ScienceIsCool said:
There's typically a thick layer of clear coat over the last layer of carbon. And the last layer of carbon (if it looks like it's woven) is typically to protect against scratches. You would have to penetrate both layers to do any structural damage.

If in doubt, take it to your local, trusted bike shop. They'll help you figure out if it's serious or not. Any blemishes that aren't structural can typically be covered up with a bit of polishing. Hence, the car wax or similar.
thanks again! Very appreciated! :cool:

azdroptop said:
Epoxy

Is this a new crank with no previous scratches? If so, it will get more scratches from use. I put a small scratch in my fork with a Leatherman tool the first day I had it when I decided to reposition the computer sensor and had to cut off the zip ties. I rubbed it hard to try to make it come out but it's there forever and usually forgotten about.

azdroptop said:
You can get clear coat touch-up from automotive suppliers. Works a dream, harder than clear nail polish and clearer than epoxy. Invisible after applying a tiny amount and polishing back.