Slipstream

Discussion in 'Professional Cycling' started by thunder, Feb 13, 2008.

1. earth_dweller

earth_dweller New Member

I think Tommy D's head will play games with him everytime he comes close to winning or being a leader. He just can't take the pressure.

And WTF he still doesn't know how to position himself in the peloton? wasn't he paying attention all those years, he's no spring chicken.

So not on the Tommy D bandwagon but would be happy to be proven wrong.

Got to agree about Pate, he's got a huge motor just like the energizer bunny he can keep on going and....

2. slovakguy

slovakguy Active Member

against the grain on this one. can't see a top ten for anyone on the squad, even if they catch a basketful of breaks

3. helmutRoole2

helmutRoole2 New Member

I don't see a top-10 GC there. Danielson maybe? I'd like to see him focus on the climber's jersey. Not so much pressure competing for points.

But SS has a good chance of winning a stage, possibly the prologue, and they have the horses to protect the jersey in the flats.

4. thoughtforfood

thoughtforfood New Member

when you count out Astana and possibly another team who would have riders placing that high, I think we are really counting whether they could place someone top 15 if all the teams are there, and yes, I think Tommy D has the potential for that. (being the top 10 without Astana, <team to be named later>

5. Casa

Casa New Member

It will be interesting to see how they do this season as they do have some serious talent. The question I have is, is it too spread around to truly focus on a certain objective in a race?

6. slovakguy

slovakguy Active Member

don't let me get off on the wrong foot, but i can't see a team this "new" coming together that quickly. even though i was unclear and did mean the g.c., but, even so, to vie for one of the other jerseys? just don't think they will amass the team smarts with a wham-bam-thank-you-aso euro schedule. maybe if vaughters decides to keep pushing the same line-ups in seleceted races....

7. thoughtforfood

thoughtforfood New Member

Very true. I was wish/hoping for a stage or jersey. Maybe a long break on the right day with some cat 2's or something propelling a rider to push for the red spots or a stage win or something. Really, just a hope that circumstances could put them in it.

8. slovakguy

slovakguy Active Member

very much in agreement. i'd also like to see this team do well, but, well, mainly because i'd like the victories for a little distana nose rubbing...

9. TheDarkLord

TheDarkLord New Member

If they do manage some stage wins, it might go to prove the concept of clean racing, which in turn may attract more funding for the team. If that happens, then they can hire better riders in future, and have a better chance for next year.

10. slovakguy

slovakguy Active Member

fair summation of what i'm thinking. should they garner some success with this new model where the team & manager are responsible to a high degree for their riders' actions, i'm hoping it will begin to chip at the must dope to succeed model in use. just hoping vaughters isn't tempted to dump some of his charges just to pick up a name but keeps the team intact and grooms a rider from within to go forward.

11. Bro Deal

Bro Deal New Member

It is too bad they won't be at the Dauphine. I think that is the sort of race where they could do very well. I could see Tommy D. winning that. The same goes for Switzerland.

It will be interesting to see what their strategy is for doing both the Tour and the Giro. Their top riders will be spread pretty thin.

12. thunder

thunder New Member

they are not racing much betweenthe Giro and the Tour.

6 riders at the Giro will ride the Tour.

They are keeping the gunpowder dry.

13. slovakguy

slovakguy Active Member

just a total guess, but i would think vaughters should use the giro to get his team used to his race tactics and get the stars out of his younger riders' eyes. but i'm still of the opinion that this year should be used to establish some solid credentials with the euro community before vaughters takes the leash of his better riders. given that they are truly a wild card, i expect to see a team meltdown.

14. thunder

thunder New Member

he has 26 riders, only riding 2 GTs, and not riding much between the Giro and the Tour.

Most riders ride an average of 60 days per season, I think Slipstream will be riding considerably less. Does he want his squad to come to the races to win, versus training miles. Riders cannot race all 60 days per year, they will just build form in many.

I wonder if he is using the training to back off intensity, and then bring it to a boil, then race to win. Allow more recovery.

It is a big squad, when their budget is paid out of Ellis' wallet. There must be some strategy.

15. Crankyfeet

Crankyfeet New Member

Maybe it's to perform badly and look like dopeless angels... getting whipped by cheaters. You'd have to think that any success they have is only going to make people suspicious that they are hypocrites.

However if they keep getting dropped from the peloton... they are going to look like heroes... and receive a lot of publicity. Like the guy who used to win the jersey for coming last in the TdF.

16. helmutRoole2

helmutRoole2 New Member

I don't know about this. I don't think they have the horses to really effect the race. I think most people know this. Their best rider would be Millar, and he's only a stage threat in the TTs, outside chance for a road stage under the perfect circumstances. I don't Tommy D (bless his heart), can win a stage in the Tour. I hope I'm wrong.

I think if they do well it could be regarded as an indication that the peloton is clean... although, we know that's not true, it's just not as dirty as it used to be.

I think the days of miraculous recoveries and Landis-like stage wins are over. I think, even a doped rider will be smart enough not to take back too much on one stage.

I think SS has crafted a very nice PR campaign, but that said, they'll still have be careful not to dope so much.

17. thunder

thunder New Member

I think Millar is a far better ride than DZ.

I think Millar can win any race outside the GTs.

I think he can win Suisse and Dauphine.

I think he can win classics. I dont think he can win a GT.

18. helmutRoole2

helmutRoole2 New Member

Really? He hasn't shown it. I think he had a good Dauphine once, but not even sterling performances in Paris-Nice or any of the cold classics. There are certain aspects to him that make you think he can, but aside from TTs, he hasn't shown well.

19. Bro Deal

Bro Deal New Member

Millar cannot climb well enough to win the Dauphine or Switzerland. He might be able to put in a decentenough of a performance to win Paris-Nice but even that might be too much of a stretch.

Which classics can he win?

I think Tommy D has hardened the fuck up after dealing with Bruyneel and Disco last year. He will top ten in either the Giro or the Tour. He has already placed seventh and sixth in the Vuelta plus one stage win there. He may be their best bet to show the organizers that Slipstream deserve to be in the GTs.

20. thunder

thunder New Member

I think Millar can win any race besides a GT.

See in the Tour, he was climbing in the last 20 or so with the Spanish, Kohl, Schumacher, and Zabriskie off the back much earlier.

Where did DZ hang and defend to GC @Dauphine? 4th or 5th or 6th. He was well in the top 10, just missed a podium.

No, Millar can definitely win the Dauphine. The point is, can he win it when he wants to go to the Tour in peak form. I dont think he can then. I think he is like Mcgee. If Mcgee wants to win Tour de Suisse, he needs to come in at peak form, and not hold back for the Tour.

So, will he do that, probably not. Can Millar win the Dauphine if all the Tour GC guys come to play, no he cannot win in that scenario. He can podium, but he cannot win.

Look how Voigt climbs. Look where Millar was for Mayo in the Pyrenees this year. If Millar can do that, he can climb superior to a doped up Voigt.