Slightly OT -Whitehouse cycle maker

Jo

Guest
I am trying to find out about my ancestor William Whitehouse, who was
listed in 1901 as a cycle maker in Earl Shilton, Leicestershire. As he
was only 22 at the time it is reasonable to assume he was around, and
probably making cycles for a good few years after 1901.Anybody ever
heard of his bikes?
Jo

in message <[email protected]>, Jo
('[email protected]') wrote:

> I am trying to find out about my ancestor William Whitehouse, who was
> listed in 1901 as a cycle maker in Earl Shilton, Leicestershire. As he
> was only 22 at the time it is reasonable to assume he was around, and
> probably making cycles for a good few years after 1901.Anybody ever
> heard of his bikes?

I can't help - it's a very long time ago, and there have been a lot of
artisan bicycle makers in the UK. This doesn't mean he wasn't good of
course. I think the fist place to ask would be bicycle museums:

http://www.cyclemuseum.org.uk/
http://www.chycor.co.uk/cycling-museum/
http://www.buccleuch.com/pages/content.asp?PageID=318

;; All in all you're just another nick in the ball
-- Think Droid

Simon Brooke wrote:
> in message <[email protected]>, Jo
> ('[email protected]') wrote:
>

>>I am trying to find out about my ancestor William Whitehouse, who was
>>listed in 1901 as a cycle maker in Earl Shilton, Leicestershire. As he
>>was only 22 at the time it is reasonable to assume he was around, and
>>probably making cycles for a good few years after 1901.Anybody ever
>>heard of his bikes?

> I can't help - it's a very long time ago, and there have been a lot of
> artisan bicycle makers in the UK. This doesn't mean he wasn't good of
> course. I think the fist place to ask would be bicycle museums:
>
> http://www.cyclemuseum.org.uk/
> http://www.chycor.co.uk/cycling-museum/
> http://www.buccleuch.com/pages/content.asp?PageID=318

Thanks for the links - I will give them a try. I realise it's a long
shot, as there were many, many small businesses at that time, but if you
don't ask.....
Jo

On Fri, 02 Jun 2006 21:10:36 GMT, Jo <[email protected]> wrote:
> Simon Brooke wrote:
>> in message <[email protected]>, Jo
>> ('[email protected]') wrote:
>>

>>>I am trying to find out about my ancestor William Whitehouse, who was
>>>listed in 1901 as a cycle maker in Earl Shilton, Leicestershire. As he
>>>was only 22 at the time it is reasonable to assume he was around, and
>>>probably making cycles for a good few years after 1901.Anybody ever
>>>heard of his bikes?

>> I can't help - it's a very long time ago, and there have been a lot of
>> artisan bicycle makers in the UK. This doesn't mean he wasn't good of
>> course. I think the fist place to ask would be bicycle museums:
>>
>> http://www.cyclemuseum.org.uk/
>> http://www.chycor.co.uk/cycling-museum/
>> http://www.buccleuch.com/pages/content.asp?PageID=318
>>

> Thanks for the links - I will give them a try. I realise it's a long
> shot, as there were many, many small businesses at that time, but if you
> don't ask.....

It might be worth asking the National Association Of Veteran Cycle Clubs
(sorry but I don't have a web page or anything). I guess the veteran
cycle scene is a pretty close one, and there is a club in Leicester
apparently.

--
Andy Leighton => [email protected]
- Robert Rankin, _They Came And Ate Us_