slightly broken brake cable

ray-ez

Aug 10, 2005
hello,
one strand of one of my brake cables is frayed/twisted/away from the others!
Does it need replacing completely? Is there a cheat fix for the lazy (ie. me)?
Can i just cut the twisted part away as a quick fix? or is that bad news?

Thanks in advance for your help!
Ray

It depends upon if it is fraying on the end or if a strand is borken in the middle. If it is on the end, there is no need to replace it until you need to work on the brakes in such a way that the cable needs to be removed. If it is on the end, as long as you have enough cable extending from the anchor bolt, you can cut it off and crimp on a cable end.

If you have a strand broken in the center of the cable, you can try to cut off the single strand. Getting this right usually involves a lot of luck instead of skill. One strand shouldn't be a problem, but you might want to get it replaced just to be safe. After all, what does a brake cable cost? $2.99 at my lbs.

No such thing as "slightly broken". Don't take the chance, Brake cables are inexpensive so change it out right away. Safety first.

It will be quicker to replace the whole cable than fiddle around with removing the strand. Plus, a new cable will perform much better.

Back brake - I'd keep using it, keeping an eye on it. Front brake - I wouldn't ride the bike again until I had replaced the cable.

Thanks all for your advice, I think i'll be replacing my very first brake cable (it's frayed in the middle of the cable btw) or at least i'll be trying to, then possibly bringing it to my LBS if I get bored & frustrated.

Wish me luck. Thank you all again.

Ray

ray-ez said:
Thanks all for your advice, I think i'll be replacing my very first brake cable (it's frayed in the middle of the cable btw) or at least i'll be trying to, then possibly bringing it to my LBS if I get bored & frustrated.

Wish me luck. Thank you all again.

Ray
Hello Ray,
Check out Park Tools website. They have a How To section that will give you step bt step instructions on how to do this. It's a breeze.

kdelong said:
Hello Ray,
Check out Park Tools website. They have a How To section that will give you step bt step instructions on how to do this. It's a breeze.

Hi, thanks for the tip. Unfortunately, I wussed out & got somebody to do it for me. (I start a new job soon, and I'm really busy getting prepared for that, that's my excuse & I'm sticking to it ;) )

Next time!