Slim 45-y-o - chest first?

Discussion in 'General Fitness' started by Beech Mere, Apr 10, 2005.

  1. Beech Mere

    Beech Mere Guest

    I'm 45, genetically slim build, and want to develop my chest more than
    any other muscle group. It's been 15 years since I last lifted
    weights, and only made moderate progress then.

    Is there a specific pectoral exercise that will primarily develop
    mass? I don't really care whether my pecs are any particular shape -
    I just want them significantly bigger than what they are now! Shape
    can wait.

    Tags:

  2. JMW

    JMW Guest

    [email protected] (Beech Mere) wrote:

    >I'm 45, genetically slim build, and want to develop my chest more than
    >any other muscle group. It's been 15 years since I last lifted
    >weights, and only made moderate progress then.
    >
    >Is there a specific pectoral exercise that will primarily develop
    >mass? I don't really care whether my pecs are any particular shape -
    >I just want them significantly bigger than what they are now! Shape
    >can wait.

    Bench press, parallel bar dips, and pushups with posterior hand
    position.
    --

    JMW
    http://www.rustyiron.net

  3. David  Cohen

    David Cohen Guest

    "Beech Mere" <[email protected]> wrote
    > I'm 45, genetically slim build, and want to develop my chest more than
    > any other muscle group. It's been 15 years since I last lifted
    > weights, and only made moderate progress then.
    >
    > Is there a specific pectoral exercise that will primarily develop
    > mass? I don't really care whether my pecs are any particular shape -
    > I just want them significantly bigger than what they are now! Shape
    > can wait.

    www.exrx.net

    Try bench press and incline bench press. However...

    I suspect what you want is not what you think you want. I suspect you want
    an improved looked TORSO, because developing pectorals without shoulders,
    traps, lats, and upper arms, will make you look goofy, to say the least.
    So...

    Use the site I susgested to find some exercises for your entire torso. Add
    some calories and some protein to your diet.

    David

  4. JMW wrote:

    > Bench press, parallel bar dips, and pushups with posterior hand
    > position.
    > --
    >
    > JMW
    > http://www.rustyiron.net

    Excuse my ignorance, but what is "posterior hand position" ?

  5. Gooserider

    Gooserider Guest

    "David Cohen" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

    > "Beech Mere" <[email protected]> wrote
    > > I'm 45, genetically slim build, and want to develop my chest more than
    > > any other muscle group. It's been 15 years since I last lifted
    > > weights, and only made moderate progress then.
    > >
    > > Is there a specific pectoral exercise that will primarily develop
    > > mass? I don't really care whether my pecs are any particular shape -
    > > I just want them significantly bigger than what they are now! Shape
    > > can wait.

    > www.exrx.net
    >
    > Try bench press and incline bench press. However...
    >
    > I suspect what you want is not what you think you want. I suspect you want
    > an improved looked TORSO, because developing pectorals without shoulders,
    > traps, lats, and upper arms, will make you look goofy, to say the least.
    > So...

    Would it even be possible to develop pecs without developing shoulders and
    upper arms?

  6. JMW

    JMW Guest

    Geezer From The Freezer <[email protected]> wrote:

    >JMW wrote:
    >>

    >> Bench press, parallel bar dips, and pushups with posterior hand
    >> position.
    >> --
    >>
    >> JMW
    >> http://www.rustyiron.net

    >Excuse my ignorance, but what is "posterior hand position" ?

    Hands farther back, i.e., closer to your feet.
    --

    JMW
    http://www.rustyiron.net

  7. JMW wrote:

    > Hands farther back, i.e., closer to your feet.
    > --
    >
    > JMW

    Ok thanks :)

  8. Jay

    Jay Guest

    "Beech Mere" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > I'm 45, genetically slim build, and want to develop my chest more than
    > any other muscle group. It's been 15 years since I last lifted
    > weights, and only made moderate progress then.
    >
    > Is there a specific pectoral exercise that will primarily develop
    > mass? I don't really care whether my pecs are any particular shape -
    > I just want them significantly bigger than what they are now! Shape
    > can wait.

    push things.
    shape can wait? good! not much you can do about shape anyway, inre to muscle
    shape.

    what general condition are you in?

