Slow Cooker meals?

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by Thotful560, Jan 26, 2004.

  1. Thotful560

    Thotful560 Guest

    Hi Group, In the winter I love to use a slow cooker or crockpot to make stew or hearty soup. I don't
    use a recipe..so how do I figure the points?

    Here's what I made today... 6 boneless, skinless chicken thighs (almost like chicken strips) 1 cup
    frozen peas 1 cup frozen green beans 1 can each drained garbanzo beans and small northern beans 1
    cup baby carrots, tossed in whole.(put them on the bottom so they cook fully) 2 cans sliced stewed
    tomatoes, plus juice. 2 T minced garlic 2 T italian herbs salt and pepper.

    I am also going to add 1 c seashell pasta towards the end of cooking. 1 cup of water...I may add
    more water later on, too. Think minestrone without the kidney beans! ( I loathe kidney beans) It's
    all low fat, and no added oils. Teresa

    Tags:

  2. Ray Miller

    Ray Miller Guest

    On 31 Dec 2003 18:11:07 GMT, [email protected] (Thotful560) wrote:

    >Hi Group, In the winter I love to use a slow cooker or crockpot to make stew or hearty soup. I
    >don't use a recipe..so how do I figure the points?
    >
    >Here's what I made today... 6 boneless, skinless chicken thighs (almost like chicken strips) 1 cup
    >frozen peas 1 cup frozen green beans 1 can each drained garbanzo beans and small northern beans 1
    >cup baby carrots, tossed in whole.(put them on the bottom so they cook fully) 2 cans sliced stewed
    >tomatoes, plus juice. 2 T minced garlic 2 T italian herbs salt and pepper.
    >
    >I am also going to add 1 c seashell pasta towards the end of cooking. 1 cup of water...I may add
    >more water later on, too. Think minestrone without the kidney beans! ( I loathe kidney beans) It's
    >all low fat, and no added oils. Teresa

    take a look at fitday.com. This is what I came up with Total: 2819 Fat: 47 423 17% Sat: 11 95 4%
    Poly: 15 132 5% Mono: 14 127 5% Carbs: 427 1288 52% Fiber: 105 0 0% Protein: 189 756 31%
    Alcohol: 0 0 0%

    Ray

    --
    rmnsuk overall - 273/210/182

  3. just figure out the points for what you have there, then add it up and
    divide by the number of servings, and this sounds good too, Lee
    Thotful560 <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Hi Group, In the winter I love to use a slow cooker or crockpot to make stew or
    hearty
    > soup. I don't use a recipe..so how do I figure the points?
    >
    > Here's what I made today... 6 boneless, skinless chicken thighs (almost like chicken strips) 1 cup
    > frozen peas 1 cup frozen green beans 1 can each drained garbanzo beans and small northern beans 1
    > cup baby carrots, tossed in whole.(put them on the bottom so they cook
    fully)
    > 2 cans sliced stewed tomatoes, plus juice. 2 T minced garlic 2 T italian herbs salt and pepper.
    >
    > I am also going to add 1 c seashell pasta towards the end of cooking. 1 cup of water...I may add
    > more water later on, too. Think minestrone without the kidney beans! ( I loathe kidney beans) It's
    > all low fat, and no added oils. Teresa

  4. Thotful560

    Thotful560 Guest

    OK Ray,(and thanks by the way)

    So how do I estimate the servings?

    it looks as if I might get 10 servings or more from the total meal. This is all totally new to
    me! teresa

  5. Thotful560

    Thotful560 Guest

    It was really good. My daughter's friends cried when my husband poured the last cup down the drain-
    he expected nobody wanted to eat it a third day...and they wanted to take it home! Next time I am
    going to use those frozen meatballs instead of chicken...slow cookers are so EASY. Teresa

  6. Carol In Nc

    Carol In Nc Guest

    If you get 10 servings, it looks like it works out to 5 points a serving. Formula is calories + fat
    grams x 4 - fiber grams x 10 (cap at 4 grams) all divided by 50.

    Carol

    318/239.4/169
    78.6 lost since December 2002
    I am a slim person in process.