Slow-Speed Injuries Hurt Too



Status
Not open for further replies.
B

B. Sanders

Guest
I'm just going to say it: Mountain biking is dangerous. I hate falling; but it's usually not too
bad. I just hop off the bike on sections that I'm not ready for (the ones that say "Danger!
Extremely Technical Terrain!"). Eventually I'll learn them; but at my own pace. I've ridden every
trail at least 5 or 6 times, but some of them were white-knuckle rides, and I biffed several times.
Learning to fall is part of this sport, isn't it?

I've been trying to get my wife to ride some of the technical MTB trails for years. Last year, she
finally went with me. The trails had more whoop-de-doo's cut into them than in previous years, and
were much more difficult than I remembered. She did OK, but was petrified and not having any fun at
all. We were in a pretty easy flat, winding singletrack section in a wooded area and she biffed on a
root. She fell hard and hit her head (with helmet on, thank goodness). The fall twisted her neck,
apparently. This happened at about a walking pace; but she was in pain for a week! She thought she
had a concussion from it. I was worried. There was a little bit of trail rash; but nothing bad.
Again, this happened on a flat trail at a walking pace.

I'm Mr. Safety Conscious, and this kinda shook me up. I really didn't expect this. We had dismounted
and walked all of the trails that were too hard for her - just to make sure that she didn't feel
intimidated. She has sworn never to return to the trails. That's it - once out, and she's done. I
can't really blame her. She could give a damn about MTB'ing in the first place (but loves road
riding). I tried my best to make sure that her bike, clothing, pedals, shoes, etc were trail-worthy
(they were fine).

I wish I had more time to ride trails, so I could get used to them. There are still quite a few
sections that I won't ride (washed-out, deeply rutted babyhead creek crossings; cliff-edge
singletrack that is eroded to nothing, etc) Hard core riders think I'm a wimp. I don't care. I have
insurance; but don't feel like bleeding for my sport. I respect the more skilled riders. I just wish
they'd respect me for choosing not to be reckless.

-Barry
 
P

Penny S.

Guest
B. Sanders wrote:
>
> I wish I had more time to ride trails, so I could get used to them. There are still quite a few
> sections that I won't ride (washed-out, deeply rutted babyhead creek crossings; cliff-edge
> singletrack that is eroded to nothing, etc) Hard core riders think I'm a wimp. I don't care. I
> have insurance; but don't feel like bleeding for my sport. I respect the more skilled riders. I
> just wish they'd respect me for choosing not to be reckless.
>
> -Barry

In all seriousness, riders do what: call you names, point and laugh? One of the beauties of this
sport is that there isn't a "right" level of difficulty, it's whatever feels appropriate for you.
Granted as I've ridden more, I WANT to try harder stuff but if I choose to ride doubletrack for the
rest of my life, it's no body's business but my own.

Penny

p.s. sorry about the wife.
 
B

B. Sanders

Guest
"Penny S." <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> B. Sanders wrote:
> >
> > I wish I had more time to ride trails, so I could get used to them. There are still quite a few
> > sections that I won't ride (washed-out, deeply rutted babyhead creek crossings; cliff-edge
> > singletrack that is eroded to nothing, etc) Hard core riders think I'm a wimp. I don't care. I
> > have insurance; but don't feel like bleeding for my sport. I respect the more skilled riders. I
> > just wish they'd respect me for choosing not to be reckless.
> >
> > -Barry
>
> In all seriousness, riders do what: call you names, point and laugh?

Something like that.

> One of the beauties of this sport is that there isn't a "right" level of difficulty, it's whatever
> feels appropriate for you.

For guys it may be a little different. I feel a great deal of pressure to "go for it" when I'm with
groups of testosterone-pumped males on the trails. That's why I avoid those situations almost
completely and try to ride solo as much as possible (even though it's less safe).

> Granted as I've ridden more, I WANT to try harder stuff but if I choose to ride doubletrack for
the
> rest of my life, it's no body's business but my own.

Again, in an ideal world, perhaps. That's *exactly* what I mean about respect: The male riders I
know are all about showing off and being hardcore. They love to brag about how extreme they are, and
haven't a shred of respect for anybody who shys away from the most difficult trails. It's none of
their business; but they make it their business. Maybe it's different for women. I hope so.

Thanks for the reply, Penny. I appreciate your respectful attitude, and wish I could meet people
like you on the trails.

-Barry

PS: My wife still rides with me on the easy singletrack - just not on technical trails.
 
P

Penny S.

