slim fast for recovery drink

zaskar

Aug 3, 2003
ive tryed, cytomax, acclerade, eating pasta, ect
i my self recover alot quicker with slim fast,
also for my early morning group rides i down 1
before ride works for me.

is there anything negative about slim fast ingredients?

Originally posted by zaskar

well if you like drinking sugar. what about a fruit joice or fruit?

Originally posted by stevek
well if you like drinking sugar. what about a fruit joice or fruit?

they dont have as much protien to aid recovery.

they dont have as much protien to aid recovery.
then a good protien power and some fruit blended with water or soy milk is pretty good.

i've got no idea what's in a Slim Fast, but the main part of a recovery drink should be carbohydrate. Very high glycaemic carbs, with a small amount of protein is best. Typical amounts should be 1.0 to 1.5 grams carb per kg body mass, with ~ 10g of protein.

Ric

Jamba juice with a protien boost works great.

Originally posted by ricstern
i've got no idea what's in a Slim Fast, but the main part of a recovery drink should be carbohydrate. Very high glycaemic carbs, with a small amount of protein is best. Typical amounts should be 1.0 to 1.5 grams carb per kg body mass, with ~ 10g of protein.

Slim Fast is a popular canned meal replacement drink sold in the U.S., and is marketed toward dieters. Slim Fast is actually a good post exercise recovery drink. Each can provides 220 calories, 40g carbs, and 10g dairy protein. Of the 40g carbs, 35g are sugars, consisting of sucrose, fructose, glucose polymers (maltodextrin), and glucose. Additionally, it contains reasonable concentrations of essential vitamins as well.

Originally posted by Ted B
Slim Fast is a popular canned meal replacement drink sold in the U.S., and is marketed toward dieters. Slim Fast is actually a good post exercise recovery drink. Each can provides 220 calories, 40g carbs, and 10g dairy protein. Of the 40g carbs, 35g are sugars, consisting of sucrose, fructose, glucose polymers (maltodextrin), and glucose. Additionally, it contains reasonable concentrations of essential vitamins as well.

I really enjoy the Snapple Meal Replacement after a workout ... they are fruit flavors, non-dairy and contain 210 calories in 11.5 oz with 7g protein, 400 mg potassium 43 g carbs (36g sugars) and there's a bunch of vitamins and minerals.

At 40g of carbs that's not really enough to aid recovery. Typically most males (and lots of females) are going to require at least twice that amount.

Ric

At 40g of carbs that's not really enough to aid recovery. Typically most males (and lots of females) are going to require at least twice that amount.

Absolutely. I assumed that to be apparent to whomever read this, but I should have made that clear. At any rate, I consider something like this to be simply to be a 'quick fix' en route to having a post excercise meal.

Slimfast is pretty nasty stuff, its essentially very overpriced sugar and skim milk powder

for a post exercise meal i'd go for scoop of high quality whey protein in water or skim milk and then about 60-80g of carbs on top of that.

I bet it would be cheaper, higher quality and better tasting!!

Originally posted by Duckwah
Slimfast is pretty nasty stuff, its essentially very overpriced sugar and skim milk powder

for a post exercise meal i'd go for scoop of high quality whey protein in water or skim milk and then about 60-80g of carbs on top of that.

I bet it would be cheaper, higher quality and better tasting!!

Agree. For those who have to have a sugar hit after a ride, high-quality ice cream with some protein powder would probably be better than Slim Fast. My wife drinks this stuff often as a breakfast or lunch, instead of eating real food. But it doesn't work for weight reduction of course, since it only fuels the sugar cravings for later in the day.

Refined sugar isn't the type of carb I want for recovery....or at any other time. I think it's highly overrated as an energy source.

Dan

Originally posted by dhk Refined sugar isn't the type of carb I want for recovery....or at any other time. I think it's highly overrated as an energy source.

FYI: The purpose of consuming high glycemic index sugars after cycling is to *intentionally* trigger an immediate, strong insulin response.

Why is this?

