slow protein before a ride?

Onvlnaay

Jun 14, 2011
I have some Syntha-6 powder

would that be ok to have before a ride? how much time before?

protein necessary?

I'm sure it would be fine if you had it before hand but i doubt it'll boost ride performance. If anything, you'll have a liquid meal in your stomach sloshing around while you ride. The reason why is that protein is not used as an energy source during exercise (actually it is, but it is pretty much negligable). Your glycogen will be your primary fuel source in strenuous prolonged exercise. Fats will also contribute as a fuel source as glycogen begins to deplete or during less strenuous activity. It is MUCH more technical than that but thats the best 5 minute answer i can give short of copying a page from my exercise phys text book.

I drink protein all the time but as a recovery drink after my rides or mid day snack. That would be my suggestion. Hope this helps!

It is not necessary. In my opinion you want to LIMIT food consumption within 4 hours of a hard training session or race and stay away from anything high GL +2 hours.

Owner of Ergogenic Sport Nutrition MS, CSCS, CSN, CFT, NESTA ECB.

Hi guys,.
I would focus more on the carbohydrates pre-ride and the protein post ride and beyond. Carbs for the energy- protein for the muscle repair process. Personally for me, if I eat too much protein before a ride, it sits like a rock in my stomach,.
Pasadena Personal Trainer

Protein is harder/slower to digest, so it causes the stomach to pull blood away from the muscles you're wanting to use. A good blend of simple and complex carbs up to an hour before the ride, simple carbs and electrolytes during the ride, then protein right after (within 30 minutes, the sooner the better) followed by more carbs in the hours following.

Originally Posted by Alexbit .

Hi guys,.
I would focus more on the carbohydrates pre-ride and the protein post ride and beyond. Carbs for the energy- protein for the muscle repair process. Personally for me, if I eat too much protein before a ride, it sits like a rock in my stomach,.
Yup me too - light carbs (bowl of oatmeal) an hr or so before riding

Protein shake on returning home

I only ever consume slow digesting carbs before bed (cottage cheese - casein)

If you check out Hammer Nutrition's research (or at least the research they link to on their site), they make a compelling argument for having a little bit of protein (or at least branch chain amino acids, ie the stuff you get out of protein) if you're exercising for 2 hours+. Your body starts muscle cannibalization at that point. Under 2 hours though, and it's all carbs/sugars.

Wouldn't trust Hammer. Most of their products/research are outdated. In addition, there is no "switch" to protein utilization as a fuel source, although it does increase the longer you train. The question you have to answer is, does protein catabolism during exercise contribute to fatigue? Will it increase recovery time? IMO, the catabolism of muscle protein during exercise is a GOOD thing. In theory, the use of certain BCAA's can augment aerobic metabolism (fed directly into Krebs/TCA), sparing blood glucose/muscle & liver metabolism. This, I endorse... but not the consumption of lots of protein and/or anything high-glycemic immediately pre-exercise.

You seem to like bashing Hammer yet their main messages says that protein can help on longer rides longer than two hours and to avoid anything high glycemic for a couple of hours before a ride - which is basically what you're saying.

Before beating them, go beat yourself off...

...and come back a happier and less confused person.

Personally, I find their stuff works pretty darned well if you use their recommended product as intended on rides longer than 6 hours.

Ergogenic SN said:
Wouldn't trust Hammer. Most of their products/research are outdated. In addition, there is no "switch" to protein utilization as a fuel source, although it does increase the longer you train. The question you have to answer is, does protein catabolism during exercise contribute to fatigue? Will it increase recovery time? IMO, the catabolism of muscle protein during exercise is a GOOD thing. In theory, the use of certain BCAA's can augment aerobic metabolism (fed directly into Krebs/TCA), sparing blood glucose/muscle & liver metabolism. This, I endorse... but not the consumption of lots of protein and/or anything high-glycemic immediately pre-exercise.
Self-serving comments, all to **** a competitor or someone you don't like. You've got diddly for actual proof in your "opinion."

Originally Posted by swampy1970 .

You seem to like bashing Hammer yet their main messages says that protein can help on longer rides longer than two hours and to avoid anything high glycemic for a couple of hours before a ride - which is basically what you're saying.

Before beating them, go beat yourself off...

...and come back a happier and less confused person.

Personally, I find their stuff works pretty darned well if you use their recommended product as intended on rides longer than 6 hours.
No where did I say to consume protein before a long ride (>2 hours). BCAA's are not protein and work ONLY in theory. Re-read my last two sentences. You're simply wrong. I only agree with half of their statement (no high glycemic meals immediately before exercise). Maybe you should beat some sense into that head of yours... or at least read/understand my whole comment before you speak? Personally, I could care less about whether you like their stuff or not. I am only here to educate others who are open-minded. Heavy maltodextrin based sports drinks are based upon outdated research (which relies solely on plasma osmolality) and not CHO oxidation rates (which correlate positively with glycogen sparing effects). Dr. Juekendrup's (who is a colleague of mine) studies confirmed this. Little do you know, I am a Professor of Kinesiology (Cal State University Dominguez Hills) and published author on hydration and caffeine (Medicine, Science, Sports & Exercise; 2010). Do you need verification?