Guest
B. Sanders wrote:
> "Penny S." <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>> B. Sanders wrote:
>>>
>>> I wish I had more time to ride trails, so I could get used to them. There are still quite a few
>>> sections that I won't ride (washed-out, deeply rutted babyhead creek crossings; cliff-edge
>>> singletrack that is eroded to nothing, etc) Hard core riders think I'm a wimp. I don't care. I
>>> have insurance; but don't feel like bleeding for my sport. I respect the more skilled riders. I
>>> just wish they'd respect me for choosing not to be reckless.
>>>
>>> -Barry
>>
>> In all seriousness, riders do what: call you names, point and laugh?
>
> Something like that.
>
>> One of the beauties of this sport is that there isn't a "right" level of difficulty, it's
>> whatever feels appropriate for you.
>
> For guys it may be a little different. I feel a great deal of pressure to "go for it" when I'm
> with groups of testosterone-pumped males on the trails. That's why I avoid those situations almost
> completely and try to ride solo as much as possible (even though it's less safe).
>
>> Granted as I've ridden more, I WANT to try harder stuff but if I choose to ride doubletrack for
>> the rest of my life, it's no body's business but my own.
>
> Again, in an ideal world, perhaps. That's *exactly* what I mean about respect: The male riders I
> know are all about showing off and being hardcore. They love to brag about how extreme they are,
> and haven't a shred of respect for anybody who shys away from the most difficult trails. It's none
> of their business; but they make it their business. Maybe it's different for women. I hope so.
>
> Thanks for the reply, Penny. I appreciate your respectful attitude, and wish I could meet people
> like you on the trails.
>
> -Barry
>
> PS: My wife still rides with me on the easy singletrack - just not on technical trails.

harumpph, sounds like you need new riding pals.

penny
 
G

Gary In Va

Guest
"B. Sanders" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
>> Again, in an ideal world, perhaps. That's *exactly* what I mean about
> respect: The male riders I know are all about showing off and being hardcore. They love to brag
> about how extreme they are, and haven't a
shred
> of respect for anybody who shys away from the most difficult trails. It's none of their business;
> but they make it their business. Maybe it's different for women. I hope so.

I've gone riding with guys who have a lot of attitude. When they start talking smack I always
just laugh at them and say I'm not trying to impress anyone. Most of the time they don't know
how to react.

Gary in VA
 
B

Bb

Guest
On Thu, 24 Apr 2003 16:33:25 -0700, Penny S. wrote:

> harumpph, sounds like you need new riding pals.

"Hey, I didn't get a harumpph from that guy"

"Harumpph!"

"Better."

If you've ridden a number of years, you get comfortable with the fact that people have different
skill levels and don't feel the need to belittle others. We all had a point where the obstacles made
us nervous. Some still make me nervous!

--
-BB- To reply to me, drop the attitude (from my e-mail address, at least)
 
B

Bomba

Guest
Stephen Baker wrote:

>>The male riders I know are all about showing off and being hardcore. They love to brag about how
>>extreme they are, and haven't a shred of respect for anybody who shys away from the most
>>difficult trails.
>
>
> That sounds like a dictionary definition of "A$$hole". The ones that make the most noise are
> prob-babbly the biggest Barneys of the bunch. Drop 'em, do what you want to do, and don't
> look back.

If that's the way things truly are then I agree, but I think it may well be different and our friend
here has gossamer-like skin.

Firstly, if they're your mates, then you should realise that they're going to give you stick if you
don't ride stuff. Friends often have a better idea of your strengths anyway, and banter amongst
friends is par for the course. Friends egging on each other is a very good way of progressing too,
and people are often surprised by their own abilities. Quite frankly, having someone of a similar
ability who complained that "it's too hard" every time we got to a technical bit of trail would get
right on my tits.

I think it's a good idea that people are aware of their limits, but what about people who don't even
get close to their limits and then complain about their friends encouraging them?

--
a.m-b FAQ: http://www.t-online.de/~jharris/ambfaq.htm

b.bmx FAQ: http://www.t-online.de/~jharris/bmx_faq.htm
 
W

Westie

Guest
"bomba" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> Stephen Baker wrote:
>
> >>The male riders I know are all about showing off and being hardcore. They love to brag about how
> >>extreme they are, and haven't a
shred
> >>of respect for anybody who shys away from the most difficult trails.
> >
> >
> > That sounds like a dictionary definition of "A$$hole". The ones that
make the
> > most noise are prob-babbly the biggest Barneys of the bunch. Drop 'em, do what you want to do,
> > and don't look back.
>
> If that's the way things truly are then I agree, but I think it may well be different and our
> friend here has gossamer-like skin.
>
> Firstly, if they're your mates, then you should realise that they're going to give you stick if
> you don't ride stuff. Friends often have a better idea of your strengths anyway, and banter
> amongst friends is par for the course. Friends egging on each other is a very good way of
> progressing too, and people are often surprised by their own abilities. Quite frankly, having
> someone of a similar ability who complained that "it's too hard" every time we got to a technical
> bit of trail would get right on my tits.
>
> I think it's a good idea that people are aware of their limits, but what about people who don't
> even get close to their limits and then complain about their friends encouraging them?
>
> --
> a.m-b FAQ: http://www.t-online.de/~jharris/ambfaq.htm
>
> a.bmx FAQ: http://www.t-online.de/~jharris/bmx_faq.htm
>

