sloppy freewheel/cog set

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Bradley, Jun 19, 2003.

  1. Bradley

    Bradley Guest

    I'm in the process of upgrading from 8 to 9-speed with Ultegra. Supposedly, at least according to
    the performance catalog, I should just need to swap parts and be on my way.

    However, I'm not able to get the cog set to fit securely on the hub (which says 600 rather than
    ultegra). The cog sizes are 23-11. It seems the problem is between the 12 and the 11 tooth cogs. I
    can push down on the 12 by hand and there is no slop, indicating a good fit. But when I put on the
    11 tooth cog, the final cog, and then try to tighten it, there doesn't seem to be enough pressure
    from that cog and the tightening ring and all the clogs slop around.

    Any ideas on the problem and the fix? All help greatly appreciated.

    Bradley

    Tags:

  2. Bradley wrote:
    > I'm in the process of upgrading from 8 to 9-speed with Ultegra. Supposedly, at least according to
    > the performance catalog, I should just need to swap parts and be on my way.
    >=20
    > However, I'm not able to get the cog set to fit securely on the hub (which says 600 rather than
    > ultegra). The cog sizes are 23-11. It seems the problem is between the 12 and the 11 tooth cogs. I
    > can push down on the 12 by hand and there is no slop, indicating a good fit. But when I put on the
    > 11 tooth cog, the final cog, and then try to tighten it, there doesn't seem to be enough pressure
    > from that cog and the tightening ring and all the clogs slop around.
    >=20
    > Any ideas on the problem and the fix? All help greatly appreciated.

    Your older model Freehub is not designed to work with an 11 tooth=20 sprocket. The details of why,
    with pictures, are at:

    http://sheldonbrown.com/k7.html#hyperdrivec

    There are a couple of ways to make this combination work, also explained =

    in that article, but this was a poor choice of cassettes assuming you=20 have they typical 52 or 53
    tooth big ring and full-sized wheels. If you =

    live where the 23 is low enough, there won't be any descents worthy of=20 the 11. You would have
    been better off with a 12-23, because the 16 is=20 much more useful than the 11.

    Sheldon "Douze" Brown +-------------------------------------------------+
    | I will be appearing in the Midsummer Revels | Boston Children=92s Museum, June 20 | (I=92ll be
    | the front of the Dragon) | This is a FREE show! http://revels.org |
    +-------------------------------------------------+ Harris Cyclery, West Newton, Massachusetts Phone

  3. Bradley-<< However, I'm not able to get the cog set to fit securely on the hub (which says 600
    rather than ultegra). The cog sizes are 23-11. >><BR><BR>

    Get a 1mm spacer from your LBS and put that onto the freehub body first, then the cogset. The
    11t cog had 'shoulders' that prevent it from going far onto the freehub, not alolowing you to
    tighten it.

  4. Bradley

    Bradley Guest

    My understanding (from reading the book) is that the taco test only works for "standard" (box? 420
    gram?) rims with 32 or more spokes. What if you're building with 24? Or a "deep" rim that weighs
    500+ grams?