slime

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by Cam Nospam, Feb 23, 2003.

  1. Cam Nospam

    Cam Nospam Guest

    Hi There,

    anyone had any experience with 'slime' self sealing inner tubes?

    I was tempted to pick one up (at twice the cost of a standard tube) but wanted to know what people
    thought of them first.

    Cheers

    Tags:

  2. Richfax

    Richfax Guest

    I've used them and they work on small punctures like thorn pricks. They don't work if you get a
    pinch flat. The drawback is that they do cost more and weigh a whole lot more. The last place you
    want added weight is in the wheels.

    If you care less about weight, consider using a tire liner which is a semi rigid piece of
    rubber/plastic which will definitely stop all punctures. It costs less than slime tubes and
    lasts forever.

    cam nospam <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Hi There,
    >
    > anyone had any experience with 'slime' self sealing inner tubes?
    >
    > I was tempted to pick one up (at twice the cost of a standard tube) but wanted to know what people
    > thought of them first.
    >
    > Cheers

  3. Cam Nospam

    Cam Nospam Guest

    thanks for that.

    I'll give them a miss.

    richfax wrote:
    > I've used them and they work on small punctures like thorn pricks. They don't work if you get a
    > pinch flat. The drawback is that they do cost more and weigh a whole lot more. The last place you
    > want added weight is in the wheels.
    >
    > If you care less about weight, consider using a tire liner which is a semi rigid piece of
    > rubber/plastic which will definitely stop all punctures. It costs less than slime tubes and lasts
    > forever.
    >

    > cam nospam <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    >
    >>Hi There,
    >>
    >>anyone had any experience with 'slime' self sealing inner tubes?
    >>
    >>I was tempted to pick one up (at twice the cost of a standard tube) but wanted to know what people
    >>thought of them first.
    >>
    >>Cheers

  4. Mr. E. Mann

    Mr. E. Mann Guest

    cam nospam <[email protected]> wrote in news:[email protected]:

    > Hi There,
    >
    > anyone had any experience with 'slime' self sealing inner tubes?
    >
    > I was tempted to pick one up (at twice the cost of a standard tube) but wanted to know what people
    > thought of them first.
    >
    > Cheers

    I used some and they were a real pain. If you're not careful ou can ill the valve stem up with the
    goop and make your tires dearly impossible to inflate. Also, they don't stop leaks completely, they
    just slow it down. After hitting some glass I had to put air in my tires nearly every day. I finally
    tossed them.

  5. crazy6r54

    crazy6r54 Guest

    I've used them but I've used some thing even better and about 4 bucks. Its tire repair. It comes in
    a can about the same size as an inflater. Its under the name Bell products. I used it on Monday of
    last week and the tire is still hard and it was rode 4 time to work last week.

    Fire up MTB 03

  6. In some venues in western states, slime is a must to deal with thorn punctures. Your wiser riding
    buddies will hate you (or leave you) if you don't have it.

    It's not all that expensive if you buy it in a bottle and squeeze it into the tubes yourself. It
    goes in easy in Schraeder valves, but presta is difficult, unless you use Continental tubes, which
    have a removable presta valve core.

    It's a myth that you can't patch a slimed tube after you've removed a thorn. Just lay the tube down
    with the hole at the very top for the slime to drain down, clean the exterior of the tube with
    solvent, and patch as usual with regular patches, not the temporary glueless patches.

    If you're going to the trouble of messing with the stuff, get the original brand name "Slime", not
    one of the imitations which doesn't work as well.

    dmy

    --
    Don Youngdahl

  7. Michael Dart

    Michael Dart Guest

    "Don Youngdahl" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:D[email protected]...

    > In some venues in western states, slime is a must to deal with thorn punctures. Your wiser riding
    > buddies will hate you (or leave you) if you don't have it.

    The bike shops I visited in Phoenix all had industrial sized drums of the stuff rigged up to
    pneumatic delivery systems. All the bikes were drilled for Schrader valves too. Out there it's
    Slime or walk.

    Mike