Slipping chain on new bike?

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

Stephen \

My new bike's chain was slipping a lot this morning (first ride). Had a quick look round and it
seems I should be tightening the thing on the rear gear mech cable. Does this sound OK?

I have too much work on to get out and get this seen to right now so it looks like I'm going to have
to sort it myself. Any help appreciated to get me home.

Thanks.

Stephen (aka steford) wrote:
> My new bike's chain was slipping a lot this morning (first ride).

What do you mean exactly by slipping?

> Had a quick look round and it seems I should be tightening the thing on the rear gear mech cable.
> Does this sound OK?

That (or adjuster torwards lever end of cable) will help if the indexing is wrong. In other words,
if chain is not changing gear properly or jumping to next gear for a moment. If won't help if chain
stays in gear properly but skips over sprocket teeth.

> I have too much work on to get out and get this seen to right now so it looks like I'm going to
> have to sort it myself. Any help appreciated to get me home.

If you can't fix it first, just ride with smooth gentle pedal pressure and freewheel down the hills!
Not too much harm will be done in one ride if you're lucky.

~PB

I wrote:
> That (or adjuster torwards lever end of cable) will help if the indexing is wrong. In other words,
> if chain is not changing gear properly or jumping to next gear for a moment.

If that is the case, turning clockwise will make chain shift more towards the next smaller sprocket,
anticlockwise for larger. Try a quarter of a turn at a time. Cable needs to be reasonably taut when
in top gear so don't screw in toooo far.

> If won't help if chain stays in gear properly but skips over sprocket teeth.

~PB

"Stephen \(aka steford\)" <[email protected]> wrote:
: My new bike's chain was slipping a lot this morning (first ride). Had a quick look round and it
: seems I should be tightening the thing on the rear gear mech cable. Does this sound OK?

Turn it anti-clockwise to tighten. Start with 1/4 of a turn. Repeat.

Arthur

--
Arthur Clune http://www.clune.org "Technolibertarians make a philosophy out of a personality defect"
- Paulina Borsook

Arthur Clune wrote:
> "Stephen \(aka steford\)" <[email protected]> wrote:
>> My new bike's chain was slipping a lot this morning (first ride). Had a quick look round and it
>> seems I should be tightening the thing on the rear gear mech cable. Does this sound OK?
>
>
> Turn it anti-clockwise to tighten. Start with 1/4 of a turn. Repeat.
>
Thanks guys. Turned them all manner of times/amounts to no avail. Still slipping. I think it's
round the rear sprocket teeth but can't be sure. It seems to happen every so many turns of the
pedals when not going uphill or exerting too much pressure. Very annoying. Will take it in tomorrow
- unfortunately mail order so can't return it just for this. I'm sure it's nothing major it just
needs fixing.

"Stephen \(aka steford\)" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...

> Thanks guys. Turned them all manner of times/amounts to no avail. Still slipping. I think it's
> round the rear sprocket teeth but can't be sure. It seems to happen every so many turns of the
> pedals when not going uphill or exerting too much pressure.

Stiff link?

Check while off the bike, pedalling backwards slowly. A stiff link will be obvious as it passes
though the derailleur. Give it a good wiggle around (or better still, loosen it a touch with a
chain tool).

James

James Annan wrote:
> "Stephen \(aka steford\)" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]
> berlin.de>...
>
>> Thanks guys. Turned them all manner of times/amounts to no avail. Still slipping. I think it's
>> round the rear sprocket teeth but can't be sure. It seems to happen every so many turns of the
>> pedals when not going uphill or exerting too much pressure.
>
> Stiff link?
>
> Check while off the bike, pedalling backwards slowly. A stiff link will be obvious as it passes
> though the derailleur. Give it a good wiggle around (or better still, loosen it a touch with a
> chain tool).
>
Bingo! Although I didn't know it. Just took it to Evans who spotted it immediately. £12.50 to fix.
Time to invest in a chain tool and a maintenance book I think (have Haynes but there was no mention
of this). Thanks a lot.

