Slime Tyre Liner

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Arthur Spurr, Jun 22, 2003.

  1. Arthur Spurr

    Arthur Spurr Guest

    Hi,

    Before anyone contradicts me, yes, there is such a product! It's a belt that you can stick inside
    the tyre that is supposed to reduce the number of punctures. Comes in different sizes to fit your
    wheels. (Not the green gunk that is supposed to fix flats from the inside by injecting through the
    valve, that sounds a daft idea to me!)

    I'm a cycle tourist, like to go off for a week at least, not a racer! Puctures in the rear are a
    real bind!

    Has anyone experience of these liner things? How easy are they to fit, to get the liner centred
    within the tyre etc.? Do they genuinely reduce punctures, and what effect have they on road handing
    etc.? Do they move within the wheel over time?

    Not cheap at circa £6.50 per liner!

    Should I just stick with Kevlar tyres?

    AS

    Tags:

  2. Ivor Cave

    Ivor Cave Guest

    Arthur Spurr wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > Before anyone contradicts me, yes, there is such a product! It's a belt that you can stick inside
    > the tyre that is supposed to reduce the number of punctures. Comes in different sizes to fit your
    > wheels. (Not the green gunk that is supposed to fix flats from the inside by injecting through the
    > valve, that sounds a daft idea to me!)
    >
    > I'm a cycle tourist, like to go off for a week at least, not a racer! Puctures in the rear are a
    > real bind!
    >
    > Has anyone experience of these liner things? How easy are they to fit, to get the liner centred
    > within the tyre etc.? Do they genuinely reduce punctures, and what effect have they on road
    > handing etc.? Do they move within the wheel over time?
    >
    > Not cheap at circa £6.50 per liner!
    >
    > Should I just stick with Kevlar tyres?
    >
    > AS

    Fit the pre slimed tubes and the slime liners and you shouldn't get many punctures at all. The strip
    is quite easy to fit if you lay the wheel down when fitting. Started using these after getting a
    puncture a day for a whole week then punctures went down to about one a month. They wont stop
    punctures but help a lot try pushing something through the belt its tough. Once they are fitted you
    wont notice any difference in the bike.

    Ivor Cave

  3. Orienteer

    Orienteer Guest

    "Ivor Cave" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Arthur Spurr wrote:
    > > Hi,
    > >
    > > Before anyone contradicts me, yes, there is such a product! It's a belt that you can stick
    > > inside the tyre that is supposed to reduce the number
    of
    > > punctures. Comes in different sizes to fit your wheels. (Not the green gunk that is supposed to
    > > fix flats from the inside by injecting through
    the
    > > valve, that sounds a daft idea to me!)
    > >
    > > I'm a cycle tourist, like to go off for a week at least, not a racer! Puctures in the rear are a
    > > real bind!
    > >
    > > Has anyone experience of these liner things? How easy are they to fit,
    > > get the liner centred within the tyre etc.? Do they genuinely reduce punctures, and what effect
    > > have they on road handing etc.? Do they move within the wheel over time?
    > >
    > > Not cheap at circa 6.50 per liner!
    > >
    > > Should I just stick with Kevlar tyres?
    > >
    > > AS

    I use liners (different make, Protec(?)), and find they reduce punctures considerably, but I still
    inspect the tyres closely, periodically to dig out the tiny flints, etc, which may eventually work
    their way through if left indefinitely. Actually, any punctures I've had since have been through the
    sidewalls.

    Have transferred the tape from old to new tyres without problems, don't bother trying to glue it in,
    never had any problems. Doesn't seem to affect rolling resistance.

  4. Ian

    Ian Guest

    Orienteer must be edykated coz e writed:

    > "Ivor Cave" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    >> Arthur Spurr wrote:
    >>> Hi,
    >>>

    >>> Should I just stick with Kevlar tyres?
    >>>
    >>> AS
    >
    > I use liners (different make, Protec(?)), and find they reduce punctures considerably, but I still
    > inspect the tyres closely, periodically to dig out the tiny flints, etc, which may eventually work
    > their way through if left indefinitely. Actually, any punctures I've had since have been through
    > the sidewalls.
    >
    > Have transferred the tape from old to new tyres without problems, don't bother trying to glue it
    > in, never had any problems. Doesn't seem to affect rolling resistance.

    I have yet to have a puncture in my Verdestein anti puncture tyres, but that is more likely good
    luck than anything.

    Ian

  5. Not Me

    Not Me Guest

    Arthur Spurr deftly scribbled:

    > Hi,
    >
    > Before anyone contradicts me, yes, there is such a product! It's a belt that you can stick inside
    > the tyre that is supposed to reduce the number of punctures. Comes in different sizes to fit your
    > wheels. (Not the green gunk that is supposed to fix flats from the inside by injecting through the
    > valve, that sounds a daft idea to me!)
    >
    > I'm a cycle tourist, like to go off for a week at least, not a racer! Puctures in the rear are a
    > real bind!
    >
    > Has anyone experience of these liner things? How easy are they to fit, to get the liner centred
    > within the tyre etc.? Do they genuinely reduce punctures, and what effect have they on road
    > handing etc.? Do they move within the wheel over time?
    >
    > Not cheap at circa £6.50 per liner!
    >
    > Should I just stick with Kevlar tyres?
    >
    > AS

    I've not used the slime liners, but have used a hard-formed plastic / kevlar liner in mountain bike
    tyres. I've also used pumped-in slime and slime pre-filled tubes at various times. I've never had
    any trouble fitting them or aligning them either, but I run 2.1 x 26 tyres, so they're quite wide
    and roomy to work with .. ;)

    I must say that after trying them I really don't use them anymore. With the hard type liner I used
    to get many more sidewall cuts than I ever had when I didn't use a liner. This *could* be
    coincidence ..

