Slime problem

merlin morris

Dec 19, 2005
Simple question!

There are many thorns were I have just moved.

How do I force a presta valve core back through the valve stem with out damaging the tube after sliming it?

Thanks

merlin morris said:
Simple question!

How do I force a presta valve core back through the valve stem with out damaging the tube after sliming it?

Thanks
I know this really isn't an answer to your question, but thought I would offer my opinion. I switched to schrader valves years ago, mainly because they were easier to Slime. Also, when you're out on the trail, and are in desperate need of a tube to get home, you can borrow either a schrader or presta stemmed tube. I drilled out the stem hole in the rim to fit schrader, and have never had a problem.

Maybe someone can tell me why presta valves are so popular. I can see no real advantage of any kind using them over schrader valves. Maybe it's just a Gucci thing...

Tom

Tmax said:
I
Maybe someone can tell me why presta valves are so popular.
Tom
Regarding slime, I have also posted this question at cyclingtech talk forum with no results. Maybe I am just ham handed. I will probably do the next tubes with a q tip. :confused:

Prestas are used mainly because, the hole they make in the rim is smaller but also because the mechanism is simple, with a floor pump they are easier to fill. I bet they are much lighter also. Ever try a Dunlop?

merlin morris said:
Regarding slime, I have also posted this question at cyclingtech talk forum with no results. Maybe I am just ham handed. I will probably do the next tubes with a q tip. :confused:

Prestas are used mainly because, the hole they make in the rim is smaller but also because the mechanism is simple, with a floor pump they are easier to fill. I bet they are much lighter also. Ever try a Dunlop?
No, I haven't tried a Dunlop.

I can certainly see where you would need a presta valve tube with road wheels, because of the narrow width. With mountain bike rims, that isn an issue. I have bought rims that come drilled for schrader, but have a presta insert (adapter).

As far as simplicity, I really don't see how a presta is simpler than a schrader valve. Nothing to open and close. No adapters required for pumps or compressors.

As far as weight is concerned, there can't be more that a few grams difference, but don't know for sure. If you can tell the difference, you're probably a hell of a lot better rider than I amhttp://www.cyclingforums.com/images/icons/icon12.gif

Anyway, I think it must be a personal preference thing. All I know, though, is since I've changed to schrader, I can slime my tubes with no problems, and other than that, I can't tell the difference as to what tube is in my tire.

Tom

Tmax said:
No, I haven't tried a Dunlop.

With mountain bike rims, that isn an issue. I have bought rims that come drilled for schrader, but have a presta insert (adapter).

Tom
The other thing is I want to use the same valve for all my bikes, it’s easier with the pumps. And I already own 5 presta MTB rims. And the main bike with thorn problems is a cyclocross bike.

One other reason to use presta I think, is that they may be a bit easier to mount with the valve straight. And they have that cool little collar.

Dunlops are still common in Germany and maybe other places somewhat like a shrader you can disassemble. Its quite annoying to use one bc the valve is slightly different diameter requiring a change with the chuck. I was very confused the first time I got one!

merlin morris said:
The other thing is I want to use the same valve for all my bikes, it’s easier with the pumps. And I already own 5 presta MTB rims. And the main bike with thorn problems is a cyclocross bike.

One other reason to use presta I think, is that they may be a bit easier to mount with the valve straight. And they have that cool little collar.

Dunlops are still common in Germany and maybe other places somewhat like a shrader you can disassemble. Its quite annoying to use one bc the valve is slightly different diameter requiring a change with the chuck. I was very confused the first time I got one!
Okay, if I had several bikes, I would use a common valve type, too...that makes a lot of sense.

I'll have to do a search on the Dunlop. I've never seen one.

Good luck solving your Slime problem.

Tom

merlin morris said:
Simple question!

Thanks
Not sure if they do it for presta tubes but you can buy pre-slimed tubes in the schrader style. Might be worth checking to see if presta is also available. The price I paid for a single tube would be equivalent to buying a normal tube plus the slime (only you don't have the hassle of trying to get the slime in :))

i switched to tubeless using mavic dee max wheels (ust) and continental tires (ust) i als put in a bit of stans no tubes fluid in case of thorns

merlin morris said:
Simple question!

Thanks

i dunno if anyone has already said this cause i dont have time to read everything but how about give up with slime because its **** and use notubes, get a rimstrip and fluid and it'll be lighter and its **** easy to use

Previously I asked about controlling the presta core, when installing slime. However I realized I have access to hypodermic needles. Why not let the air out and inject the tires? Has anyone tried this? A needle hole should certainly seal much quicker/reliably than a thorn hole. Right?

Ive got presta valves, and i simply used slime liners instead, they might be a little heavier but they stop a puncture.