Slipping Suntour Sprint Shifters

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Gary Jacobson, Mar 30, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I've made bar end shifters using an old pair of Suntour Sprint shift levers and a Shimano bar end
    assembly. This is a standard set up that some people who like simple bar ends use.

I am getting the dreaded "auto shift" both front and rear. I've lubed the BB cable guide, but
    unfortunately there is no way to use a plastic sleeve over the deraillure cable to decrease friction
    on the rear as there is just a single guide/eyelet. I'm not so sure that is the problem, as other
    bar ends I've used (old Suntour Barcons) have not been trouble.

I wonder if I might be missing a shim that would go between the Suntour Sprint lever (containing a
    sealed assembly) and the standard washer that is placed next to the square keyed index washer which
    fits over the boss.

Anyone know how the Sprint is attached to a shifter boss? If I'm missing a shim, what thickness?

Could there be other sources causing this trouble besides cable friction under the BB and what I
    have described?

Thanks so much.

Gary Jacobson Rosendale, NY

Tags:

2. A Muzi

A Muzi Guest

"Gary Jacobson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > I've made bar end shifters using an old pair of Suntour Sprint shift
    levers
    > and a Shimano bar end assembly. This is a standard set up that some people who like simple bar
    > ends use.
    >
    > I am getting the dreaded "auto shift" both front and rear. I've lubed the
    BB
    > cable guide, but unfortunately there is no way to use a plastic sleeve
    over
    > the deraillure cable to decrease friction on the rear as there is just a single guide/eyelet. I'm
    > not so sure that is the problem, as other bar
    ends
    > I've used (old Suntour Barcons) have not been trouble.
    >
    > I wonder if I might be missing a shim that would go between the Suntour Sprint lever (containing a
    > sealed assembly) and the standard washer that
    is
    > placed next to the square keyed index washer which fits over the boss.
    >
    > Anyone know how the Sprint is attached to a shifter boss? If I'm missing a shim, what thickness?
    >
    > Could there be other sources causing this trouble besides cable friction under the BB and what I
    > have described?

Counterintuitively, coating all the internal washers of a classic friction lever with a drop of oil
    lets them shift smoothly and avoid slipping. There should be a square-hole flat washer on the boss,
    then a round 2mm tall washer under the lever, just as in the classsic Campagnolo model from which
    the Sprint is copied. You do know that the wire-bale screw can be tightened while riding, right?

--
    Andrew Muzi http://www.yellowjersey.org Open every day since 1 April 1971

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.