Insulin is essential in replenishing muscle glycogen. The stronger the insulin response, the more efficient the glycogen replenishment process. The window of opportunity here is a short period of time. If there is any time at all you should consume high glycemic index sugars, it is immediately after glycogen depleting exercise. There are numerous scientific studies that demonstrate this. Additionally, a ratio of 4:1 high glycemic index sugars to protein allows for the uptake of protein without slowing the rate of gastric emptying, and FWIW, good ole Slim Fast happens to contain this ratio of high glycemic index sugars to dairy protein (efficient protein).

This is why even if you find it yucky, pricey, or whatever, Slim Fast is indeed a decent recovery drink, even if by coincidence.

FYI: The purpose of consuming high glycemic index sugars after cycling is to *intentionally* trigger an immediate, strong insulin response.

Why is this?

Insulin is essential in replenishing muscle glycogen. The stronger the insulin response, the more efficient the glycogen replenishment process. The window of opportunity here is a short period of time. If there is any time at all you should consume high glycemic index sugars, it is immediately after glycogen depleting exercise. There are numerous scientific studies that demonstrate this. Additionally, a ratio of 4:1 high glycemic index sugars to protein allows for the uptake of protein without slowing the rate of gastric emptying, and FWIW, good ole Slim Fast happens to contain this ratio of high glycemic index sugars to dairy protein (efficient protein).

This is why even if you find it yucky, pricey, or whatever, Slim Fast is indeed a decent recovery drink, even if by coincidence.

I've heard about a window for restoring the muscle glycogen, but admit don't know anything about it. I assume the studies support that this is the quickest way to get the glycogen back so the muscles are ready for more hard training the next day.

Would like to know more about the concept; eg; How long is the window? How much carb should I consume after a 1 hour daily training ride at an avg of 66-75% max HR? Would a bagel, peanut butter and a glass of milk work....that's my favorite after-ride, but only if I come back really hungry.

I've been avoiding sugar and high-glycemic carbs all year, in dieting from 213 down to 168. Obviously, the 45 pound drop has made riding a lot more fun for me, particularly on the hills. I'm training more now daily, perhaps adding these recovery carbs may help. Appreciate your further info.

Dan

Yes, it seems completely wrong and flies in the face of everything you've been taught to do pursuant to good eating/dieting habits for ordinairy people, but where athletes are concerned, it is important if quick recovery of glycogen is desired. This is especially useful if you are going to train for several days on a stretch.

To summarize what I know, you want to initiate a strong insulin response as soon as possible following exercise, which causes a rapid regeneration of a portion of the spent glycogen. You want to get about 1g/lb bodyweight of high glycemic index carbs (bagels, potatoes, honey, rice, sports drinks, etc.), and you want bit of good protein (specifically arginine), which curiously enough almost doubles the insulin response of carbs alone. Carbs/Protein = 4:1 ratio. This should take place within the first two hours after exercise. You don't want fat (ice cream), as it will just slow gastric emptying.

Two to four hours after exercise, you'll want to eat another relatively high carb meal, same guidelines apply as the first.

Any carbs you eat for the remainder of the recovery period should be low glycemic index, and you can adjust the volume of those to meet the remainder of your dietary needs - and therefore you shouldn't find yourself gaining weight.

I strongly suggest getting a copy of "Serious Cycling" by the late Edmund Burke, Ph.D. It is very well researched, and contains a very informative section on this topic - worth the purchase price alone.

Originally posted by Ted B, i responded with >>

To summarize what I know, you want to initiate a strong insulin response as soon as possible following exercise, which causes a rapid regeneration of a portion of the spent glycogen. You want to get about 1g/lb bodyweight of high glycemic index carbs (bagels, potatoes, honey, rice, sports drinks, etc.)

>>the actual recommendation is 1.0 to 1.5 g/kg body mass of carbs after heavy exercise

Carbs/Protein = 4:1 ratio (stuff snipped)
I strongly suggest getting a copy of "Serious Cycling" by the late Edmund Burke, Ph.D. It is very well researched, and contains a very informative section on this topic - worth the purchase price alone.

>>much as i respect(ed?) Ed, the 4:1 ratio is a tiny bit misleading. Although carbs and protein after exercise *are* good, there's only one study (that i'm aware of, or at least when the book came out) showing that 4:1 was good. In other words no one has tested any other ratios, so we don't know if this is the best ratio.

