Slipping Campy Ergo 9spd shifters

mick over there

Sep 1, 2010
Hello, all. My rear shifter seems to shift fine on the smaller cogs but when it gets to the largest one, the derailleur's spring tension overwhelms the shifter's ability to hold it in place. It "clicks" and moves it to the largest cog but jumps right back down to the next smaller cog when I release the shift lever. I had taken it apart, cleaned and greased everything and the slipping just got worse, really. Before it would slip only if I tugged back on the derailleur cable some, but it always held its position by itself.

Maybe too much grease? If so, what should only get the grease?

All the parts looked intact when I took it apart. I've ordered some new index springs for the next disassembly in case they just had gotten weak (if that is even likely).

Thanks in advance for any input.

mick over there said:
Hello, all. My rear shifter seems to shift fine on the smaller cogs but when it gets to the largest one, the derailleur's spring tension overwhelms the shifter's ability to hold it in place. It "clicks" and moves it to the largest cog but jumps right back down to the next smaller cog when I release the shift lever. I had taken it apart, cleaned and greased everything and the slipping just got worse, really. Before it would slip only if I tugged back on the derailleur cable some, but it always held its position by itself.

Maybe too much grease? If so, what should only get the grease?

All the parts looked intact when I took it apart. I've ordered some new index springs for the next disassembly in case they just had gotten weak (if that is even likely).

Thanks in advance for any input.

My guess is the spring carrier is split...take it apart, pull a wee bit on the spring carrier, EC-RE-111...get a new fiber one(I sell em-$15) and not have the problem again. Replace the springs at the same time. One may be about to fail..$5 per spring.