Slim 45-y-o - chest first?

Beech Mere

Guest
I'm 45, genetically slim build, and want to develop my chest more than
any other muscle group. It's been 15 years since I last lifted
weights, and only made moderate progress then.

Is there a specific pectoral exercise that will primarily develop
mass? I don't really care whether my pecs are any particular shape -
I just want them significantly bigger than what they are now! Shape
can wait.

[email protected] (Beech Mere) wrote:

>I'm 45, genetically slim build, and want to develop my chest more than
>any other muscle group. It's been 15 years since I last lifted
>weights, and only made moderate progress then.
>
>Is there a specific pectoral exercise that will primarily develop
>mass? I don't really care whether my pecs are any particular shape -
>I just want them significantly bigger than what they are now! Shape
>can wait.

Bench press, parallel bar dips, and pushups with posterior hand
position.
--

JMW
http://www.rustyiron.net

"Beech Mere" <[email protected]> wrote
> I'm 45, genetically slim build, and want to develop my chest more than
> any other muscle group. It's been 15 years since I last lifted
> weights, and only made moderate progress then.
>
> Is there a specific pectoral exercise that will primarily develop
> mass? I don't really care whether my pecs are any particular shape -
> I just want them significantly bigger than what they are now! Shape
> can wait.

www.exrx.net

Try bench press and incline bench press. However...

I suspect what you want is not what you think you want. I suspect you want
an improved looked TORSO, because developing pectorals without shoulders,
traps, lats, and upper arms, will make you look goofy, to say the least.
So...

Use the site I susgested to find some exercises for your entire torso. Add
some calories and some protein to your diet.

David

JMW wrote:

> Bench press, parallel bar dips, and pushups with posterior hand
> position.
> --
>
> JMW
> http://www.rustyiron.net

Excuse my ignorance, but what is "posterior hand position" ?

"David Cohen" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> "Beech Mere" <[email protected]> wrote
> > I'm 45, genetically slim build, and want to develop my chest more than
> > any other muscle group. It's been 15 years since I last lifted
> > weights, and only made moderate progress then.
> >
> > Is there a specific pectoral exercise that will primarily develop
> > mass? I don't really care whether my pecs are any particular shape -
> > I just want them significantly bigger than what they are now! Shape
> > can wait.

> www.exrx.net
>
> Try bench press and incline bench press. However...
>
> I suspect what you want is not what you think you want. I suspect you want
> an improved looked TORSO, because developing pectorals without shoulders,
> traps, lats, and upper arms, will make you look goofy, to say the least.
> So...

Would it even be possible to develop pecs without developing shoulders and
upper arms?

JMW wrote:

> Hands farther back, i.e., closer to your feet.
> --
>
> JMW

Ok thanks :)

"Beech Mere" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I'm 45, genetically slim build, and want to develop my chest more than
> any other muscle group. It's been 15 years since I last lifted
> weights, and only made moderate progress then.
>
> Is there a specific pectoral exercise that will primarily develop
> mass? I don't really care whether my pecs are any particular shape -
> I just want them significantly bigger than what they are now! Shape
> can wait.

push things.
shape can wait? good! not much you can do about shape anyway, inre to muscle
shape.

what general condition are you in?

"Gooserider" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> "David Cohen" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>>
>> "Beech Mere" <[email protected]> wrote
>> > I'm 45, genetically slim build, and want to develop my chest more than
>> > any other muscle group. It's been 15 years since I last lifted
>> > weights, and only made moderate progress then.
>> >
>> > Is there a specific pectoral exercise that will primarily develop
>> > mass? I don't really care whether my pecs are any particular shape -
>> > I just want them significantly bigger than what they are now! Shape
>> > can wait.

>> www.exrx.net
>>
>> Try bench press and incline bench press. However...
>>
>> I suspect what you want is not what you think you want. I suspect you
>> want
>> an improved looked TORSO, because developing pectorals without shoulders,
>> traps, lats, and upper arms, will make you look goofy, to say the least.
>> So...
>>

> Would it even be possible to develop pecs without developing shoulders and
> upper arms?

unlikely

Beech Mere wrote:
> I'm 45, genetically slim build, and want to develop my chest more than
> any other muscle group. It's been 15 years since I last lifted
> weights, and only made moderate progress then.
>
> Is there a specific pectoral exercise that will primarily develop
> mass? I don't really care whether my pecs are any particular shape -
> I just want them significantly bigger than what they are now! Shape
> can wait.

I think Krista has some info for pre-sex change
men on her website. HTH.

--
Scott Johnson / scottjohnson at kc dot rr dot com

On 10 Apr 2005 23:02:24 -0700, [email protected] (Beech Mere)
wrote:

>I'm 45, genetically slim build, and want to develop my chest more than
>any other muscle group. It's been 15 years since I last lifted
>weights, and only made moderate progress then.
>
>Is there a specific pectoral exercise that will primarily develop
>mass?

