Slow roadies

Tamyka Bell

Guest
This morning, I did my first bit of exercise since the weekend - a nice
easy 30km ride, and I mean EASY. I did not want my heart rate up at all,
I did not want my muscles to even vaguely feel like they were doing
anything. I just wanted to get an idea of any tweaks, etc. (Got a few
****ly spots but nothing I'm worried about, a bit more massage will fix
'em right up.)

So by EASY I mean I averaged 23.8 km/h on an almost-flat course. And I
kept waiting for a "commuter-type" (1) to proudly struggle up and
overtake me with a big grin... I couldn't wait to feel smug as they
passed me. I was imagining how it would feel to say, "Oh, wow, you're
fast, how did you recover from the 100km run so fast?" which, of course,
I would never do... but it was that thought that had me feeling very
smug - that people passing would feel good about it, but have no idea
what I had done...

But then no one chased me down. One guy wheelsucked me for a bit but I
dropped him on a hill. Not deliberately... any slower I would've been
backwards. He didn't look too fit but I was really impressed he was out
riding, we need more of that.

Speaking of which, coming along Wynnum/Lytton Rd at about 0615 this
morning, I see a gent riding pretty much in the gutter. You know when
they paint the yellow "no parking" lines just out from the gutter? He
was riding in between that and the gutter. As I rode past I said, "You
shouldn't ride in the gutter, you should ride out here more, so they
have to change lanes." He didn't catch what I said and actually called
out to me to wait and say it again. I was really impressed to meet a
cyclist who wanted to take advice. He had an accent so I figured he
might be new to riding in BrisVegas. I waited for him and explained
that if he rode in the left wheel track, he'd force cars to change
lanes, and he'd have more room to react if someone cut across him, and
he'd be riding on better road surface. He said, "That makes sense" and
thanked me. I nearly fell off my bike. It was so nice to have someone
just take on board a suggestion. Dude, whoever you are, you rock, ride
safe.

Tam

(1) Not to be confused with commuters, who ride their bikes to work,
etc. Rather "commuter-types" are the ones who think their daily commute
is some big important race and take all sorts of stupid risks to prove
how good they are. Pretty similar to "roadie types" actually, but
encompasses all types of bikes.

Tamyka Bell said:
(1) Not to be confused with commuters, who ride their bikes to work,
etc. Rather "commuter-types" are the ones who think their daily commute
is some big important race and take all sorts of stupid risks to prove
how good they are. Pretty similar to "roadie types" actually, but
encompasses all types of bikes.
I LOVE these sorts:D Make me laugh all the time. I use my commute as my recovery riding so I'm not banging along at all. I don't want to anyway, way too risky if you ask me. It's SOO funny, I'm just having a good time while ppl in cars & on bikes are running the 'Rat race'.

Tamyka Bell said:
(1) Not to be confused with commuters, who ride their bikes to work,
etc. Rather "commuter-types" are the ones who think their daily commute
is some big important race and take all sorts of stupid risks to prove
how good they are. Pretty similar to "roadie types" actually, but
encompasses all types of bikes.

arhgh not this topic again... move along people.. nothing to see here...

cheers,
GPL

JayWoo said:
I LOVE these sorts:D Make me laugh all the time. I use my commute as my recovery riding so I'm not banging along at all. I don't want to anyway, way too risky if you ask me. It's SOO funny, I'm just having a good time while ppl in cars & on bikes are running the 'Rat race'.

Had a rare driver's eye view of the St Kilda Rd madness @ 17:00 yesterday, highly amusing.

Basic format, those who were a little slower but working hard pushed past other cyclists who'd just overtaken them at the red lights. Roadies are at a serious disadvantage at lights 'cause clipping in with one sided cleats can be a pain. Off dash the try hards only to be overtaken again by not trying hard but still a lot faster than the others.

Repeat every lights.

On St Kilda Rd I'm quite happy to play tail end Charlie. It's a lot less stressful and what with the lights and all it's no slower.

