Slime Self Healing PV Road Tube?!?!

Prisoner at War

Guest
The claim is that it "instantly seals punctures up to 1/8" as you
ride" and "works repeatedly, lasts up to 2 years"...how's this
possible -- and how's it that we're still using regular tubes, then???

Also, has anyone any experience with gluelss patch kits? How are
they, how do they work?

TIA!

We still use traditional tubes, because a single Slime tube will weigh
more than a pair of tires AND standard tubes combined.

Just use Tufo tubulars - most reliable tire ever and the reason I still
ride on tubulars on all of my bikes, including my mountain bike.

If you don't use standard tubular rimes, you can also get almost all of
their tires in a clincher version. The tire does not contain a tube at
all, and uses a sealant (absolutely nothing like the slime compound) to
fill punctures. I am on the bike 20 hours a week and have been using
Tufo tires for over 15 years. In all that time, I have never, ever had
a flat tire - except for almost every race where I am not allowed to use
Tufo's.

Any shop can order them from the distributor in Canada, or from Airo
International in California.

Prisoner at War wrote:
> The claim is that it "instantly seals punctures up to 1/8" as you
> ride" and "works repeatedly, lasts up to 2 years"...how's this
> possible -- and how's it that we're still using regular tubes, then???
>
> Also, has anyone any experience with gluelss patch kits? How are
> they, how do they work?
>

> TIA!

On Tue, 01 May 2007 22:56:24 -0700, Pista <[email protected]>
wrote:

>We still use traditional tubes, because a single Slime tube will weigh
>more than a pair of tires AND standard tubes combined.
>
>Just use Tufo tubulars - most reliable tire ever and the reason I still
>ride on tubulars on all of my bikes, including my mountain bike.
>
>If you don't use standard tubular rimes, you can also get almost all of
>their tires in a clincher version. The tire does not contain a tube at
>all, and uses a sealant (absolutely nothing like the slime compound) to
>fill punctures. I am on the bike 20 hours a week and have been using
>Tufo tires for over 15 years. In all that time, I have never, ever had
>a flat tire - except for almost every race where I am not allowed to use
>Tufo's.
>
>Any shop can order them from the distributor in Canada, or from Airo
>International in California.
>
>Prisoner at War wrote:
>> The claim is that it "instantly seals punctures up to 1/8" as you
>> ride" and "works repeatedly, lasts up to 2 years"...how's this
>> possible -- and how's it that we're still using regular tubes, then???
>>
>> Also, has anyone any experience with gluelss patch kits? How are
>> they, how do they work?
>>

>> TIA!

Dear P & P,

A road Slime tube weighs 180 grams--see the specs tab. Two of them
weigh 360 grams:

http://www.performancebike.com/shop/profile.cfm?SKU=4633&subcategory_ID=5411

A road tube of similar thickness weighs 117 grams--again, see the
specs tab. Two of them weigh 234 grams:

http://www.performancebike.com/shop/profile.cfm?SKU=2294&subcategory_ID=5411

You can get lighter Slime tubes and light ordinary tubes, but this is
enough to make the point--a pair of Slime tubes adds a total of about
126 grams to a 700c bicycle and rider.

A 158-lb rider and an 18-lb bicycle weigh 80,000 grams. Replacing the
ordinary tubes with Slime tubes adds 126 grams.

126 / 80,000 = 0.1575%

It is doubtful that any rider can detect a 0.1575% total weight
difference while actually riding.

Slime tubes are not popular for several reasons:

1) Exaggerated fears of weight penalties--see above.

2) Fuss and trouble with the tire valve and air pressure gauges. The
green Slime and wispy white fibers can clog things.

3) Exaggerated expectations concerning sealants. Slime works best at
sealing pinhole punctures from goathead thorns, not at sealing larger
punctures and punctures higher up the sidewall.

4) Most of all, few riders suffer enough flats to see much benefit.

I use Slime tubes because goathead punctures are about as common where
I live in Pueblo, Colorado, as rain is in Seattle. I don't carry a
rain jacket on my daily ride, so I can understand why few Seattle
riders bother with Slime tubes.

So far this year, I've had only 8 flats in 87 fifteen-mile rides, all
from goatheads. About half the time, I find the flat tire the next day
and can fix it in the comfort of my garage because the Slime let it
hold pressure.

Slime tubes probably aren't worth the trouble for glass, nails, rock
chips, and big thorns.

But I find Slime tubes darned useful for goathead pinholes.

