Slightest of rattles on middle ring

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by pendle64, Sep 4, 2007.

1. pendle64

pendle64 New Member

Hi fellow cyclists

Question: New Cassette, New rear mech, new chain, bought and set-up from local bike shop (Giant OCR, Triple Chain Ring, 9 sprocket cassette). Everything running smoothly (after I had a couple of return journeys to the shop!?!) and I have one gripe on running of bike ... on the middle chain ring at front with the chain on the lowest gear of rear sprocket i.e. the sprocket nearest the rear hub, there is the slightest of rattles (coming from the front mech). Every other gear combination, seems as fine as anything (thats 26 other gears!!).

Is this possible?

Many thanks for your considered responses.

Bloody hard work these set-ups, particularly as they always tell me in the shop that testing the setup on the bikestand (jig) is not the same as on the road (but they never bloody test it on the road ... that's down to me and then I have to take it back if its not right .... which is a nuisance for me ... and them, I guess!!)

Cheers

Pendle 64

PS Sorry to go on!!

Tags:

2. kdelong

kdelong Well-Known Member

Is it chain rub on the front derailer? If so and if it is Shimano, you should have two positions for the middle chain ring so that you can trim it to eliminate the noise. If it is not chain rub, you may have something loose that can be tightened.

As for your LBS, testing on a stand is not a true test because you do not have the added weight of the rider nor do you have real world weight distribution because it is not being supported on the wheels. Therefore, you cannot test for anything that might be caused by flexing of the frame, etc. As for road tests, there are liability concerns if the tester happens to crash on the test ride. There are post crash repairs that would need to be done to the bike, as well as workers comp claims (at least in the US) that would have to be filed. Also, the time for the test ride would have to be added to your repair bill. Would you like the tester to test ride it for only one hour or two?:D

3. pendle64

pendle64 New Member

Hi there kd

I think it is chain rub on the front derailleur, and it is Shimano. However, I dont understand what you mean when you say there are two positions. As far as I am aware when setting up the front mech you have the H and L screws, plus the tightness of the cable itself.

I would appreciate further elucidation on the two positions.

Thanks for the rest of your comments.

Pendle 64 :)

4. kleng

kleng New Member

5. kdelong

kdelong Well-Known Member

The trim takes place in the brifter. You do not need to adjust your H & L Limit screws. Normally a Shimano Left Brifter for a triple chainring has 4 positions. You haved one position for your small chainring, one position for your largest chainring, and two positions for your middle chainring. Before you go any further, check and make sure that you have four positions. Anyway, adjust your FD Cable so that there is a good bit of tension on it when it is in the lowest position. When I upshift, I have to go to the third position to get the shift and then trim back to the second position if I am using a lower gear on my cassette. I hope this helps you. I'm really surprised that your LBS doesn't know about this.

6. pendle64

pendle64 New Member

Thanks guys, kl and kd, will have a look very soon.

Muchos muchos

Pendle64 :eek: