Slipping seatpost, how to stop ?

In article <[email protected]>, klydesdale001 @comcast.net says...

> "ClydesdaleMTB" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> >

> > http://www.surlybikes.com/parts/constrictor.htm
> >
> > http://www.lhthomson.com/seatpost.asp
> >

> Not a cure-all in my experience. In fact, quite the opposite. A Thomson seatpost that was to
> the low side of their design and manufacturing tolerances worsened the slipping woes I had on
> two different steel frames. I also suspect it, coupled along with the beefier clamp I tried in
> an effort to keep it from slipping, contributed to one of those frames cracking at the clamp
> relief cutout.

You can but 0.1mm maulable shims now that will do the trick. I know the seat tube on my Enduro could
probably accept a 31mm seatpost now from all the wear on the walls of the tube. When sand gets in
that space it sounds like the frame is cracked. I put a camp on the post itself to prevent slippage.
Takes the load off the QR which I was breaking frequently by overtightening.
--