  9. Jay

    Jay Guest

    "Gooserider" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

    > "David Cohen" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    >>
    >> "Beech Mere" <[email protected]> wrote
    >> > I'm 45, genetically slim build, and want to develop my chest more than
    >> > any other muscle group. It's been 15 years since I last lifted
    >> > weights, and only made moderate progress then.
    >> >
    >> > Is there a specific pectoral exercise that will primarily develop
    >> > mass? I don't really care whether my pecs are any particular shape -
    >> > I just want them significantly bigger than what they are now! Shape
    >> > can wait.

    >> www.exrx.net
    >>
    >> Try bench press and incline bench press. However...
    >>
    >> I suspect what you want is not what you think you want. I suspect you
    >> want
    >> an improved looked TORSO, because developing pectorals without shoulders,
    >> traps, lats, and upper arms, will make you look goofy, to say the least.
    >> So...
    >>

    > Would it even be possible to develop pecs without developing shoulders and
    > upper arms?

    unlikely

  10. Beech Mere wrote:
    > I'm 45, genetically slim build, and want to develop my chest more than
    > any other muscle group. It's been 15 years since I last lifted
    > weights, and only made moderate progress then.
    >
    > Is there a specific pectoral exercise that will primarily develop
    > mass? I don't really care whether my pecs are any particular shape -
    > I just want them significantly bigger than what they are now! Shape
    > can wait.

    I think Krista has some info for pre-sex change
    men on her website. HTH.

    --
    Scott Johnson / scottjohnson at kc dot rr dot com

  11. On 10 Apr 2005 23:02:24 -0700, [email protected] (Beech Mere)
    wrote:

    >I'm 45, genetically slim build, and want to develop my chest more than
    >any other muscle group. It's been 15 years since I last lifted
    >weights, and only made moderate progress then.
    >
    >Is there a specific pectoral exercise that will primarily develop
    >mass?

    No. To develop mass you *must* consume enough protein and calories.
    The pectoral exercises (bench, incline bench) may get you stronger but
    without the calories/protein, won't build any mass.

    > I don't really care whether my pecs are any particular shape -
    >I just want them significantly bigger than what they are now!

    You cannot change the shape of your muscles, only the size. Genetics
    determines the shape. If you want to get bigger pecs then do moderate
    to heavy benches and incline benches 2-3X a week with at least a day
    off for rest and EAT, EAT, EAT. Aim to gain about a pound a week or
    so. You will likely gain some fat also but you can always lose that
    later.

    I would not neglect your back muscles however as you will be setting
    yourself up for injury. Include pulldowns, pullups and rowing
    exercises in your regimen.

    RC

  12. Hugh Beyer

    Hugh Beyer Guest

    "Jay" <[email protected]> wrote in
    news:[email protected]:

    > "Gooserider" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    >>
    >> "David Cohen" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >> news:[email protected]
    >>>
    >>> "Beech Mere" <[email protected]> wrote

    >>> www.exrx.net
    >>>
    >>> Try bench press and incline bench press. However...
    >>>
    >>> I suspect what you want is not what you think you want. I suspect you
    >>> want
    >>> an improved looked TORSO, because developing pectorals without
    >>> shoulders, traps, lats, and upper arms, will make you look goofy, to
    >>> say the least. So...
    >>>

    >> Would it even be possible to develop pecs without developing shoulders
    >> and upper arms?
    >>

    > unlikely

    But he could sure hurt himself trying.

    Rows, pulldowns/pullups, reverse flyes to balance the bench work and build
    up the shoulders for that sexy v-taper.

    Hugh

    --
    Experience keeps a dear school, but fools will attend no other.

