Slime tubes

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by The Big Baguett, Feb 8, 2003.

  1. I have been using slime tubes for a few months. I felt that the rear tyre needed air too often
    (every second day, though only a few strokes), so I took the tube out and inspected it. No sign
    whatever of any self- sealed punctures (I'm also using slime liners). I inflated the tube and
    checked it in water. Not a bubble. I left it to see whether it would go down at all. It hasn't. Now
    I want to put it back on the bike.

    And here's the problem.

    When I press the little tit at the end of the presta valve, the slime comes bubbling out. I don't
    want that to happen, so I stopped. But without letting a lot of the air out, I can't get the tube
    back on and the tyre in place.

    Apparent stalemate.

    What do others do?
    --
    The Big Baguette

    Tags:

  2. In article <[email protected]>, The Big Baguette <[email protected]> writes

    >I have been using slime tubes for a few months. I felt that the rear tyre needed air too often
    >(every second day, though only a few strokes), so I took the tube out and inspected it. No sign
    >whatever of any self- sealed punctures (I'm also using slime liners). I inflated the tube and
    >checked it in water. Not a bubble. I left it to see whether it would go down at all. It hasn't. Now
    >I want to put it back on the bike.
    >
    >And here's the problem.
    >
    >When I press the little tit at the end of the presta valve, the slime comes bubbling out. I don't
    >want that to happen, so I stopped. But without letting a lot of the air out, I can't get the tube
    >back on and the tyre in place.
    >
    >Apparent stalemate.
    >
    >What do others do?

    Please ignore this question. I have now discovered what most people probably already knew -- leave
    the valve unscrewed and it goes flat of its own accord.
    --
    The Big Baguette

  3. Sandy Morton

    Sandy Morton Guest

    In article <[email protected]>, The Big Baguette <[email protected]> wrote:
    > When I press the little tit at the end of the presta valve, the slime comes bubbling out. I don't
    > want that to happen, so I stopped. But without letting a lot of the air out, I can't get the tube
    > back on and the tyre in place.

    Hanging the tube up with the valve at the top normally works - leave overnight - then let the air
    gently out.

    --
    A T (Sandy) Morton on the Bicycle Island In the Global Village http://www.sandymillport.fsnet.co.uk

  4. Just Zis Guy

    Just Zis Guy Guest

    On Sat, 08 Feb 2003 13:49:09 +0000 (GMT), Sandy Morton <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Hanging the tube up with the valve at the top normally works - leave overnight - then let the air
    >gently out.

    No no no - you must put the valve at the bottom! Stale air is heavier than fresh air, and if you
    don't put the valve at the bottom it won't run out!

    Guy
    ===
    dynamic DNS permitting)
    work. Apologies.

  5. Pete Biggs

    Pete Biggs Guest

    The Big Baguette wrote: [prestas]
    > Please ignore this question. I have now discovered what most people probably already knew -- leave
    > the valve unscrewed and it goes flat of its own accord.

    Shouldn't do normally - although perhaps the valve doesn't function properly when there's only a
    tiny bit of air/pressure left ?

    ~PB

  6. In article <[email protected]>, Pete Biggs
    <pLime{remove_fruit}@biggs.tc> writes
    >The Big Baguette wrote: [prestas]
    >> Please ignore this question. I have now discovered what most people probably already knew --
    >> leave the valve unscrewed and it goes flat of its own accord.
    >
    >Shouldn't do normally - although perhaps the valve doesn't function properly when there's only a
    >tiny bit of air/pressure left ?

    Well, it did. Is this perhaps why I've needed to put small amounts of air in more frequently than I
    expect? Could the valve be defective?
    --
    The Big Baguette

