Slipping RANS seats (Taboo Topic #2)

Discussion in 'Recumbent bicycles' started by Drrecumbnt, Jun 7, 2003.

  1. Drrecumbnt

    Drrecumbnt Guest

    A friend of mine rides a 2001 V-Rex. His seat recently started to slip a bit. Has anybody catalogued
    viable solutions for this? Thanks in advance Bob Bryant http://www.recumbentcyclistnews.com

    Tags:

  2. Dan Schaper

    Dan Schaper Guest

    The fix I chose from the archives is a radiator hose clamp on the main tube behind the seat clamp
    with a piece of 1/2" clear hose split down the side to wrap around the clamp to keep it away from
    the paint.

    DrRecumbnt wrote:
    > A friend of mine rides a 2001 V-Rex. His seat recently started to slip a bit. Has anybody
    > catalogued viable solutions for this? Thanks in advance Bob Bryant
    > http://www.recumbentcyclistnews.com

  3. Bentbiker

    Bentbiker Guest

    the absolute easiest, works EVERY time fix, take a small thin rubber shim, put it between the seat
    base and top rail, and tighten the skewer normally [modestly tight] i've used this on at LEAST 12
    rans swb bikes with out fail. the orange rubber with small ribs in it that RANS sends with all there
    bikes as packing material is ideal

    DrRecumbnt wrote:
    > A friend of mine rides a 2001 V-Rex. His seat recently started to slip a bit. Has anybody
    > catalogued viable solutions for this? Thanks in advance Bob Bryant
    > http://www.recumbentcyclistnews.com

  4. Bob, I think RANS will send you a set of shims. I used one on my V2 but didn't need them on my
    V-REX. One shim works in some applications and two in others. Its a trial and error thing. Its part
    of the reason for the glideloc now on their pricier bikes. IME its not a problem with all the old
    style seat slide still in use on the Rocket, Tailwind and Vivo...just some. On my V-REX now departed
    once I found the spot I wanted my seat I replaced the QR with a SS bolt and nylock. It never moved
    again. Not a cure for those that are removing their seat fot transport...for those the SS hoseclamp
    and clear plastic hose trick mentioned in a previous post works good.
    Inc 1-800-586-6645 "dan schaper" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > The fix I chose from the archives is a radiator hose clamp on the main tube behind the seat clamp
    > with a piece of 1/2" clear hose split down the side to wrap around the clamp to keep it away from
    > the paint.
    >
    > DrRecumbnt wrote:
    > > A friend of mine rides a 2001 V-Rex. His seat recently started to slip a
    bit.
    > > Has anybody catalogued viable solutions for this? Thanks in advance Bob Bryant
    > > http://www.recumbentcyclistnews.com

  5. Seth Jayson

    Seth Jayson Guest

    I wish I'd thought to try this.

    I've got a hose clamp in a pice of inner tube behind my seat, and it still moves sometimes.

    Before this, I was trying to clamp the skewer tighter and tighter, and I actually ended up squishing
    the tube on my bike. Don't make that mistake.

    Sj

  6. That is funny you brought this up. I tightened the skewer by hand pressure only and the fat tube
    squished! The pressure I used wasn't unreasonable by any means.

    Now the question is: Is the frame now unsafe? Does the "ovalized" area make the tube weaker? I am
    already pissed at Rans and think their Taiwan frames suck. Now I am convinced. I had a Rocket when
    they were made in Kansas and I did not flatten the tube with hand pressure.

    The first two VIVO's I received had small BB sized dents in them. Now the tube gives way under hand
    pressure tightening of the seat!

    Any ideas on the frame safety? Anyone from the Church care to comment? Hmmm???

  7. by the way, I had a hose clamp in place too. I hand tightened the skewer and got the bent tube.
    Wonder if Rans frame warranty covers this?

  8. Drill

    Drill Guest

    Hi Bob

    Tried it all but a bolt through the frame solved all my problems easy removal locked in setting

    Kirt "DrRecumbnt" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > A friend of mine rides a 2001 V-Rex. His seat recently started to slip a
    bit.
    > Has anybody catalogued viable solutions for this? Thanks in advance Bob Bryant
    > http://www.recumbentcyclistnews.com

  9. Butch

    Butch Guest

    "Drill" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > Hi Bob
    >
    > Tried it all but a bolt through the frame solved all my problems easy removal locked in setting
    >
    > Kirt "DrRecumbnt" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > A friend of mine rides a 2001 V-Rex. His seat recently started to slip a
    > bit.
    > > Has anybody catalogued viable solutions for this? Thanks in advance Bob Bryant
    > > http://www.recumbentcyclistnews.com

    Hi Bob, The seat on my 2000 Rans V2 also slipped. I set the seat where I wanted it then placed a
    small piece of aluminum behind the bracket on one side. I held the metal in place using two small
    sheet metal screws placed so that they are above the frame in the u shaped seat support. This works
    fine and allows the seat to move forward normally but stops at my postition when slid back. The new
    bracket RANS now uses looks nice but it is expensive, what is worst Rans wants way to much for
    shipping and handling. Happy Trails Butch

  10. I had a hard time stopping laughing long enough to write a resonse to this one. To see the first
    reply to your post: "use a hose clamp" that's a great one!!!!! Seems the Rotator solution wasn't
    so far off after all. Doesn't slip and it's light too. Hard to argue with good results. Steve
    "Speedy" Delaire

    DrRecumbnt wrote:

    > A friend of mine rides a 2001 V-Rex. His seat recently started to slip a bit. Has anybody
    > catalogued viable solutions for this? Thanks in advance Bob Bryant
    > http://www.recumbentcyclistnews.com

  11. John W

    John W Guest

    Call RANS and tell them your seat is slipping. They will send you an aluminum shim that fits in the
    seat channel and corrects the problem.

    John