  13. David  Cohen

    David Cohen Guest

    "Jay" <[email protected]> wrote
    > "Gooserider" <[email protected]> wrote >>
    >> "David Cohen" <[email protected]> wrote
    >>> "Beech Mere" <[email protected]> wrote

    >>> www.exrx.net
    >>>
    >>> Try bench press and incline bench press. However...
    >>>
    >>> I suspect what you want is not what you think you want. I suspect you
    >>> want
    >>> an improved looked TORSO, because developing pectorals without
    >>> shoulders,
    >>> traps, lats, and upper arms, will make you look goofy, to say the least.
    >>> So...
    >>>

    >> Would it even be possible to develop pecs without developing shoulders
    >> and
    >> upper arms?
    >>

    > unlikely

    I disagree. Mr Mere goes up to the resident gym trainer and asks, in
    innocent ignorance, "hey, buddy, which of these machines is good for pecs?",
    and is pointed to the pec deck. So, he does his cardio and five sets of pec
    deck, three times a week, and builds pecs. Little shoulders, no arms.

    Or, maybe more likely, he figures out that the trainer is a moron, and does
    bench and incline press, building chest, shoulders, and triceps. And,
    ignoring lats, traps, and biceps, gets a goofy looking, imbalanced,
    injury-prone, upper body.

    David

  14. JMW

    JMW Guest

    "David Cohen" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >"Jay" <[email protected]bell.net> wrote
    >> "Gooserider" <[email protected]> wrote >>
    >>> "David Cohen" <[email protected]> wrote

    >>> Would it even be possible to develop pecs without developing shoulders
    >>> and
    >>> upper arms?
    >>>

    >> unlikely

    >I disagree. Mr Mere goes up to the resident gym trainer and asks, in
    >innocent ignorance, "hey, buddy, which of these machines is good for pecs?",
    >and is pointed to the pec deck. So, he does his cardio and five sets of pec
    >deck, three times a week, and builds pecs. Little shoulders, no arms.
    >
    >Or, maybe more likely, he figures out that the trainer is a moron, and does
    >bench and incline press, building chest, shoulders, and triceps. And,
    >ignoring lats, traps, and biceps, gets a goofy looking, imbalanced,
    >injury-prone, upper body.

    Or maybe he's a former competitive swimmer with the classic build for
    that type: broad lats and a concave chest.

    I chose to answer the man's question. Let him work on the area that
    he wants to train most; if he gets results, he'll probably want more.
    --

    JMW
    http://www.rustyiron.net

  15. Jay wrote:
    > shape can wait? good! not much you can do about shape anyway, inre to

    muscle
    > shape.
    >
    > what general condition are you in?

    Only crappy-to-fair condition I suppose. I have a 9-5 desk job. I used
    to play indoor volleyball at a fairly high level (club representation).
    These days I'm on the golf course weekly. I don't do aerobic exercise
    or jog, but I walk 10-15km each week in total. Blood pressure is low
    (thankfully). Cholesterol is probably high.

    Also, (and I think this has been answered in the messages above) I need
    to know how long I need to wait in between chest workouts for the
    muscles to recover AND then grow. Would 72 hours be the accepted
    period? In other words, I can blast my pecs once every three days, and
    work other body parts in between (with a rest day tossed in at least
    once per week?)

  16. Andrzej Rosa

    Andrzej Rosa Guest

    Dnia 2005-04-11 Beech Mere napisa³(a):
    > I'm 45, genetically slim build, and want to develop my chest more than
    > any other muscle group. It's been 15 years since I last lifted
    > weights, and only made moderate progress then.
    >
    > Is there a specific pectoral exercise that will primarily develop
    > mass? I don't really care whether my pecs are any particular shape -
    > I just want them significantly bigger than what they are now! Shape
    > can wait.

    Alternate sets of bench press and bent over rows. Parallel dips and
    pull ups is another combo which will work. You can do both in the same
    workout or in two different workouts.

    Do as many sets of pushing as of pulling. Imbalance in muscular
    development is not healthy and luckily results in funny look.

    I advise on alternating sets, to insure you will train equally muscles
    you can see in the mirror and those which others can see when you walk
    away. I knew a guy who thought he looks muscular, but seeing him look
    in the mirror with a shirt off was strange experience. Like two
    different guys standing there. The one in the mirror was muscular, the
    one in front of the mirror was skinny. His posture sucked (of course), he
    had NO real life strength and with a shirt on he looked skinny even in
    front of a mirror (bad posture can do that).

