Slime inners, and punctures

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Stainlesssteelr, Apr 16, 2003.

  1. Has anyone else tried using the Slime inners, that sit between the tube and the tyre?

    I have to say that so far they are proving to be useless, having had two punctures in as many weeks
    from a stone and thorn which went straight through the liner.

    Any good puncture-proof solutions out there? The forest I ride through has a large number of flints
    waiting to kill my tyres.

    --
    StainlessSteelRat Ace Ventura: Do you really wanna know why I do what I do? Melissa Robinson: No I'm
    not sure I really wanna know any more. Ace Ventura: Well you better be sure, because once you get

    Tags:

  2. "StainlessSteelRat" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > Has anyone else tried using the Slime inners, that sit between the tube and the tyre?

    Surely all that slime can't do much for tube weight! They say weight on the wheels feels 3 times
    heavier than weight on the bike!

  3. Adrian Boliston wrote:
    >> Has anyone else tried using the Slime inners, that sit between the tube and the tyre?
    >
    > Surely all that slime can't do much for tube weight! They say weight on the wheels feels 3 times
    > heavier than weight on the bike!

    These are the plastic strips that sit between the tube and the tyre *not* the liquid stuff, I
    wouldn't have used that. In some ways it's a damn good idea, because certain plastics are very
    puncture resistant. Unfortunately the Slime inners are not made of this :-(

    --
    StainlessSteelRat "The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of
    all art and science." -- Albert Einstein

  4. On 15 Apr 2003 01:49:18 -0700, [email protected] (Russell) wrote:

    >Can anyone give me an idea why my chain refuses to stay on the big ring?

    >The bike is [...] old

    Front chainring is worn out. If you look from the side it's probably "hooked". It the chainline is
    very diagonal, the sideways force from it is enough to pull it off. The fix is often to not use low
    gears at the back, without shifting down at the front first.

    You might even find that just cleaning the chain is enough to fix it !

    Or it could be the front changer out of alignment, or it could even be the shifter/cables
    (increasingly unlikely).

    www.sheldonbrown.com knows all.

    BTW - If this has triple chainrings (which I doubt) then _don't adjust the cables. There are two
    little screws on the changer itself, which set the limit positions. Set these first for the outer
    two rings, then just use the cable adjuster for the middle ring.

  5. Alex Graham

    Alex Graham Guest

  6. "StainlessSteelRat" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Has anyone else tried using the Slime inners, that sit between the tube
    and
    > the tyre?
    >
    > I have to say that so far they are proving to be useless, having had two punctures in as many
    > weeks from a stone and thorn which went straight through the liner.

    I'm surprised to hear that. I use liners - I'm pretty sure they're the 'slime' ones - and I swear by
    them (not at them). They really do work for me, at least over glass-strewn London roads. I've got
    tyres that are slashed through the casing all over, in some places the gashes are so wide the liner
    is practically the only thing stopping the tube popping out through the tyre, but nothing has ever
    penetrated the liner. It's thick and heavy enough that it seems it ought to be able to stop most
    ordinary road - or forest - hazards going through.

    At least, I doubt there's anything better. If you're using liners and still getting punctures
    perhaps the only other thing to try is the other slime product in addition to the liner - that
    squishy stuff that goes inside the tube and is supposed to seal any punctures instantly. I've also
    had good results with that (used it before I put the liners in instead). At worst it turned what
    would have been an instant flat into a slow leak, keeping enough pressure in the tyre to continue
    home (this was on a wet day, and water was penetrating between the tyre and tube making it, I
    suppose, difficult for the stuff to set and seal) , at best it really did seal punctures leaving the
    tubes needing no further attention at all. The two together might keep your tyres up enough to keep
    riding and get home before having to deal with punctures acquired en route!

    Rich

  7. Alex Graham wrote:
    >> Any good puncture-proof solutions out there? The forest I ride through has a large number of
    >> flints waiting to kill my tyres.
    >
    > Kevlar?

    Is there actually an implementation of this for bike tyres? Or am I going to have wrap bullet-proof
    vests around my wheels?

    --
    StainlessSteelRat "Buffy, when I said you could slay vampires and have a social life, I didn't mean
    at the same time." -- Giles

  8. Alex Graham

    Alex Graham Guest

    StainlessSteelRat wrote:
    > Alex Graham wrote:
    >
    >>>Any good puncture-proof solutions out there? The forest I ride through has a large number of
    >>>flints waiting to kill my tyres.
    >>
    >>Kevlar?
    >

    > Is there actually an implementation of this for bike tyres? Or am I going to have wrap
    > bullet-proof vests around my wheels?

    Yes, there are loads of tyres with kevlar belts out there - Schwalbe Marathons for one.

    --

    -Alex

    ----------------------------------
    [email protected]

    http://alexpg.ath.cx:3353/cycling.php http://www.westerleycycling.org.uk
    ----------------------------------

  9. StainlessSteelRat <[email protected]> wrote:
    > Adrian Boliston wrote:
    >>> Has anyone else tried using the Slime inners, that sit between the tube and the tyre?
    >>
    >> Surely all that slime can't do much for tube weight! They say weight on the wheels feels 3 times
    >> heavier than weight on the bike!
    >
    > These are the plastic strips that sit between the tube and the tyre *not* the liquid stuff, I
    > wouldn't have used that. In some ways it's a damn good idea, because certain plastics are very
    > puncture resistant. Unfortunately the Slime inners are not made of this :-(

    I use them on an MTB with slicks on and have only had one puncture since fitting them, and that was
    a fatigue puncture at the end of the inner part of the overlap. However, I'd hardly had any
    punctures with this tyre before anyway (Continental Goliath), so statistically it might not be a
    good sample, in the 6 or 8 years I've used them I've had about 3. I only started using the slime
    strips after a spate of punctures with some knobblies I use in the winter, and left them on when I
    changed back to the slicks.

    Trev

  10. John B

    John B Guest

    Alex Graham wrote:

    > Yes, there are loads of tyres with kevlar belts out there - Schwalbe Marathons for one.

    Yes they do. I've just mended a puncture on one that has covered barely 300 miles :-(

    John B

  11. Alex Graham

    Alex Graham Guest

  12. "StainlessSteelRat" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > Has anyone else tried using the Slime inners, that sit between the tube and the tyre?
    >
    > I have to say that so far they are proving to be useless, having had two punctures in as many
    > weeks from a stone and thorn which went straight through the liner.
    >
    > Any good puncture-proof solutions out there? The forest I ride through has a large number of
    > flints waiting to kill my tyres.
    Try Kairfree tyre liners. Not puncture free but at least 90% reduction. Oh and they're a
    bugger to fit.