Slow pressure drop

fauxpas

May 20, 2006
Sorry, but these stoopid nub questions will cease when I get more experience under my sitbones and picked your guys/guyettes' brains sumore...

Anyhoo, I checked the pressure in my tyres/tubes tonight... They were 105psi front and 115psi rear about 3 weeks ago... Tonight, they were 50psi front and 60psi rear...

Is it common or normal for the pressure to drop slowly from road tubes?

Yup....Exactly what you have is exactly what I would expect. I pump up at least once a week to a couple of psi over what I think is optimum for me. This gives me a week of riding, except for flats, before I usually have to worry about inflating again.

fauxpas said:
Sorry, but these stoopid nub questions will cease when I get more experience under my sitbones and picked your guys/guyettes' brains sumore...

Anyhoo, I checked the pressure in my tyres/tubes tonight... They were 105psi front and 115psi rear about 3 weeks ago... Tonight, they were 50psi front and 60psi rear...

Is it common or normal for the pressure to drop slowly from road tubes?

This is about right for 3 weeks, you should check pressure everytime you go out and ride. I use latex tubes and they lose about 5-10psi per night.

Yes, it is typical.

Some people top off their tires every ride.

I would suggest getting into a pattern of checking that works for you, and check them occasionally.

Check them once per week and you'll be fine. I use ordinary rubber tubes, and I lose about 15-20 psi per week.

Phew, thanks for that... Thank God for the floor pump... be stuffed pumping with a handheld every week to over 100psi...

I don't even see how a little handheld can get anywhere near 100psi...

The way I see it, the little handheld I have in my pack is to get enough pressure in my tyre till I get home...

fauxpas said:

The way I see it, the little handheld I have in my pack is to get enough pressure in my tyre till I get home...
Thats basically what its designed for.:)