    seems to be off centre and wobbles a little bit. I can't think
    what this would be caused by. If the skewer was bent, even when
    coasting the cluster shouldn't wobble. Any hints or suggestions?

    Cheers
    Brendo

    Tags:

  2. Joel Mayes

    Joel Mayes Guest

    On 2006-11-16, Brendo <[email protected]> wrote:
    > With the bike in the windtrainer, and the roller not connected,
    > when I spin the rear wheel and let it coast, the rear cluster
    > seems to be off centre and wobbles a little bit. I can't think
    > what this would be caused by. If the skewer was bent, even when
    > coasting the cluster shouldn't wobble. Any hints or suggestions?
    >
    > Cheers
    > Brendo

    Hi;

    I've seen bikes where the freehub/hub connection has been borked,
    it that case the freehub could be wobbled on the hub. If the freehub is
    firmly connected and the wobble small I'd say it a sign of non-perfect
    manufacturing.

    If you can't feel it when you ride its probably not a problem.

    Cheers

    Joel

  3. Brendo

    Brendo Guest

    Joel Mayes wrote:
    > On 2006-11-16, Brendo <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >>With the bike in the windtrainer, and the roller not connected,
    >>when I spin the rear wheel and let it coast, the rear cluster
    >>seems to be off centre and wobbles a little bit. I can't think
    >>what this would be caused by. If the skewer was bent, even when
    >>coasting the cluster shouldn't wobble. Any hints or suggestions?
    >>
    >>Cheers
    >>Brendo

    > Hi;
    >
    > I've seen bikes where the freehub/hub connection has been borked,
    > it that case the freehub could be wobbled on the hub. If the freehub is
    > firmly connected and the wobble small I'd say it a sign of non-perfect
    > manufacturing.
    >
    > If you can't feel it when you ride its probably not a problem.
    >
    > Cheers
    >
    > Joel

    I've only noticed it while watching the rear wheel freewheeling.
    Nothing when riding it at all. I am a little concerned that it
    places stress on the hub where stress shouldn't be placed.

  4. Shabby

    Shabby New Member

    Joined:
    Mar 13, 2003
    Forgive me if this is obvious, but is the cluster tight?

  5. Theo Bekkers

    Theo Bekkers Guest

    Shabby wrote:

    > Forgive me if this is obvious, but is the cluster tight?

    Doesn't pedaling make it tight?

    Theo

  6. Shabby

    Shabby New Member

    Joined:
    Mar 13, 2003
    Only on a track bike.....

    I'm assuming it's not a track bike, because they rarely have clusters....

  7. Theo Bekkers

    Theo Bekkers Guest

    Shabby wrote:
    > Theo Bekkers Wrote:
    >> Shabby wrote:
    >>
    >>> Forgive me if this is obvious, but is the cluster tight?

    >> Doesn't pedaling make it tight?

    > Only on a track bike.....

    Huh? My clusters screw on. Pedaling makes them tight.

    Theo

  8. Joel Mayes

    Joel Mayes Guest

    On 2006-11-16, Brendo <[email protected]> wrote:
    > Joel Mayes wrote:
    >> On 2006-11-16, Brendo <[email protected]> wrote:
    >>
    >>>With the bike in the windtrainer, and the roller not connected,
    >>>when I spin the rear wheel and let it coast, the rear cluster
    >>>seems to be off centre and wobbles a little bit. I can't think
    >>>what this would be caused by. If the skewer was bent, even when
    >>>coasting the cluster shouldn't wobble. Any hints or suggestions?

    >> If you can't feel it when you ride its probably not a problem.
    >>
    >> Cheers
    >>
    >> Joel

    > I've only noticed it while watching the rear wheel freewheeling.
    > Nothing when riding it at all. I am a little concerned that it
    > places stress on the hub where stress shouldn't be placed.

    I wouldn't worry about it, either the threaded area on the hub probably
    isn't perfectly parallel to the axle and this small error is magnified
    by the length of the cluster, or (and I should have thought of this
    last night) most clusters don't have a full compliment of ball bearings
    (they don't need one 'cause they never rotate under (much) load. The
    missing bearings can make it wobble as the cogs on the cluster aren't
    fully supported on the cluster's spindle.

    If it really bothers you read Sheldon Brown's description on servicing
    clusters and put extra bearings in, or remove a shim washer or two to
    tighten things up.

    Personally, I wouldn't worry about damaging the hub. Check to see if the
    cluster run straight when under load i.e. watch the cluster while you
    turn the cranks if it runs straight then relax. This is the only time when
    the cluster would put pressure on the hub.

    Cheers

    Joel

  9. Brendo wrote:
    > With the bike in the windtrainer, and the roller not connected,
    > when I spin the rear wheel and let it coast, the rear cluster
    > seems to be off centre and wobbles a little bit. I can't think
    > what this would be caused by. If the skewer was bent, even when
    > coasting the cluster shouldn't wobble. Any hints or suggestions?

    They all do this, but it's not generally a problem in practice.

    Sheldon "Not To Worry" Brown
    | There's nothing like not being dead |
    | to improve a fellow's outlook. |
    | -- Michael Flynn |