I had a mate like that when we were in our early twenties. Had bought himself a Honda CBR600 and
wouldn't even go near the red line on the rev counter. "Didn't like hearing the engine" is what he
said. He might as well have bought himself a nifty fifty for all he ever did with it. It was almost
embarrassing in some funny way, because he was cabable of riding it better (he used to ride his
Suzuki GN250 harder). We were always waiting for him to catch up. A waste of a bike in some other
ways... I still can't figure out what the problem was even now.
--
Westie
 
T

Tom Walker

Guest
"B. Sanders" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...

<Tales of woe snipped>

First off, get some new riding buddies with mental capacities that would at least match those of a
16 year old. I've ridden with a lot of different people with skill levels all over the map and
although some may push me to try new, difficult things harder than others, none have ever
disrespected me for declining the challenge. That's unacceptable and NOT common.

It sounds like you both need a little more confidence on technical trails. Usually, we get that
confidence by rider with people who are better than us and courteous enough show us a thing or two.
since you don't have those people around you, I would suggest you both take a beginner mountain
biking class. The local advocacy group in my area (www.nemba.org) hold several, and I've tought a
few. They cover very basic mountain biking skills like obstacle clearing, downhill riding, and the
importance of basic balance skills. It usually takes a couple of hours and you'll learn a TON. I
guarantee you'll feel more confident after a similar class. If your local club doesn't offer this,
try to find a decent, skilled rider who will go over the basics with you.

I've seen plenty of people in these classes who were on the verge of quiting the sport after a few
too many episodes like yours. After learning the basics they looked at mtbing with a lot more
enthusiasm.

[email protected]
 
M

Mark Hickey

Guest
[email protected] (Stephen Baker) wrote:

>Barry says:
>
>>The male riders I know are all about showing off and being hardcore. They love to brag about how
>>extreme they are, and haven't a shred of respect for anybody who shys away from the most
>>difficult trails.
>
>That sounds like a dictionary definition of "A$$hole". The ones that make the most noise are
>prob-babbly the biggest Barneys of the bunch. Drop 'em, do what you want to do, and don't
>look back.

A lot of riders will ride one particular difficult trail almost exclusively and then judge everyone
else by their ability to ride that particular trail. They become one-trick ponies, and normally get
dropped like yesterday's newspaper if they ride anywhere else.

Now where's the fun in that?

Mark Hickey Habanero Cycles http://www.habcycles.com Home of the $695 ti frame
 
T

The Ogre

Guest
"B. Sanders" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > >
> > > I wish I had more time to ride trails, so I could get used to them. There are still quite a
> > > few sections that I won't ride (washed-out, deeply rutted babyhead creek crossings; cliff-edge
> > > singletrack that is eroded to nothing, etc) Hard core riders think I'm a wimp. I don't care. I
> > > have insurance; but don't feel like bleeding for my sport. I respect the more skilled riders.
> > > I just wish they'd respect me for choosing not to be reckless.
> > >
> > > -Barry
> > One of the beauties of this sport is that there isn't a "right" level of difficulty, it's
> > whatever feels appropriate for you.
>
> For guys it may be a little different. I feel a great deal of pressure to "go for it" when I'm
> with groups of testosterone-pumped males on the trails. That's why I avoid those situations almost
> completely and try to ride solo as much as possible (even though it's less safe).

I'm not certain that I buy this, I don't recall any group rides where people have pressured me to
push myself beyond my limits. About the only pressure I do feel is when I am slowing a group up.
When I have passed on technical sections noone bothers me.

> > Granted as I've ridden more, I WANT to try harder stuff but if I choose to ride doubletrack for
> > the rest of my life, it's no body's business but my own.
-=(Go Penny ! )=-

> Again, in an ideal world, perhaps. That's *exactly* what I mean about respect: The male riders I
> know are all about showing off and being hardcore. They love to brag about how extreme they are,
> and haven't a shred of respect for anybody who shys away from the most difficult trails. It's none
> of their business; but they make it their business. Maybe it's different for women. I hope so.

Again I just don't get this kind of attitude. Perhaps you are just riding with a bunch of Cool
Mountain Dewds. Try hooking up with a mountain biking club or ride group in your area rather than
your normal buds and you will probably see an entirely different attitude.

The other possibility is as bomba suggested. Perhaps you just aren't pushing your limits. If you
don't push your limits you will never improve.

