Slime clogging Presta valves

Robert Haston

Guest
Having small tires, I can't use pre-slimed tubes. To avoid getting slime
fibers on the core, I push the valve core up inside the tube when I put
slime in the tube.

But still when I go to fill the tire (or add air later) the slime has
constricted the hole enough to make getting air in a real bother.

Any suggestions?

--
Robert Haston
Satellite Beach, FL

On Sat, 23 Sep 2006 15:52:59 GMT, "Robert Haston"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>Having small tires, I can't use pre-slimed tubes. To avoid getting slime
>fibers on the core, I push the valve core up inside the tube when I put
>slime in the tube.
>
>But still when I go to fill the tire (or add air later) the slime has
>constricted the hole enough to make getting air in a real bother.
>
>Any suggestions?

Dear Robert,

Bypass the Presta valve.

Make sure that no one is watching, cut a small hole in the inner tube,
put the slime in through the hole, and patch it.

Cheers,

Carl Fogel

Why would anyone ever want to use that **** in the first place?

Robert Haston wrote:
> Having small tires, I can't use pre-slimed tubes. To avoid getting slime
> fibers on the core, I push the valve core up inside the tube when I put
> slime in the tube.
>
> But still when I go to fill the tire (or add air later) the slime has
> constricted the hole enough to make getting air in a real bother.
>
> Any suggestions?

In article <[email protected]>,
[email protected] says...
> Having small tires, I can't use pre-slimed tubes. To avoid getting slime
> fibers on the core, I push the valve core up inside the tube when I put
> slime in the tube.

How small? I have 700x25, and I run pre-Slimed tubes just fine.

> But still when I go to fill the tire (or add air later) the slime has
> constricted the hole enough to make getting air in a real bother.
>
> Any suggestions?

Position the valve at 10 or 2 o'clock so the the Slime will be pulled away with
assistance from gravity (you need a good pump with a long hose for this), then
give one solid pump. The pressure on your gauge will probably shoot to 140 psi
at this point, but it will begin to dislodge the Slime. Let the pressure in the
hose bleed off a bit (definitely back below your max rating), then try again.
After two or three pumps, you should hear/feel the valve pop open as the Slime
is dislodged.

It also helps to pump /after/ riding, as the Slime will be more evenly
distribute around the tube. You could try spinning the tire rapidly before
inflating as well.

--

__o Kristian Zoerhoff
_'\(,_ [email protected]

Jeff Martin wrote:
> Why would anyone ever want to use that **** in the first place?

You live in an area with lots of goatheads and not a lot of traffic.

Greg

--
"All my time I spent in heaven
Revelries of dance and wine

Robert Haston wrote:
> Having small tires, I can't use pre-slimed tubes. To avoid getting slime
> fibers on the core, I push the valve core up inside the tube when I put
> slime in the tube.
>
> But still when I go to fill the tire (or add air later) the slime has
> constricted the hole enough to make getting air in a real bother.
>
> Any suggestions?

Continental tubes have removable Presta stems. Unscrew, fill with slime,
then rescrew.

To make top-posters respond inanely?

--
Typoes are a feature, not a bug.

Werehatrack wrote:

> To make top-posters respond inanely?
>
> On Sat, 23 Sep 2006 15:32:37 -0500, Jeff Martin
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> Why would anyone ever want to use that **** in the first place?
>>
>> Robert Haston wrote:
>>> Having small tires, I can't use pre-slimed tubes. To avoid getting
>>> slime fibers on the core, I push the valve core up inside the tube
>>> when I put slime in the tube.
>>>
>>> But still when I go to fill the tire (or add air later) the slime
>>> has constricted the hole enough to make getting air in a real
>>> bother.
>>>
>>> Any suggestions?

To make who do what?