Slipping Carbon Seat Post

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Steve Covington, Jan 4, 2004.

1. Steve Covington

Steve Covington New Member

Any ideas to prevent a carbon seat post that is slipping. As we all know, you just can't crank down the seat post clamp, can damage the post.

My thought is I need some type of non-perm adhesive to coat the post. It seems to me the slippage is induced by a very slick post inside a very slick alum frame. Not that it probably matters, but the post is ITM and frame Colnago. Any solutions?

Tags:

2. boudreaux

boudreaux New Member

hairspray

3. Steve Covington

Steve Covington New Member

That sounds like a great idea. Any particular type...like I know anything about hairspray!

4. shokhead1

shokhead1 New Member

Really clean any grease out,any.

5. Bititanio

Bititanio New Member

Be sure to clean the post exterior, the frame and clamp interior with something like running alcohol until ALL grease, dirt, etc. is gone. Then you shouldn't have any slippage. I have a Bititanio, a Dream, and a C-50, plus look after a bunch of teammates bikes.

If all else fails, you can try coating the seatpost with some hairspray -- any will do, cheaper the better. Do a couple of light coats, letting it dry well.

6. drewski

drewski New Member

if the part of the post that is within the seatube is a shiny clear-coat, it could help to *lightly* sand that portion with some fine grit sand-paper to make it a matte finish.

7. Bititanio

Bititanio New Member

Instead of sandpaper, you might be safer to use one of those "scotchbrite" nylon pads, used for roughing up finish between coats -- tougher to do any damage !!!!

8. daveornee

daveornee New Member

I agree with the cleaning process.
    I would use Noalox to coat the inside of your aluminum frame's seat tube.
    I use the stuff on aluminum wire and telescoping aluminum tubing (like an aluminum seat post in an aluminum frame).
    If you don't coat the inside of the aluminum tubing where it interfaces the seat post, you will experience some oxidation there. Since electrical properties aren't of interest and you won't likely ever have sufficient aluminum oxide growth to make your cabon post freeze to the aluminum, you may never need it. However, it may fill some molecular level voids and help mitigate water from flowing down the seat post and into the frame via the seat tube. You can also ream the inside of the seat tube as many shops do in preparing a bicycle.
    Yes, Noalox stuff is "nasty" like anti-sieze compounds, so you will want to keep it only inside the seat tube where it can do some good.
    Take a look at the product on the manufacturer's web site:
    http://www.idealindustries.com/IDEAL-EZ/prodcat.nsf/Tables/Noalox?OpenDocument&Click=