Cheers,

Carl Fogel

Prisoner at War wrote:
> The claim is that it "instantly seals punctures up to 1/8" as you
> ride" and "works repeatedly, lasts up to 2 years"...how's this
> possible -- and how's it that we're still using regular tubes, then???

I have punctures about once every two years on average: it just isn't
worth it for me. The sort of thing that will get through a Marathon and
let a tyre down is quite possibly past slime's capabilities in any case.

Pete.
--
Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK

On 1 May 2007 22:20:17 -0700, Prisoner at War
<[email protected]> wrote of Slime:

>The claim is that it "instantly seals punctures up to 1/8" as you
>ride" and "works repeatedly, lasts up to 2 years"...how's this
>possible -- and how's it that we're still using regular tubes, then???

A blowout will clearly demonstrate why many people hate that stuff.
Suddenly you've got sticky green crud all over everything.

A flatted tire full of Slime squirms like a bare rim on pavement.
--
zk

On May 1, 11:20 pm, Prisoner at War <[email protected]> wrote:
> The claim is that it "instantly seals punctures up to 1/8" as you
> ride" and "works repeatedly, lasts up to 2 years"...how's this
> possible -- and how's it that we're still using regular tubes, then???

Slime is fairly expensive and messy. I used to use it a lot when I
commuted ~8 miles each way, since it was worth it to avoid flats at
night or in the cold. On those occasions when the tire did get low, I
usually just pumped it up once and it would get me home.

But that was on a commuter MTB. On my road bike, I don't get flats
often enough to justify the mess or the expense: maybe once or twice a
year. I've never seen what Slime does at ~100-120 psi. I'm just more
comfortable with a new tube instead.

> Also, has anyone any experience with gluelss patch kits? How are
> they, how do they work?

On my commuter, yes. Glueless patches seem to work just fine, but I
usually only use them until I get home, then I put on a new tube.
Perhaps I'm overly conservative, but for $4, a new tube is a cheap way
for me to have confidence in my bike on the next ride.

I did use a glueless patch on my road bike once. It got me home OK,
but I was glad I only had about 3 miles to go.

-JR

"Pista" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> We still use traditional tubes, because a single Slime tube will weigh
> more than a pair of tires AND standard tubes combined.
>
> Just use Tufo tubulars - most reliable tire ever and the reason I still
> ride on tubulars on all of my bikes, including my mountain bike.
>
> If you don't use standard tubular rimes, you can also get almost all of
> their tires in a clincher version. The tire does not contain a tube at
> all, and uses a sealant (absolutely nothing like the slime compound) to
> fill punctures. I am on the bike 20 hours a week and have been using Tufo
> tires for over 15 years. In all that time, I have never, ever had a flat
> tire - except for almost every race where I am not allowed to use Tufo's.
>
> Any shop can order them from the distributor in Canada, or from Airo
> International in California.
>
> Prisoner at War wrote:
>> The claim is that it "instantly seals punctures up to 1/8" as you
>> ride" and "works repeatedly, lasts up to 2 years"...how's this
>> possible -- and how's it that we're still using regular tubes, then???
>>
>> Also, has anyone any experience with gluelss patch kits? How are
>> they, how do they work?
>>

>> TIA!

Pista,
Which races won't let you use Tufos, and why?
Thanks,
Kerry

On Wed, 02 May 2007 18:02:39 GMT, "Kerry Montgomery"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>"Pista" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>news:[email protected]...
>> We still use traditional tubes, because a single Slime tube will weigh
>> more than a pair of tires AND standard tubes combined.
>>
>> Just use Tufo tubulars - most reliable tire ever and the reason I still
>> ride on tubulars on all of my bikes, including my mountain bike.
>>
>> If you don't use standard tubular rimes, you can also get almost all of
>> their tires in a clincher version. The tire does not contain a tube at
>> all, and uses a sealant (absolutely nothing like the slime compound) to
>> fill punctures. I am on the bike 20 hours a week and have been using Tufo
>> tires for over 15 years. In all that time, I have never, ever had a flat
>> tire - except for almost every race where I am not allowed to use Tufo's.
>>
>> Any shop can order them from the distributor in Canada, or from Airo
>> International in California.
>>
>> Prisoner at War wrote:
>>> The claim is that it "instantly seals punctures up to 1/8" as you
>>> ride" and "works repeatedly, lasts up to 2 years"...how's this
>>> possible -- and how's it that we're still using regular tubes, then???
>>>
>>> Also, has anyone any experience with gluelss patch kits? How are
>>> they, how do they work?
>>>

>>> TIA!
>>>

>Pista,
>Which races won't let you use Tufos, and why?
>Thanks,
>Kerry

Dear Kerry,

The same races where anyone who doesn't use Tufos with sealant added
gets flats "almost every" time.

