slight wheel wobble

GV2013

Jun 6, 2010
My rear wheel has a slight wobble in one section I have noticed when spinning it. It does not come into contact with brake pads or anything and I was just wondering if it is a big deal since none of the shops near me can work on it for at least a week or two. The wheel is a bontrager maverick. thanks.

Hard to tell if it's a big deal because your definition of "slight wobble" might be different than mine. Is it out of true or out of round?

It is still round, just a bit out of true, and by a bit I mean a probably 1/8 of an inch tops.

I have been a bit hesitant to try and true my own wheels. From what I have heard its tricky to learn. Is that true or is it not very difficult to pick up? I have a new front wheel on the way in the mail so perhaps I will pick up a spoke wrench and practice on the old one.

Can you feel it when you use the brakes? If you can, then it's enough out of true that it should be adjusted pretty soon.

If not, then I wouldn't worry about it too much. Just take care of it when it's convenient for you.

no I can't feel it when I brake. I just didn't know if it would make my wheel weaker at all.

GV2013 said:
no I can't feel it when I brake. I just didn't know if it would make my wheel weaker at all.

I would ride cautiously and not let it go too long before taking care of it. No screaming downhills or awhile. If you turn the wheel slowly and tweak the spokes with your fingers you may well find a section of several spokes that are looser than the others. They will sound different.