Ric

>>much as i respect(ed?) Ed, the 4:1 ratio is a tiny bit misleading. Although carbs and protein after exercise *are* good, there's only one study (that i'm aware of, or at least when the book came out) showing that 4:1 was good. In other words no one has tested any other ratios, so we don't know if this is the best ratio.

True, but protein (and fat as well) stimulates CCK, which slows gastric emptying (slows rehydration) and inhibits appetite. While it is claimed to be demonstrated that the ratio I quoted will not cause the aforementioned effect, it makes no guarantees for a higher protein ratio. Rest assured that as a strength athlete, I am inclined (by habit) to consume more protein, but I have found that eating substantially more protein does in fact inhibit my appetite, which makes it more difficult for me to replenish my carbs.

I've also found the same effect with protein. In fact, the key to my weight loss this year has been simply to eat 20-25 gms of quality protein at each meal, watch the carbs and junk fat, and cut out desserts. Now that the weight is where I want it and I'm riding a lot more, I'll specifically try the post-recovery carbs as soon as I get off the bike.

Should I do this after an "easy" ride also? My easy ride is wearing my HRM, and ride an easy hour at 66% of max HR, only hitting 75% for a couple of minutes on the hill back to my house. Do I need the same quantity of carbs? Suppose if I've burned 600 calories on this ride, eating 75 gms is only putting back about half of what I spent on the ride.

Appreciate the fine discussion here. This is a timely topic for me. I've been increasing my mileage, and riding harder because it feels good, but now am running into some recovery issues.

Dan

True, but protein (and fat as well) stimulates CCK, which slows gastric emptying (slows rehydration) and inhibits appetite. While it is claimed to be demonstrated that the ratio I quoted will not cause the aforementioned effect, it makes no guarantees for a higher protein ratio. Rest assured that as a strength athlete, I am inclined (by habit) to consume more protein, but I have found that eating substantially more protein does in fact inhibit my appetite, which makes it more difficult for me to replenish my carbs.

I don't think ric was suggesting that you ate more protein (i.e. >4 to 1). Rather based on rics calculations of 1 to 1.5 g per kg and 10 g of protein....

I would consume between 60 and 90 g of carbs and 10 g of protein.... a ratio of 6 to 1 or even 9 to 1.

Originally posted by dhk ...the key to my weight loss this year has been simply to eat 20-25 gms of quality protein at each meal, watch the carbs and junk fat, and cut out desserts. Now that the weight is where I want it and I'm riding a lot more, I'll specifically try the post-recovery carbs as soon as I get off the bike...Should I do this after an "easy" ride also? I've been increasing my mileage, and riding harder because it feels good, but now am running into some recovery issues.

During low to moderate exercise, you're burning mostly glycogen and some fat simultaneously. This is why it takes much exercise (and time) to lose a little fat at a time. Fat is only utilized during aerobic exercise, and is used at a slower pace because it's not as easy to convert to energy. If you run low on glycogen, you bonk, and your body begins to metabolize muscle as well (not desirable). That being said, depriving your body of adequate glycogen is not beneficial. Where weight loss is concerned, you need enough carbs to replenish glycogen for the next round of exercise, but not an excess. in your case, knowing the difference between sufficient and excess is the key.

Insulin is inhibitory to burning fat, which is why diets like the Atkins Diet are effective for weight loss. Keep the insulin levels low during regular eating, and you'll burn more fat during exercise. If you are going to stress glycogen levels with daily doses of lengthy exercise however, you'll need to replenish glycogen quickly. Studies show that if you start this process immediately following the cessation of exercise, you'll be replenished much more quickly than if you delay. Yes, this involves an insulin response, but you only need to do this once or twice following exercise. Your regular meals for the rest of the day and until your next round of exercise should contain only low glycemic index carbs (keeping your insulin level low), and only in the minimum amount you need to function normally (feel good). Also, a diet high in protein stimulates glucagon synthesis, which inhibits insulin and improves fat metabolism.

Just remember that what you eat immediately post exercise and what you eat the rest of the time should follow different rules - if you are going to exercise again the very next day. Since 'post exercise' is only 2-4 hours of a 24 hour day, it won't upset your diet and will actually give you the glycogen you need to exercise repeatedly, which enables you to burn more fat.

Whew!