:)

Cheers,

Carl Fogel

On 2007-05-02, SlowRider <[email protected]> wrote:
> On May 1, 11:20 pm, Prisoner at War <[email protected]> wrote:
>> The claim is that it "instantly seals punctures up to 1/8" as you
>> ride" and "works repeatedly, lasts up to 2 years"...how's this
>> possible -- and how's it that we're still using regular tubes, then???

> Slime is fairly expensive and messy. I used to use it a lot when I
> commuted ~8 miles each way, since it was worth it to avoid flats at
> night or in the cold. On those occasions when the tire did get low, I
> usually just pumped it up once and it would get me home.
>
> But that was on a commuter MTB. On my road bike, I don't get flats
> often enough to justify the mess or the expense: maybe once or twice a
> year. I've never seen what Slime does at ~100-120 psi. I'm just more
> comfortable with a new tube instead.
>
>> Also, has anyone any experience with gluelss patch kits? How are
>> they, how do they work?

> On my commuter, yes. Glueless patches seem to work just fine, but I
> usually only use them until I get home, then I put on a new tube.
> Perhaps I'm overly conservative, but for $4, a new tube is a cheap way
> for me to have confidence in my bike on the next ride.
>
> I did use a glueless patch on my road bike once. It got me home OK,
> but I was glad I only had about 3 miles to go.

I used one on the front tube on my recumbent about 500 miles ago and
pretty much forgot about it till I read this thread. I guess I'll leave
it there just to see how long it lasts.

[email protected] wrote:
> [...]

> sealing pinhole punctures from goathead thorns, not at sealing larger
> punctures and punctures higher up the sidewall.
>
> 4) Most of all, few riders suffer enough flats to see much benefit.
>
> I use Slime tubes because goathead punctures are about as common where
> I live in Pueblo, Colorado, as rain is in Seattle. I don't carry a
> rain jacket on my daily ride, so I can understand why few Seattle
> riders bother with Slime tubes.
>
> So far this year, I've had only 8 flats in 87 fifteen-mile rides, all
> from goatheads. About half the time, I find the flat tire the next day
> and can fix it in the comfort of my garage because the Slime let it
> hold pressure.
>
> Slime tubes probably aren't worth the trouble for glass, nails, rock
> chips, and big thorns.
>
> But I find Slime tubes darned useful for goathead pinholes.

I like Slime Ultralite tubes. They don't have the white, whispy fibers.
They are a little heavier than regular light tubes but have a nice high
collar around the stem. Stem/tube separation has never been a problem as
it has with so many other Presta tubes I have use. I don't, however,
like the Slime itself, so I remove the valve core and squeeze out as
much of the Slime as I can, and just take my chances with goatheads. The
Slime is quite toxic to grass, BTW.

Ken

On Wed, 02 May 2007 23:27:47 -0600, kwalters <[email protected]>
wrote:

> [...]

>> from goatheads. About half the time, I find the flat tire the next day
>> and can fix it in the comfort of my garage because the Slime let it
>> hold pressure.
>>
>> Slime tubes probably aren't worth the trouble for glass, nails, rock
>> chips, and big thorns.
>>
>> But I find Slime tubes darned useful for goathead pinholes.
>>
>> Cheers,
>>
>> Carl Fogel

>I like Slime Ultralite tubes. They don't have the white, whispy fibers.
>They are a little heavier than regular light tubes but have a nice high
>collar around the stem. Stem/tube separation has never been a problem as
>it has with so many other Presta tubes I have use. I don't, however,
>like the Slime itself, so I remove the valve core and squeeze out as
>much of the Slime as I can, and just take my chances with goatheads. The

Dear Ken,

Glad to hear that you found something that suits you, even if it takes
modification.

As for killing the grass, practically any thick but non-toxic liqud
will kill grass if not hosed off.

Slime itself is edible.

The page that I used to link to on the Slime site has vanished, but
your ice cream probably contains Slime's chief ingredient, propylene
glycol:

http://groups.google.com/group/rec.bicycles.tech/msg/b9c61c2231186e6b

Cheers,

Carl Fogel