Slipstream need a proper title sponsor.

plectrum

Jul 26, 2007
It is ridiculous that a team is winning the opening race of a GC and they don't have a commercial title sponsor. Sone may argue that chipotle is the sponsor but this is clearly not the case as the team is often refered to as Team - Slipstream ... or Team Slipstream - Chipotle but never ever Team Chipotle.

There is no way it can be good for cyclign to go into le Tour, a race where the plan for Slipstream is to take the yellow by day 3 and keep it til ~ day 10, and for the team not to have a commercial sponsor.

Cycling at this level thrives on the money inputted by commercial sponsorship and it is about time Slipstream sort out their priorities and get a sponsor.

btw High Rd is a whole diff. kettle of fish so don't even go there!

It isn't desirable... but it isn't rediculous IMO. The costs of sponsoring a team haven't gone down that much... but the benefits for sponsors have gone down considerably. Whilst Slipstream have a nice clean image, the risks are even greater to a sponsor if one of their riders tests positive. How much control does a sponsor have over their riders being clean? In the end... None.

Add in the **** between UCI and ASO etc. and the fact that one isn't even assured of being invited to major events, and it aint getting better.

Maybe Dave Z's suggestion for a title sponsor (in his latest blog entry) will someday come to be:
I wish Marvel would realized that they have more than enough money to sponsor a bike team and step up as our title sponsor. Everyone could be a different character with custom clothing and bikes.
:rolleyes:

Quite frankly, I doubt that I would pony up the money to sponsor a pro tour team if I were searching for a way to spend my corporate sposorship funds...

Its always surprised me there aren't more people like Stapleton (or I hate to say it, Michael Ball) out there who are cycling fans, mega-rich, and want to own a cycling team just for the fun of it. It's a hell of a lot cheaper than getting into any other pro sport. Think of all the billionaires in the U.S. who could fully fund the team.

kennf said:
Its always surprised me there aren't more people like Stapleton (or I hate to say it, Michael Ball) out there who are cycling fans, mega-rich, and want to own a cycling team just for the fun of it. It's a hell of a lot cheaper than getting into any other pro sport. Think of all the billionaires in the U.S. who could fully fund the team.

Most of the billionaires didn't become or stay billionaires because they invested and spent recklessly. Cycling fan or not, there has to be a return/benefit to their vested interest, especially when millions of dollars are involved for a tier 1 pro cycling team. Operating/sponsoring a pro cycling team may be cheaper than some of the other big pro sports/leagues but the return (ie $$$$) from those sports and venues are also likely much greater than from cycling.