Slow heart rate cause

Discussion in 'Health and medical' started by Bob Cardone, Jul 19, 2003.

  1. Bob Cardone

    Bob Cardone Guest

    I have my first appointment with my new Cardiologist this week. I am
    just curious, which would have more or any effect on slow pulse rate (
    Brady) , 25 mg Metoprolol twice a day ( I had been up as high as 100mg
    twice a day 6 months ago for Hypertension and PVC suppression, with
    little problem ) and or Flecainide 150MG twice a day for A-Fib?

    I have no A-Fib episodes at all now, and I am wondering if I should
    suggest to the Doctor ( or rather ask him) if reducing the amount of
    Flecainide would allow my resting HR to pick up a bit until the more
    normal for me mid 50s to low 60s?

    Bob

    Tags:

  2. Bob Cardone <[email protected]!mindspring.com> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > I have my first appointment with my new Cardiologist this week. I am
    > just curious, which would have more or any effect on slow pulse rate (
    > Brady) , 25 mg Metoprolol twice a day ( I had been up as high as 100mg
    > twice a day 6 months ago for Hypertension and PVC suppression, with
    > little problem ) and or Flecainide 150MG twice a day for A-Fib?
    >
    > I have no A-Fib episodes at all now, and I am wondering if I should
    > suggest to the Doctor ( or rather ask him) if reducing the amount of
    > Flecainide would allow my resting HR to pick up a bit until the more
    > normal for me mid 50s to low 60s?
    >
    > Bob

    Sounds like it is the flecainide that is the primary thing slowing
    your heart rate down since the metoprolol was not doing it at
    substantially higher doses.

    However, it may be worth switching you from metoprolol to a different
    class of antihypertensive (ACE inhibitor perhaps) to still see if that
    will give the desired effect of raising your heart rate some without
    decreasing what is presumably keeping you out of afib.

    God Bless,

    Andrew
    --
    Dr. Andrew B. Chung, MD/PhD
    Board-Certified Cardiologist

  3. Bob Cardone

    Bob Cardone Guest

    [email protected] (Dr. Andrew B. Chung, MD/PhD) wrote:

    >Bob Cardone <[email protected]!mindspring.com> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    >> I have my first appointment with my new Cardiologist this week. I am
    >> just curious, which would have more or any effect on slow pulse rate (
    >> Brady) , 25 mg Metoprolol twice a day ( I had been up as high as 100mg
    >> twice a day 6 months ago for Hypertension and PVC suppression, with
    >> little problem ) and or Flecainide 150MG twice a day for A-Fib?
    >>
    >> I have no A-Fib episodes at all now, and I am wondering if I should
    >> suggest to the Doctor ( or rather ask him) if reducing the amount of
    >> Flecainide would allow my resting HR to pick up a bit until the more
    >> normal for me mid 50s to low 60s?
    >>
    >> Bob

    >Sounds like it is the flecainide that is the primary thing slowing
    >your heart rate down since the metoprolol was not doing it at
    >substantially higher doses.
    >
    >However, it may be worth switching you from metoprolol to a different
    >class of antihypertensive (ACE inhibitor perhaps) to still see if that
    >will give the desired effect of raising your heart rate some without
    >decreasing what is presumably keeping you out of afib.
    >
    >God Bless,
    >
    >Andrew

    Thanks for the information . I guess I suspected that the Flecainide
    was possibly the cause in my case, since reductions of the Metoprolol
    so far have had very little effect.

    Bob

  4. Bob Cardone <[email protected]!mindspring.com> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > [email protected] (Dr. Andrew B. Chung, MD/PhD) wrote:
    >
    > >Bob Cardone <[email protected]!mindspring.com> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > >> I have my first appointment with my new Cardiologist this week. I am
    > >> just curious, which would have more or any effect on slow pulse rate (
    > >> Brady) , 25 mg Metoprolol twice a day ( I had been up as high as 100mg
    > >> twice a day 6 months ago for Hypertension and PVC suppression, with
    > >> little problem ) and or Flecainide 150MG twice a day for A-Fib?
    > >>
    > >> I have no A-Fib episodes at all now, and I am wondering if I should
    > >> suggest to the Doctor ( or rather ask him) if reducing the amount of
    > >> Flecainide would allow my resting HR to pick up a bit until the more
    > >> normal for me mid 50s to low 60s?
    > >>
    > >> Bob

    > >Sounds like it is the flecainide that is the primary thing slowing
    > >your heart rate down since the metoprolol was not doing it at
    > >substantially higher doses.
    > >
    > >However, it may be worth switching you from metoprolol to a different
    > >class of antihypertensive (ACE inhibitor perhaps) to still see if that
    > >will give the desired effect of raising your heart rate some without
    > >decreasing what is presumably keeping you out of afib.
    > >
    > >God Bless,
    > >
    > >Andrew

    > Thanks for the information . I guess I suspected that the Flecainide
    > was possibly the cause in my case, since reductions of the Metoprolol
    > so far have had very little effect.
    >
    > Bob

    You are very welcome, Bob :)

    Warmest Regards,