No. To develop mass you *must* consume enough protein and calories.
The pectoral exercises (bench, incline bench) may get you stronger but
without the calories/protein, won't build any mass.

> I don't really care whether my pecs are any particular shape -
>I just want them significantly bigger than what they are now!

You cannot change the shape of your muscles, only the size. Genetics
determines the shape. If you want to get bigger pecs then do moderate
to heavy benches and incline benches 2-3X a week with at least a day
off for rest and EAT, EAT, EAT. Aim to gain about a pound a week or
so. You will likely gain some fat also but you can always lose that
later.

I would not neglect your back muscles however as you will be setting
yourself up for injury. Include pulldowns, pullups and rowing
exercises in your regimen.

RC

"Jay" <[email protected]> wrote in
news:[email protected]:

> "Gooserider" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>>
>> "David Cohen" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>> news:[email protected]...
>>>
>>> "Beech Mere" <[email protected]> wrote

>>> www.exrx.net
>>>
>>> Try bench press and incline bench press. However...
>>>
>>> I suspect what you want is not what you think you want. I suspect you
>>> want
>>> an improved looked TORSO, because developing pectorals without
>>> shoulders, traps, lats, and upper arms, will make you look goofy, to
>>> say the least. So...
>>>

>> Would it even be possible to develop pecs without developing shoulders
>> and upper arms?
>>

> unlikely

But he could sure hurt himself trying.

Rows, pulldowns/pullups, reverse flyes to balance the bench work and build
up the shoulders for that sexy v-taper.

Hugh

--
Experience keeps a dear school, but fools will attend no other.

"Jay" <[email protected]> wrote
> "Gooserider" <[email protected]> wrote >>
>> "David Cohen" <[email protected]> wrote
>>> "Beech Mere" <[email protected]> wrote

>>> www.exrx.net
>>>
>>> Try bench press and incline bench press. However...
>>>
>>> I suspect what you want is not what you think you want. I suspect you
>>> want
>>> an improved looked TORSO, because developing pectorals without
>>> shoulders,
>>> traps, lats, and upper arms, will make you look goofy, to say the least.
>>> So...
>>>

>> Would it even be possible to develop pecs without developing shoulders
>> and
>> upper arms?
>>

> unlikely

I disagree. Mr Mere goes up to the resident gym trainer and asks, in
innocent ignorance, "hey, buddy, which of these machines is good for pecs?",
and is pointed to the pec deck. So, he does his cardio and five sets of pec
deck, three times a week, and builds pecs. Little shoulders, no arms.

Or, maybe more likely, he figures out that the trainer is a moron, and does
bench and incline press, building chest, shoulders, and triceps. And,
ignoring lats, traps, and biceps, gets a goofy looking, imbalanced,
injury-prone, upper body.

David

"David Cohen" <[email protected]> wrote:
>"Jay" <[email protected]> wrote
>> "Gooserider" <[email protected]> wrote >>
>>> "David Cohen" <[email protected]> wrote

>>> Would it even be possible to develop pecs without developing shoulders
>>> and
>>> upper arms?
>>>

>> unlikely

>I disagree. Mr Mere goes up to the resident gym trainer and asks, in
>innocent ignorance, "hey, buddy, which of these machines is good for pecs?",
>and is pointed to the pec deck. So, he does his cardio and five sets of pec
>deck, three times a week, and builds pecs. Little shoulders, no arms.
>
>Or, maybe more likely, he figures out that the trainer is a moron, and does
>bench and incline press, building chest, shoulders, and triceps. And,
>ignoring lats, traps, and biceps, gets a goofy looking, imbalanced,
>injury-prone, upper body.

Or maybe he's a former competitive swimmer with the classic build for
that type: broad lats and a concave chest.

I chose to answer the man's question. Let him work on the area that
he wants to train most; if he gets results, he'll probably want more.
--

JMW
http://www.rustyiron.net

Jay wrote:
> shape can wait? good! not much you can do about shape anyway, inre to

muscle
> shape.
>
> what general condition are you in?

Only crappy-to-fair condition I suppose. I have a 9-5 desk job. I used
to play indoor volleyball at a fairly high level (club representation).
These days I'm on the golf course weekly. I don't do aerobic exercise
or jog, but I walk 10-15km each week in total. Blood pressure is low
(thankfully). Cholesterol is probably high.

Also, (and I think this has been answered in the messages above) I need
to know how long I need to wait in between chest workouts for the
muscles to recover AND then grow. Would 72 hours be the accepted
period? In other words, I can blast my pecs once every three days, and
work other body parts in between (with a rest day tossed in at least
once per week?)

