Slight wobble in front tire?

zscioli

Apr 18, 2006
Hey there,
I live in sf and i've been going down hill on some steep slopes when i notice a slight wobble in my fron tire. At highs speeds i feel like i am going to eat ****? what's going on? is it my axle? how to do i go about tighting it? I am new to cycling so any advise or general matience information about roadbikes would be awsome. I have a 1983 12spd cannondale

zscioli said:
Hey there,
I live in sf and i've been going down hill on some steep slopes when i notice a slight wobble in my fron tire. At highs speeds i feel like i am going to eat ****? what's going on? is it my axle? how to do i go about tighting it? I am new to cycling so any advise or general matience information about roadbikes would be awsome. I have a 1983 12spd cannondale
If it's the rim:
http://www.parktool.com/repair/readhowto.asp?id=81
you will see the wobble at low RPM by just spinning it and watching the rim as it passes the brake blocks.
If it's the hub:
http://www.parktool.com/repair/readhowto.asp?id=105
you will feel looseness (& bearing knock) by pushing on the rim sideways.

Hub : Simply take the wheel off and screw the hub with your hands.

Rim : Get the wheel trued, if it's a cheap rim perhaps do it yourself.

xxamr_corpxx said:
Hub : Simply take the wheel off and screw the hub with your hands.

Rim : Get the wheel trued, if it's a cheap rim perhaps do it yourself.
If your new to cycling get your LBS to look at it and ask if you can watch the work be done so that you know what to do next time! Or get a detailed book on bike repairs and maintenance to guide you.

Truing a wheel is easy when you know what your doing but it can all go horrible wrong if you don't. An overtightened hub is just as bad in the long term as a loose hub.

I've worked as a bike mechanic and have seen what so people have done to there pride and joys and it is not always pretty.

Both of my responses help me out greatly. Eventhing seems great now, i'm banking at high speed just fine. Thanks again
Zack