Guest
With the bike in the windtrainer, and the roller not connected,
when I spin the rear wheel and let it coast, the rear cluster
seems to be off centre and wobbles a little bit. I can't think
what this would be caused by. If the skewer was bent, even when
coasting the cluster shouldn't wobble. Any hints or suggestions?

Cheers
Brendo

On 2006-11-16, Brendo <[email protected]> wrote:
> With the bike in the windtrainer, and the roller not connected,
> when I spin the rear wheel and let it coast, the rear cluster
> seems to be off centre and wobbles a little bit. I can't think
> what this would be caused by. If the skewer was bent, even when
> coasting the cluster shouldn't wobble. Any hints or suggestions?
>
> Cheers
> Brendo

Hi;

I've seen bikes where the freehub/hub connection has been borked,
it that case the freehub could be wobbled on the hub. If the freehub is
firmly connected and the wobble small I'd say it a sign of non-perfect
manufacturing.

If you can't feel it when you ride its probably not a problem.

Cheers

Joel

Joel Mayes wrote:
> On 2006-11-16, Brendo <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>>With the bike in the windtrainer, and the roller not connected,
>>when I spin the rear wheel and let it coast, the rear cluster
>>seems to be off centre and wobbles a little bit. I can't think
>>what this would be caused by. If the skewer was bent, even when
>>coasting the cluster shouldn't wobble. Any hints or suggestions?
>>
>>Cheers
>>Brendo

> Hi;
>
> I've seen bikes where the freehub/hub connection has been borked,
> it that case the freehub could be wobbled on the hub. If the freehub is
> firmly connected and the wobble small I'd say it a sign of non-perfect
> manufacturing.
>
> If you can't feel it when you ride its probably not a problem.
>
> Cheers
>
> Joel

I've only noticed it while watching the rear wheel freewheeling.
Nothing when riding it at all. I am a little concerned that it
places stress on the hub where stress shouldn't be placed.

Brendo said:
With the bike in the windtrainer, and the roller not connected,
when I spin the rear wheel and let it coast, the rear cluster
seems to be off centre and wobbles a little bit. I can't think
what this would be caused by. If the skewer was bent, even when
coasting the cluster shouldn't wobble. Any hints or suggestions?

Cheers
Brendo
Forgive me if this is obvious, but is the cluster tight?

Shabby wrote:

> Forgive me if this is obvious, but is the cluster tight?

Doesn't pedaling make it tight?

Theo

Theo Bekkers said:
Shabby wrote:

> Forgive me if this is obvious, but is the cluster tight?

Doesn't pedaling make it tight?

Theo
Only on a track bike.....

I'm assuming it's not a track bike, because they rarely have clusters....

Shabby wrote:
> Theo Bekkers Wrote:
>> Shabby wrote:
>>
>>> Forgive me if this is obvious, but is the cluster tight?

>> Doesn't pedaling make it tight?

> Only on a track bike.....

Huh? My clusters screw on. Pedaling makes them tight.

Theo

On 2006-11-16, Brendo <[email protected]> wrote:
> Joel Mayes wrote:
>> On 2006-11-16, Brendo <[email protected]> wrote:
>>
>>>With the bike in the windtrainer, and the roller not connected,
>>>when I spin the rear wheel and let it coast, the rear cluster
>>>seems to be off centre and wobbles a little bit. I can't think
>>>what this would be caused by. If the skewer was bent, even when
>>>coasting the cluster shouldn't wobble. Any hints or suggestions?

>> If you can't feel it when you ride its probably not a problem.
>>
>> Cheers
>>
>> Joel

> I've only noticed it while watching the rear wheel freewheeling.
> Nothing when riding it at all. I am a little concerned that it
> places stress on the hub where stress shouldn't be placed.

I wouldn't worry about it, either the threaded area on the hub probably
isn't perfectly parallel to the axle and this small error is magnified
by the length of the cluster, or (and I should have thought of this
last night) most clusters don't have a full compliment of ball bearings
(they don't need one 'cause they never rotate under (much) load. The
missing bearings can make it wobble as the cogs on the cluster aren't
fully supported on the cluster's spindle.

If it really bothers you read Sheldon Brown's description on servicing
clusters and put extra bearings in, or remove a shim washer or two to
tighten things up.

Personally, I wouldn't worry about damaging the hub. Check to see if the
cluster run straight when under load i.e. watch the cluster while you
turn the cranks if it runs straight then relax. This is the only time when
the cluster would put pressure on the hub.

Cheers

Joel

Brendo wrote:
> With the bike in the windtrainer, and the roller not connected,
> when I spin the rear wheel and let it coast, the rear cluster
> seems to be off centre and wobbles a little bit. I can't think
> what this would be caused by. If the skewer was bent, even when
> coasting the cluster shouldn't wobble. Any hints or suggestions?

They all do this, but it's not generally a problem in practice.

Sheldon "Not To Worry" Brown
| There's nothing like not being dead |
| to improve a fellow's outlook. |
| -- Michael Flynn |