Dnia 2005-04-11 Beech Mere napisa³(a):
> I'm 45, genetically slim build, and want to develop my chest more than
> any other muscle group. It's been 15 years since I last lifted
> weights, and only made moderate progress then.
>
> Is there a specific pectoral exercise that will primarily develop
> mass? I don't really care whether my pecs are any particular shape -
> I just want them significantly bigger than what they are now! Shape
> can wait.

Alternate sets of bench press and bent over rows. Parallel dips and
pull ups is another combo which will work. You can do both in the same
workout or in two different workouts.

Do as many sets of pushing as of pulling. Imbalance in muscular
development is not healthy and luckily results in funny look.

I advise on alternating sets, to insure you will train equally muscles
you can see in the mirror and those which others can see when you walk
away. I knew a guy who thought he looks muscular, but seeing him look
in the mirror with a shirt off was strange experience. Like two
different guys standing there. The one in the mirror was muscular, the
one in front of the mirror was skinny. His posture sucked (of course), he
had NO real life strength and with a shirt on he looked skinny even in
front of a mirror (bad posture can do that).

Do not make the same mistake.

BTW - for dips/pullups combo you do not need a gym membership. Two
sturdy chairs to dip between, pullup bar and eventually a backpack with
some weights will do the trick just fine. If you can not do dips yet,
go for pushups. If pullups are too hard yet, do plenty of negatives and
concentrate on adding one positive repetition a week, which is
absolutely doable goal.

--
Andrzej Rosa 1127R
I'm on a medication strike until the FDA stops openly sucking the ****

DZ <[email protected]> wrote:
>Andrzej Rosa <[email protected]> wrote:
>> Dnia 2005-04-11 Beech Mere napisa³(a):
>>> I'm 45, genetically slim build, and want to develop my chest more than
>>> any other muscle group.

>> Do as many sets of pushing as of pulling. [...] I advise on
>> alternating sets [...] BTW - for dips/pullups combo you do not need
>> a gym membership.

>I like your advice in general and I've been doing such pull-push
>routines, but I must say that instead of the chest they for some
>reason mostly developed my arms, which if the trend continues will
>soon be approaching the size of my head ;)
>http://statgen.ncsu.edu/zaykin/tmp/btsd22jpg

Impressive results, Dmitri.

I might note that a recently published study also indicates that
alternate training of agonist/antagonist muscles may be beneficial for
ballistic power movements. It should be good for your muscle-ups.
--

JMW
http://www.rustyiron.net

DZ <[email protected]> wrote:

>JMW <[email protected]> wrote:
>> DZ wrote:

>>>I like your advice in general and I've been doing such pull-push
>>>routines, but I must say that instead of the chest they for some
>>>reason mostly developed my arms, which if the trend continues will
>>>soon be approaching the size of my head ;)
>>>http://statgen.ncsu.edu/zaykin/tmp/btsd22jpg

>> Impressive results, Dmitri.
>>
>> I might note that a recently published study also indicates that
>> alternate training of agonist/antagonist muscles may be beneficial for
>> ballistic power movements. It should be good for your muscle-ups.

>Thanks. Is it this study - http://tinyurl.com/4o2s5 ?
>(Baker D, Newton RU 2005 J Strength Cond Res. 19:202-205)

Yes. I'm disappointed that they only examined the acute affect, and I
would like to see a longitudinal study, but the results were still
something that made me take notice.

>I noticed that muscle-ups are now easier for me to do since I've
>incorporated weighted chins/dips. Before that I was doing the
>bodyweight ones. It certainly gives some "extra" improvement in
>addition to practicing just the exercise itself (muscle-ups).

Weighted chins and dips are good medicine.
--

JMW
http://www.rustyiron.net

On Tue, 12 Apr 2005 20:47:32 -0400, JMW <[email protected]> wrote:

>DZ <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>>JMW <[email protected]> wrote:

>>> Impressive results, Dmitri.
>>>
>>> I might note that a recently published study also indicates that
>>> alternate training of agonist/antagonist muscles may be beneficial for
>>> ballistic power movements. It should be good for your muscle-ups.

>>Thanks. Is it this study - http://tinyurl.com/4o2s5 ?
>>(Baker D, Newton RU 2005 J Strength Cond Res. 19:202-205)

>Yes. I'm disappointed that they only examined the acute affect, and I
>would like to see a longitudinal study, but the results were still
>something that made me take notice.
>
>>I noticed that muscle-ups are now easier for me to do since I've
>>incorporated weighted chins/dips. Before that I was doing the
>>bodyweight ones. It certainly gives some "extra" improvement in
>>addition to practicing just the exercise itself (muscle-ups).

>Weighted chins and dips are good medicine.

Only if they are done correctly!!