slow hill climber needs advice

Quote:Originally Posted by jsirabella .

quenya - When I did more group rides I was the same way, my reasons cause I did not want to **** people off I tried to hang on to the back and than when I did hang on I was always hitting the brakes and not picking lines correctly.  Hanging on to the back always lead to falling off sooner or later.  Than with the brakes forget it.  But on the hills I would make up the difference when I did hang on.

But I wonder if this indicates the type of rider you are...meaning if you are better on hills are you more fast twitch, grinder type while the opposite is true...just throwing it out there.  Sounds like Quenya you are well prepared and ready to have a great season. 

-js

JS, I'm not sure how climbing well figures into the ratio of fast to slow thitch fibers, but I am not a guy endowed with a large proportion of fast twitch fibers. The climbs I do well on are usually steep and very long. The biggest climbs in the Climb To Kaiser take 30-60 minutes so those are for me done at or just below LT. I find I can still generate good power at low cadence high torque efforts, like when climbing a 22% grade in a 39x25, but my muscles lack any 'explosiveness'. I can squat, calf raise, and leg press way more than needed for cycling but my vertical leap is maybe 18-20 inches and I work well at TTing and long LT efforts, all of which leads me to believe that I am balanced or leaning towards a greater proportion of slow twitch fibers.