Slightly bent spoke, is it urgent?

Uawadall

Jun 14, 2015
My rear wheel was hit yesterday and one of the spokes is slightly bent(only noticeable on close inspection) near the middle on a set of Mavic Ksyrium Elite's. Is it something that needs to be replaced immediately or should it be fine to ride for a while? I plan on getting a new one from a shop this week, but will most likely go on a few 20 milers before that.

Loosen it, bend it back. Re-tension it. Or, for a couple days...just ignore it. Inspect the nipple seat area of the rim carefully for cracking.

The shop owner didn't have the spokes in stock. He also told me they are perfectly fine to ride and don't need replacing. I guess its mostly cosmetic damage, i'll find and order a few online just in case I need them some day.

Art's has Ksyrium Elite spokes: http://www.artscyclery.com/searchresults.html?search=products&searchtext=mavic+spokes

Also:
https://www.jejamescycles.co.uk/mavic/road-spokes-bcp2.html

Rogue Mechanic has a bunch of Mavic spokes: http://www.mavicparts.com/collections/mavic-road-spokes

Remember...all of Mavic's technical manuals are available online, as are the owner's manual. Dealer technical manuals require a log in:

User log on: mavic-com
Password: dealer

Download by year of product information needed.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jcycle
It is alright to ride like the shop owner has said but just be careful and be sure to periodically look to check if the spoke is bending even further. If it gets to that point its best wait for the new spokes to come back in stock and to let the bike rest up as well.

Seems a bit odd that no one asks the most obvious question - is the wheel aligned still? If so don't worry about it and just get the spoke replaced at your leisure. If the wheel is misaligned THEN take immediate action.

Seems a bit odd that no one asks the most obvious question - is the wheel aligned still? If so don't worry about it and just get the spoke replaced at your leisure. If the wheel is misaligned THEN take immediate action.

Its spinning perfectly straight and true. My first and only crash in a year of cycling so far wasn't do to skill, but being negligent in regards to bike maintenance. The wheel wasn't true and rubbed into the brake causing me to wipe out. I was totally fine, save some skin being scrapped off and a nasty permanent scar on my knee. After that, I check that the brakes don't rub,brake pads, and that the wheels are true before every ride.

Unless it is really bent out of place, it really shouldn't be much of an issue. I'd be concerned if it breaks completely or it starts sticking out from the wheel. It wouldn't hurt to replace, but it shouldn't be an issue in the mean time.

A bent spoke will act more like a spring than the other spokes, contributing less to the tension of the wheel.
By definition a bad thing,
Exactly HOW MUCH of a bad thing is really difficult to say.
Ksyrium Elites are low spoke count wheels and not much fun to work with.
I'd try to straighten the spoke and check tension as soon as possible.

I think so, as any broken part big or small will play a part in the whole thing. If something's not functioning at a hundred percent, then eventually, it will damage all parts of the bike because it will not be as effective, and all parts must compensate to still make the system function. Make sure that all parts of your bike are at full capacity, otherwise you might end up regretting it when it stops functioning properly at the least opportune moment.