    With the pump in slime I only used it as a 'get me home' thing which worked admirably.

    With the slime tubes I didn't get any 'proper' punctures, but I found that after a month or two of
    riding the tyres would deflate slowly, but regularly, and when removed and examined they were
    basically useless. Many small punctures with slime oozing out. I wonder if the tubes are not as
    robust as 'normal' tubes and rely on the slime to do the work too much ...

    All in all I'd say stick with a kevlar tyre. I now rely on 'Leeches' and a pressurised gas canister
    and/or a small mini-pump to get me going again .. Far more reliable, though potentially
    time-consuming, than any of the 'additions' to tyres I've tried.

    --
    Digweed

  6. Sandy Morton

    Sandy Morton Guest

    In article <[email protected]>, Arthur Spurr <[email protected]> wrote:
    > Has anyone experience of these liner things? How easy are they to fit, to get the liner centred
    > within the tyre etc.? Do they genuinely reduce punctures, and what effect have they on road
    > handing etc.? Do they move within the wheel over time?

    I fitted some of these to 10 hire bikes about 3 years ago - I haven't had a puncture on any of them.
    They can be a bit difficult to fit.

    --
    A T (Sandy) Morton on the Bicycle Island In the Global Village http://www.sandymillport.fsnet.co.uk

  7. Garry Broad

    Garry Broad Guest

    >Hi,
    >
    >Before anyone contradicts me, yes, there is such a product! It's a belt that you can stick inside
    >the tyre that is supposed to reduce the number of punctures. Comes in different sizes to fit your
    >wheels. (Not the green gunk that is supposed to fix flats from the inside by injecting through the
    >valve, that sounds a daft idea to me!)
    >
    >I'm a cycle tourist, like to go off for a week at least, not a racer! Puctures in the rear are a
    >real bind!
    >
    >Has anyone experience of these liner things? How easy are they to fit, to get the liner centred
    >within the tyre etc.? Do they genuinely reduce punctures, and what effect have they on road handing
    >etc.? Do they move within the wheel over time?

    Easy to fit? Yes. They come in different sizes, depending on the width of your tyre. Sometimes, I've
    stuck one end to the tyre with a *spot* of super glue. I've also heard, and in fact experienced, the
    end of one of these tyre liners causing a puncture. You might want to 'feather' the end off with a
    razor blade. Reading google, you will find suggestions about heating the ends of the liner on a gas
    stove, or fag lighter, to melt the plastic and smooth the ends off. I'd really advise against this -
    it makes the material very brittle. Reduce punctures? I would yes yes. Reduce, not eradicate though.
    Road handling? Difficult to say, but when I removed both liners from my road bike, I did 'think' it
    ran a tad better without them in, so I tried just one and couldn't really tell the difference!. I
    use just one in the rear now.

    I've also read reports that these tyre liners can wear out the inside of the tyre, but I've not
    experienced this.

    Like all these things, give It a try, only way to find out.

    Talking of punctures, I had a strange one of Saturday. Front wheel goes flat. I have a repair kit,
    but no spare tube. Take off wheel, inspect tyre, attempt to find hole in tube. Nothing. Blow tyre up
    again, hear slight hissing near presta value. The valve screw had worked it's way loose, and I'd
    lost air that way. Tighten up nipple and it held. Bit more experience :)

    Garry

  8. "Arthur Spurr" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > Has anyone experience of these liner things?

    Yes, I think they're great, had no problems at all with them and they have _certainly_ saved me from
    having a good many punctures.

    >How easy are they to fit, to get the liner centred within the tyre etc.?

    Easy to put into the tyre, can be a bit tricky to get centred but not that hard, you just have to
    keep rotating the wheel and pushing it across if necessary as you feed in the tube and clip the tyre
    over the wheel. Once it's in though, you probably won't have to do it again until the tyre is worn
    out, and if you do then once the liner has settled in an inflated tyre I find it tends to stay in
    position if you do take the tube out.

    >Do they genuinely reduce punctures,

    absolutely

    >and what effect have they on road handing etc.? Do they move within the wheel over time?

    None that I've noticed, and no

    > Not cheap at circa £6.50 per liner!

    Not expensive, they'll last longer than your tyres and probably save you going through a few tubes,
    if you ride in an area where punctures are a common event.

    > Should I just stick with Kevlar tyres?

    They'll stop more going through than a kevlar tyre will, but you can do both if you want...

    Rich

  9. Tim

    Tim Guest

    On Mon, 23 Jun 2003 00:26:14 +0100, "Arthur Spurr" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Not cheap at circa £6.50 per liner!

    Halfords sell them for £5.59 each.

    Tim