SLoping top tube or straight

jobrazy

Nov 22, 2004
Hi all,

I am looking at a new road bike, and I am seeing both sloping top tubes and straight. I would like to hear 'from the road' experiences about both. Since I have only ridden stright top tubes, and just demo'ed the sloping bike with the shop setup - not my setup - it's hard to tell.

Help me out! Your opinions are greatly appreicated.

JB

jobrazy said:
Hi all,

I am looking at a new road bike, and I am seeing both sloping top tubes and straight. I would like to hear 'from the road' experiences about both. Since I have only ridden stright top tubes, and just demo'ed the sloping bike with the shop setup - not my setup - it's hard to tell.

JB
Destite all the hype,and BS,go with whatever fits you best.

jobrazy said:
Hi all,

JB
Well, it depends on your focuses. If you are racing it's better go with a straight top tube. If not but still want speed do the same but if you are looking for a more comfortable ride go with the sloping. It all comes to your preference. sloping is for a more comfortable ride but straight is more areo-dynamic. Either one will get the job done though. Ask you local bike shop and they would be able to tell you a little more details.

BanditBoyDavid said:
Well, it depends on your focuses. If you are racing it's better go with a straight top tube. If not but still want speed do the same but if you are looking for a more comfortable ride go with the sloping. It all comes to your preference. sloping is for a more comfortable ride but straight is more areo-dynamic.
What a bunch of BS(aka: HOOEY).It has nothing to do with comfort or areo-dynamics. Bottom line is, it's just a different way of making a frame. Everything else being equal,in a blind test you could not tell the difference.I guess no one told the pros that ride sloping they were hosing themselves, by not riding a traditional TT......Bwa-ha-ha-ha-ha...LOL.. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

There are no differences between bikes with sloping and straight top tubes. The slope of the top tube has no effect on the overall geometry of the frame. It also has little or no effect on ride quality. Finally, it has no effect on comfort and aerodynamics - these depend more on the overall geometry and materials used than on the slope of the top tube. you can make a comfort oriented frame or a more aggressive and "faster" frame using either a sloping top tube or straight top tube. The only real difference between the two is cosmetic. There is also a very slight difference in weight - A sloping top tube can result in a slightly lighter frame, but this is probably negated by the need for a longer seat post. The bottom line is that boudreaux is right, and you should not let the slope of the top tube affect your decision unless you find it visually offensive.