    Do not make the same mistake.

    BTW - for dips/pullups combo you do not need a gym membership. Two
    sturdy chairs to dip between, pullup bar and eventually a backpack with
    some weights will do the trick just fine. If you can not do dips yet,
    go for pushups. If pullups are too hard yet, do plenty of negatives and
    concentrate on adding one positive repetition a week, which is
    absolutely doable goal.

    --
    Andrzej Rosa 1127R
    I'm on a medication strike until the FDA stops openly sucking the cock

  17. JMW

    JMW Guest

    DZ <[email protected]> wrote:
    >Andrzej Rosa <[email protected]> wrote:
    >> Dnia 2005-04-11 Beech Mere napisa³(a):
    >>> I'm 45, genetically slim build, and want to develop my chest more than
    >>> any other muscle group.

    >> Do as many sets of pushing as of pulling. [...] I advise on
    >> alternating sets [...] BTW - for dips/pullups combo you do not need
    >> a gym membership.

    >I like your advice in general and I've been doing such pull-push
    >routines, but I must say that instead of the chest they for some
    >reason mostly developed my arms, which if the trend continues will
    >soon be approaching the size of my head ;)
    >http://statgen.ncsu.edu/zaykin/tmp/btsd22jpg

    Impressive results, Dmitri.

    I might note that a recently published study also indicates that
    alternate training of agonist/antagonist muscles may be beneficial for
    ballistic power movements. It should be good for your muscle-ups.
    --

    JMW
    http://www.rustyiron.net

  18. JMW

    JMW Guest

    DZ <[email protected]> wrote:

    >JMW <[email protected]> wrote:
    >> DZ wrote:

    >>>I like your advice in general and I've been doing such pull-push
    >>>routines, but I must say that instead of the chest they for some
    >>>reason mostly developed my arms, which if the trend continues will
    >>>soon be approaching the size of my head ;)
    >>>http://statgen.ncsu.edu/zaykin/tmp/btsd22jpg

    >> Impressive results, Dmitri.
    >>
    >> I might note that a recently published study also indicates that
    >> alternate training of agonist/antagonist muscles may be beneficial for
    >> ballistic power movements. It should be good for your muscle-ups.

    >Thanks. Is it this study - http://tinyurl.com/4o2s5 ?
    >(Baker D, Newton RU 2005 J Strength Cond Res. 19:202-205)

    Yes. I'm disappointed that they only examined the acute affect, and I
    would like to see a longitudinal study, but the results were still
    something that made me take notice.

    >I noticed that muscle-ups are now easier for me to do since I've
    >incorporated weighted chins/dips. Before that I was doing the
    >bodyweight ones. It certainly gives some "extra" improvement in
    >addition to practicing just the exercise itself (muscle-ups).

    Weighted chins and dips are good medicine.
    --

    JMW
    http://www.rustyiron.net

  19. Charles

    Charles Guest

    On Tue, 12 Apr 2005 20:47:32 -0400, JMW <[email protected]> wrote:

    >DZ <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >>JMW <[email protected]> wrote:

    >>> Impressive results, Dmitri.
    >>>
    >>> I might note that a recently published study also indicates that
    >>> alternate training of agonist/antagonist muscles may be beneficial for
    >>> ballistic power movements. It should be good for your muscle-ups.

    >>Thanks. Is it this study - http://tinyurl.com/4o2s5 ?
    >>(Baker D, Newton RU 2005 J Strength Cond Res. 19:202-205)

    >Yes. I'm disappointed that they only examined the acute affect, and I
    >would like to see a longitudinal study, but the results were still
    >something that made me take notice.
    >
    >>I noticed that muscle-ups are now easier for me to do since I've
    >>incorporated weighted chins/dips. Before that I was doing the
    >>bodyweight ones. It certainly gives some "extra" improvement in
    >>addition to practicing just the exercise itself (muscle-ups).

    >Weighted chins and dips are good medicine.

    Only if they are done correctly!!