On Thu, 15 Jan 2004 10:50:39 -0000, "Stephen \(aka steford\)"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>Bingo! Although I didn't know it. Just took it to Evans who spotted it immediately. £12.50 to fix.

<fx: spits out tea>

Blimey. And other such utterances.

>Time to invest in a chain tool and a maintenance book I think (have Haynes but there was no mention
>of this). Thanks a lot.
>
Sheldon probably has something to say on it too.

Tim
--
Blue Witch laughed at me

Tim Hall wrote:
> On Thu, 15 Jan 2004 10:50:39 -0000, "Stephen \(aka steford\)"
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>
>> Bingo! Although I didn't know it. Just took it to Evans who spotted it immediately. £12.50
>> to fix.
>
> <fx: spits out tea>
>
> Blimey. And other such utterances.
>
>
>> Time to invest in a chain tool and a maintenance book I think (have Haynes but there was no
>> mention of this). Thanks a lot.
>>
> Sheldon probably has something to say on it too.
>
>
>
I think £12.50 is pretty good. OK if I knew what I was doing then it isn't. And I was at work anyway
with no tools etc. I've paid more for less before ...

In article <[email protected]>, Stephen
\(aka steford\) <[email protected]> wrote:
> I think £12.50 is pretty good. OK if I knew what I was doing then it isn't. And I was at work
> anyway with no tools etc. I've paid more for less before ...

I would probably do a job like that free and trust the customer to remember me in future.

--
A T (Sandy) Morton on the Bicycle Island In the Global Village http://www.sandymillport.fsnet.co.uk

Sandy Morton wrote:
>
> I would probably do a job like that free and trust the customer to remember me in future.

...as that guy that fixes my bike for free ;-)

Tony

Sandy Morton wrote:
> In article <[email protected]>, Stephen \(aka steford\)
>> I think £12.50 is pretty good. OK if I knew what I was doing then it isn't. And I was at work
>> anyway with no tools etc. I've paid more for less before ...
>
> I would probably do a job like that free and trust the customer to remember me in future.

Evans are a bit more corporate than that unfortunately.

Sandy Morton <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> In article <[email protected]>, Stephen \(aka steford\)
> > I think £12.50 is pretty good. OK if I knew what I was doing then it isn't. And I was at work
> > anyway with no tools etc. I've paid more for less before ...
>

Hmmm... Stiff chain link? Grip, grip. Flex, flex, flex. Wiggle, wiggle. Twelve fifty please, guv.
Ching, ching. Slam.

Mind you, I shouldn't knock it. Maybe that's how they can afford to sponsor our club.

--
Dave...

Dave Kahn wrote:
> Sandy Morton <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:<[email protected]>...
>> In article <[email protected]>, Stephen \(aka steford\)
>> <[email protected]> wrote:
>>> I think £12.50 is pretty good. OK if I knew what I was doing then it isn't. And I was at work
>>> anyway with no tools etc. I've paid more for less before ...
>>
>> I would probably do a job like that free and trust the customer to remember me in future.
>
> Hmmm... Stiff chain link? Grip, grip. Flex, flex, flex. Wiggle, wiggle. Twelve fifty please, guv.
> Ching, ching. Slam.
>
> Mind you, I shouldn't knock it. Maybe that's how they can afford to sponsor our club.

Had a quick look at the gears too I'd messed with. £12.50 when you're in a hurry and don't know what
you're doing isn't bad - in London too.

£12.50 is a shocking price to pay for lossening a stiff link. My lbs (de Ver Cycles in Norbury when I am in London and Bicycle Doctors in Rusholme when i am in Manchester) would do that for free as it takes about a second! Evans are generally very good though, but both of the shops aforementioned are better, though not necessarily cheaper for major jobs.

Status
Not open for further replies.