  7. In article <[email protected]de>, Pete Biggs
    <pLime{remove_fruit}@biggs.tc> writes
    >The Big Baguette wrote:
    >>> [prestas]
    >>>
    >>> Shouldn't do normally - although perhaps the valve doesn't function properly when there's only a
    >>> tiny bit of air/pressure left ?
    >>>
    >> Well, it did. Is this perhaps why I've needed to put small amounts of air in more frequently than
    >> I expect? Could the valve be defective?
    >
    >Unlikely for the valve itself to be faulty - prestas are simple and extremely reliable (and I've
    >never found one faulty in this way) - although perhaps yours is gummed up (?). The bonding between
    >valve and tube could be dodgy or the tube could have a tiny hole somewhere (despite the slime), but
    >this has nothing to do with valve nut being unscrewed.
    >
    >A presta tube will normally hold normal pressure whether the nut is done up or not. The only time
    >it might release air through the unlocked valve is if it's ridden when centrifugal force and bumps
    >may cause the valve to momentarily depress.
    >
    >Inner tube material is porous so all tyres gradually release air all the time - that's usually
    >why they eventually go flat. If the tube is thinner and narrower than you're used to, it will
    >require more frequent inflation - although no common butyl tube should loose much more than about
    >20psi per day.

    No, it's a big fatty. Your comments make me think I've been concerned about nothing. Since recent
    advice here I've started inflating my tyres (Marathon Slicks) to 100 psi and the 'deflation' has
    amounted to no more than 10-15 psi over three days and up to 100 miles. This is normal, then?
    --
    The Big Baguette

  8. Pete Biggs

    Pete Biggs Guest

    The Big Baguette wrote:
    >> [prestas]
    >>> leave the valve unscrewed and it goes flat of its own accord.
    >>
    >> Shouldn't do normally - although perhaps the valve doesn't function properly when there's only a
    >> tiny bit of air/pressure left ?
    >>
    > Well, it did. Is this perhaps why I've needed to put small amounts of air in more frequently than
    > I expect? Could the valve be defective?

    Unlikely for the valve itself to be faulty - prestas are simple and extremely reliable (and I've
    never found one faulty in this way) - although perhaps yours is gummed up (?). The bonding between
    valve and tube could be dodgy or the tube could have a tiny hole somewhere (despite the slime), but
    this has nothing to do with valve nut being unscrewed.

    A presta tube will normally hold normal pressure whether the nut is done up or not. The only time it
    might release air through the unlocked valve is if it's ridden when centrifugal force and bumps may
    cause the valve to momentarily depress.

    Inner tube material is porous so all tyres gradually release air all the time - that's usually
    why they eventually go flat. If the tube is thinner and narrower than you're used to, it will
    require more frequent inflation - although no common butyl tube should loose much more than about
    20psi per day.

    ~PB

  9. Pete Biggs

    Pete Biggs Guest

    >>> [prestas]
    >>>
    >>> Shouldn't do normally - although perhaps the valve doesn't function properly when there's only a
    >>> tiny bit of air/pressure left ?

    Update: Tested a tube with only a very few psi in it with an undone nut, and it does indeed go flat
    of its own accord, but I've never noticed this happen when tyre is fully inflated.

    ~PB

  10. James Annan

    James Annan Guest

    The Big Baguette wrote:
    > In article <[email protected]>, Pete Biggs
    > <pLime{remove_fruit}@biggs.tc> writes
    >

    >>although no common butyl tube should loose much more than about 20psi per day.
    >>

    > No, it's a big fatty. Your comments make me think I've been concerned about nothing. Since recent
    > advice here I've started inflating my tyres (Marathon Slicks) to 100 psi and the 'deflation' has
    > amounted to no more than 10-15 psi over three days and up to 100 miles. This is normal, then?

    Well it sounds excessive to me, but perhaps not to Pete if he expects to lose up to 20psi per day. I
    would say a typical figure is more like 20psi per month. I pump up my tyres about once every month
    or two, if I remember.

    James

  11. Pete Biggs

    Pete Biggs Guest

    The Big Baguette wrote:

    >> Inner tube material is porous so all tyres gradually release air all the time - that's usually
    >> why they eventually go flat. If the tube is thinner and narrower than you're used to, it will
    >> require more frequent inflation - although no common butyl tube should loose much more than about
    >> 20psi per day.
    >>
    > No, it's a big fatty. Your comments make me think I've been concerned about nothing. Since recent
    > advice here I've started inflating my tyres (Marathon Slicks) to 100 psi and the 'deflation' has
    > amounted to no more than 10-15 psi over three days and up to 100 miles. This is normal, then?

