Slipping Suntour Sprint Shifters

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Gary Jacobson, Mar 30, 2003.

  1. I've made bar end shifters using an old pair of Suntour Sprint shift levers and a Shimano bar end
    assembly. This is a standard set up that some people who like simple bar ends use.

    I am getting the dreaded "auto shift" both front and rear. I've lubed the BB cable guide, but
    unfortunately there is no way to use a plastic sleeve over the deraillure cable to decrease friction
    on the rear as there is just a single guide/eyelet. I'm not so sure that is the problem, as other
    bar ends I've used (old Suntour Barcons) have not been trouble.

    I wonder if I might be missing a shim that would go between the Suntour Sprint lever (containing a
    sealed assembly) and the standard washer that is placed next to the square keyed index washer which
    fits over the boss.

    Anyone know how the Sprint is attached to a shifter boss? If I'm missing a shim, what thickness?

    Could there be other sources causing this trouble besides cable friction under the BB and what I
    have described?

    Thanks so much.

    Gary Jacobson Rosendale, NY

    Tags:

  2. A Muzi

    A Muzi Guest

    "Gary Jacobson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > I've made bar end shifters using an old pair of Suntour Sprint shift
    levers
    > and a Shimano bar end assembly. This is a standard set up that some people who like simple bar
    > ends use.
    >
    > I am getting the dreaded "auto shift" both front and rear. I've lubed the
    BB
    > cable guide, but unfortunately there is no way to use a plastic sleeve
    over
    > the deraillure cable to decrease friction on the rear as there is just a single guide/eyelet. I'm
    > not so sure that is the problem, as other bar
    ends
    > I've used (old Suntour Barcons) have not been trouble.
    >
    > I wonder if I might be missing a shim that would go between the Suntour Sprint lever (containing a
    > sealed assembly) and the standard washer that
    is
    > placed next to the square keyed index washer which fits over the boss.
    >
    > Anyone know how the Sprint is attached to a shifter boss? If I'm missing a shim, what thickness?
    >
    > Could there be other sources causing this trouble besides cable friction under the BB and what I
    > have described?

    Counterintuitively, coating all the internal washers of a classic friction lever with a drop of oil
    lets them shift smoothly and avoid slipping. There should be a square-hole flat washer on the boss,
    then a round 2mm tall washer under the lever, just as in the classsic Campagnolo model from which
    the Sprint is copied. You do know that the wire-bale screw can be tightened while riding, right?