On 2006-02-09, gplama (aka Bruce)

> Tamyka Bell Wrote:
>>
>> (1) Not to be confused with commuters, who ride their bikes to work,
>> etc. Rather "commuter-types" are the ones who think their daily
>> commute
>> is some big important race and take all sorts of stupid risks to prove
>> how good they are. Pretty similar to "roadie types" actually, but
>> encompasses all types of bikes.

> arhgh not this topic again... move along people.. nothing to see
> here...

Just because you want to chase down commuters doesn't make you a
"roady type" :)

--
TimC
HANDLE WITH EXTREME CARE: This Product Contains Minute Electrically

gplama wrote:

> TimC Wrote:
> >

> > Just because you want to chase down commuters doesn't make you a
> > "roady type" :)
> >

> I'd even chase down my nana if she rode a bike... and she was on the
> same team.. and in the breakaway..
>
> --
> gplama

I'm sensing you like the colour pink, also?

Tam

Tamyka Bell said:
(1) Not to be confused with commuters, who ride their bikes to work,
etc. Rather "commuter-types" are the ones who think their daily commute
is some big important race and take all sorts of stupid risks to prove
how good they are. Pretty similar to "roadie types" actually, but
encompasses all types of bikes.
It sounds more like car driver types, to me. Stupid risks, at our expense, to get to the red light 0.025 seconds faster.

gplama wrote:
> TimC Wrote:
> >

> > Just because you want to chase down commuters doesn't make you a
> > "roady type" :)
> >

> I'd even chase down my nana if she rode a bike... and she was on the
> same team.. and in the breakaway..

You're never riding in aboc colours :)

gplama said:
I'd even chase down my nana if she rode a bike... and she was on the same team.. and in the breakaway..
I also suffer from this silly disease :p

Yesterday was meant to be a rest day after a tough 95km on Tuesday and a moderate 90km on Sundee, so my intention was to just roll around Beach Rd, working on my tan. :D

With the headwind, I hitched a ride with a small group that wasn't going too fast, but a few kms later, one of the guys cranked it up a bit. There was no way I could let these guys think I was getting dropped, so I sat at the back with my HR at about 75%, which obviously ain't that hard, but not so good for really sore legs. :)

Then the group of 7 started to drop off one by one, so there I was, grinding along behind this one guy all the way up to Luna Park.:p So much for my 'easy day': I ended up doing 100km, about a third of which at ~75% max hr. Now my legs feel worse than yesterday. D'OH!!! :)

EuanB wrote:
> JayWoo Wrote:
> > I LOVE these sorts:D Make me laugh all the time. I use my commute as my
> > recovery riding so I'm not banging along at all. I don't want to
> > anyway, way too risky if you ask me. It's SOO funny, I'm just having a
> > good time while ppl in cars & on bikes are running the 'Rat race'.

> Had a rare driver's eye view of the St Kilda Rd madness @ 17:00
> yesterday, highly amusing.
>
> Basic format, those who were a little slower but working hard pushed
> past other cyclists who'd just overtaken them at the red lights.
> Roadies are at a serious disadvantage at lights 'cause clipping in with
> one sided cleats can be a pain.

Chump roadies maybe. I can usually be clipped in before the
trackstanders notice the lights have changed :)

Not that I'm not a chump, but clipping in doesn't have to be slow.

I prefer to ride in front when I don't know the people I'm riding
around, it's safer, IMO. All I have to look out for is doors and cars
merging, not also riders doing ... erratic ... things. A healthy E1
pace on the roady is usually significantly faster than the hybrid/MTB
brigade anyway, even along St K rd at peak hr.

gplama said:
heh, nice work!... though you better keep those stories in the closet or you'll be beaten up by 'those who cant hold on' around these parts! ;)
I was so stooopid yesterday that now I can't race tonight coz me legs are killing me!! :p

gplama wrote:
> Bleve Wrote:
> >

> > You're never riding in aboc colours :)

> Whys that? Do ABOC riders swear an oath to sit in until the final
> sprint?

If we've a rider up the road, we don't chase 'em, even *if* they're our
grandparents.

gplama said:
bah.. what was that saying... "excuses are like arseholes, they all drive cars"?.. or something...
fair call, but I still ain't goin' :)