    Nothing to worry about - a slow puncture or faulty valve would flatten tyre faster than that.

    I don't know exactly what tubes you've got (nor do I know the Marathons very well), but yes it's
    normal for many tyres to go down by that much. It's usually more noticable with skinny tyres though,
    simply because there's not much volume of air in them in the first place. I have to top up my 700x23
    "racing" tyres every day, or every other day if I'm feeling lazy.

    If you want to pump less often, change inner tubes for thicker and wider ones if possible. They'll
    hold the air better. Fat tyres with suitable tubes can hold sufficient air for several weeks without
    pumping if you're not fussy about loosing a few PSI (so giving them a bit extra to start with
    helps). Otherwise, they'll still need topping up: say, once every few days to once a week.

    ~PB

  12. Pete Biggs

    Pete Biggs Guest

    James Annan wrote:
    > Well it sounds excessive to me, but perhaps not to Pete if he expects to lose up to 20psi per day.

    ...Only with high pressure narrow tyres with ultra light tubes (common enough) - that's why I
    said "up to".

    Another thought for Baggy: Don't test tyres with a separate pressure gauge (one not on a pump). It
    will release some air each time you test! Thumbs are better.

    ~PB

  13. Sandy Morton

    Sandy Morton Guest

    In article <[email protected]>,
    Pete Biggs <pLime{remove_fruit}@biggs.tc> wrote:
    > If you want to pump less often, change inner tubes for thicker and wider ones if possible. They'll
    > hold the air better. Fat tyres with suitable tubes can hold sufficient air for several weeks
    > without pumping if you're not fussy about loosing a few PSI (so giving them a bit extra to start
    > with helps). Otherwise, they'll still need topping up: say, once every few days to once a week.

    I reckon to pump up 26 x 1.95 tubes about once in a season - I hired some bikes out yesterday which
    were last used in September and they were all OK.

    --
    A T (Sandy) Morton on the Bicycle Island In the Global Village http://www.sandymillport.fsnet.co.uk

  14. Pete Biggs

    Pete Biggs Guest

    Sandy Morton wrote:
    >> If you want to pump less often, change inner tubes for thicker and wider ones if possible.
    >> They'll hold the air better. Fat tyres with suitable tubes can hold sufficient air for several
    >> weeks without pumping if you're not fussy about loosing a few PSI (so giving them a bit extra
    >> to start with helps). Otherwise, they'll still need topping up: say, once every few days to
    >> once a week.
    >
    > I reckon to pump up 26 x 1.95 tubes about once in a season - I hired some bikes out yesterday
    > which were last used in September and they were all OK.

    Bloody hell! Perhaps I don't have enough experience of phaaaaat tyres then. Type of tube and how
    fussy one is about optimum pressure definitely makes a difference though, and I don't suppose you
    know how hard those tyres were in the first place - could have been rock hard.

    BTW, thanks Sandy for the heaset boot tip. I haven't tried it yet but will
    do.

    ~PB

  15. In article <[email protected]>, James Annan <still_the_same_m [email protected]> writes
    >The Big Baguette wrote:
    >> In article <[email protected]>, Pete Biggs
    >> <pLime{remove_fruit}@biggs.tc> writes
    >>

    >>>although no common butyl tube should loose much more than about 20psi per day.
    >>>

    >> No, it's a big fatty. Your comments make me think I've been concerned about nothing. Since recent
    >> advice here I've started inflating my tyres (Marathon Slicks) to 100 psi and the 'deflation' has
    >> amounted to no more than 10-15 psi over three days and up to 100 miles. This is normal, then?
    >
    >Well it sounds excessive to me, but perhaps not to Pete if he expects to lose up to 20psi per day.
    >I would say a typical figure is more like 20psi per month. I pump up my tyres about once every
    >month or two, if I remember.

    Which is how it is for me on the front one. So I do wonder whether there is a defect there
    somewhere.
    --
    The Big Baguette

  16. Just Zis Guy

    Just Zis Guy Guest

    On Sun, 09 Feb 2003 18:59:48 +0900, James Annan <[email protected]> wrote:

    >> No, it's a big fatty. Your comments make me think I've been concerned about nothing. Since recent
    >> advice here I've started inflating my tyres (Marathon Slicks) to 100 psi and the 'deflation' has
    >> amounted to no more than 10-15 psi over three days and up to 100 miles. This is normal, then?

    >Well it sounds excessive to me,[...] I pump up my tyres about once every month or two, if I
    >remember.

    I find the Schwalbe tubes on the 'bent need a topup once a week or so, losing maybe 10psi over 1
    week / 100 miles (I think time elapsed is the issue), but the Michelin tubes on the wedgie last
    somewhat longer and would only drop 5psi or so per week. Both have Presta valves. Schaeders seem to
    go down faster than you can pump them up if you're inflating to over 60psi :-(

    Guy
    ===
    dynamic DNS permitting)
    work. Apologies.

  17. Terry J

    Terry J Guest

    > Tested a tube with only a very few psi in it with an undone nut, and it does indeed go flat of
    > its own accord, but I've never noticed this happen when tyre is fully inflated.

    I have once or twice had to take out the valve core and clean the core and , with a paper clip and a
    cotton bud, the valve stem and seating itself to remove some of the cotton wooly stuff that forms
    the clots that stop the holes.A trace of this in the valve seating obviously causes a leak in
    proportion with the size of the offending lump of fluff. When dealing with slime tubes I try to let
    the slime drain away from the valve and keep it up at the top before doing anything that might let
    slime into it. If the tube is still in the wheel put the valve at 100 or 240 degrees so the slime
    runs away from the valve before letting air out *slowly* so as not to draw up slime which will try
    to plug the leak. I find that my slimed tyres seem to need inflating very infrequently, but perhaps
    that's because they are run at lower pressure and I'm not so fussy with them.

    TerryJ

  18. Pete Biggs

    Pete Biggs Guest

    The Big Baguette wrote:

    >> Well it sounds excessive to me, but perhaps not to Pete if he expects to lose up to 20psi per
    >> day. I would say a typical figure is more like 20psi per month. I pump up my tyres about once
    >> every month or two, if I remember.
    >>
    > Which is how it is for me on the front one. So I do wonder whether there is a defect there
    > somewhere.

    I would still expect it to loose a lot more than 15psi after three days if there was a defect (even
    minute punctures flatten a tyre in under 24 hours), but maybe I'm wrong, and if the front tyre and
    tube is identical to rears then it is odd.

    A thorough check of the inflated tube under water should reveal any problems (include a
    wiggle/tugging of the valve under water to test its base).

    ~PB

  19. In article <[email protected]>, Pete Biggs
    <pLime{remove_fruit}@biggs.tc> writes
    >The Big Baguette wrote:
    >>>
    >>> Well it sounds excessive to me, but perhaps not to Pete if he expects to lose up to 20psi per
    >>> day. I would say a typical figure is more like 20psi per month. I pump up my tyres about once
    >>> every month or two, if I remember.
    >>>
    >> Which is how it is for me on the front one. So I do wonder whether there is a defect there
    >> somewhere.
    >
    >I would still expect it to loose a lot more than 15psi after three days if there was a defect (even
    >minute punctures flatten a tyre in under 24 hours), but maybe I'm wrong, and if the front tyre and
    >tube is identical to rears then it is odd.
    >
    >A thorough check of the inflated tube under water should reveal any problems (include a
    >wiggle/tugging of the valve under water to test its base).

    I did that -- couldn't see any problem at all. I'll stick with the tube fro a while and see
    what happens.
    --
    The Big Baguette

  20. Sandy Morton

    Sandy Morton Guest

    In article <[email protected]>, "Just zis Guy, you know?"
    <[email protected]> wrote:
    > Both have Presta valves. Schaeders seem to go down faster than you can pump them up if you're
    > inflating to over 60psi :-(

    As a tip for those who don't know. Before you start to inflate your tubes dab the centre core of the
    valve so that any loose impediments which may be in the valve are blown clear - saves a lot of
    hassle afterwards.

    --
    A T (Sandy) Morton on the Bicycle Island In the Global Village http://www.sandymillport.fsnet.co.uk