-- The Ogre http://ogrehut.com
 
B

B. Sanders

Guest
"Tom Walker" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> "B. Sanders" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
>
> <Tales of woe snipped>
>
> First off, get some new riding buddies with mental capacities that would at least match those of a
> 16 year old. I've ridden with a lot of different people with skill levels all over the map and
> although some may push me to try new, difficult things harder than others, none have ever
> disrespected me for declining the challenge. That's unacceptable and NOT common.

Here in Illinois, I think many of the riders use attitude to prove to themselves that they're the
equal of the hardcore riders they read about in the magazines. This is not mountain country. There
aren't many trails. These guys haven't been humbled by epic lung-busting climbs and insanely twisty
super-fast downhills. They're racer boy wannabe's, and they need desperately to pound their chests.

Knuckledraggers are pathetic; but around here, they are in abundance.

> It sounds like you both need a little more confidence on technical trails.

That comes with experience, which I hope to get more of.

> Usually, we get that confidence by rider with people who are better than us and courteous enough
> show us a thing or two. since you don't have those people around you, I would suggest you both
> take a beginner mountain biking class. The local advocacy group in my area (www.nemba.org) hold
> several, and I've tought a few. They cover very basic mountain biking skills like obstacle
> clearing, downhill riding, and the importance of basic balance skills. It usually takes a couple
> of hours and you'll learn a TON. I guarantee you'll feel more confident after a similar class. If
> your local club doesn't offer this, try to find a decent, skilled rider who will go over the
> basics with you.

Thank you for the excellent suggestion. I'm sure it would help a lot. I'm not such a klutz, y'know.
Good balance, decades of riding experience. I just have very little desire to "go extreme". I have
nothing to prove, and I wish others would respect that. Sure, I'd like to progress; but not for any
particular purpose (such as racing).

> I've seen plenty of people in these classes who were on the verge of quiting the sport after a few
> too many episodes like yours. After learning the basics they looked at mtbing with a lot more
> enthusiasm.

What I need is a respectful peer group. My cycling club friends - who are very respectful and
helpful - are completely intimidated by offroad biking. They've done it enough to know they'll never
try it again. "I almost killed myself" and "I fell 5 times and almost broke my collar bone" are the
kind of comments I get from them.

I didn't post this to whine. I posted it to offer a new perspective that isn't common on this NG: A
non-beginner with moderate skills who feels disrespect for not wanting to be "extreme." I'll bet I'm
not the only guy who has had this experience.

-Barry
 
S

Spider

Guest
[email protected] (Tom Walker) wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> "B. Sanders" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
>
> <Tales of woe snipped>
>
> First off, get some new riding buddies with mental capacities that would at least match those of a
> 16 year old. I've ridden with a lot of different people with skill levels all over the map and
> although some may push me to try new, difficult things harder than others, none have ever
> disrespected me for declining the challenge. That's unacceptable and NOT common.
>
> It sounds like you both need a little more confidence on technical trails. Usually, we get that
> confidence by rider with people who are better than us and courteous enough show us a thing or
> two. since you don't have those people around you, I would suggest you both take a beginner
> mountain biking class. The local advocacy group in my area (www.nemba.org) hold several, and I've
> tought a few. They cover very basic mountain biking skills like obstacle clearing, downhill
> riding, and the importance of basic balance skills. It usually takes a couple of hours and you'll
> learn a TON. I guarantee you'll feel more confident after a similar class. If your local club
> doesn't offer this, try to find a decent, skilled rider who will go over the basics with you.
>
> I've seen plenty of people in these classes who were on the verge of quiting the sport after a few
> too many episodes like yours. After learning the basics they looked at mtbing with a lot more
> enthusiasm.

Agreed.

A gentle razzing is no big deal. Laying on the insults and catcalls is just shitty.

But "MTB-Camp" would be cool. Heck I've learned a ton by watching others ride. I say to myself "that
didn't look too bad - I'll try
it." Next thing you know, I'm unconscious and bleeding...ooops, I meant to say, clearing the
obstacle I thought was insurmountable. But then again, I'm not gonzo, but quite cautious in my
riding. Too cautious, sometimes. Sometimes you have to "go for it" to clear it. But the guys the
OP is talking about don't sound like they are looking to encourage skills. :(

Spider
 
P

Paladin

Guest
"B. Sanders" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> "Penny S." <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > B. Sanders wrote:
> > >
> > > I wish I had more time to ride trails, so I could get used to them. There are still quite a
> > > few sections that I won't ride (washed-out, deeply rutted babyhead creek crossings; cliff-edge
> > > singletrack that is eroded to nothing, etc) Hard core riders think I'm a wimp. I don't care. I
> > > have insurance; but don't feel like bleeding for my sport. I respect the more skilled riders.
> > > I just wish they'd respect me for choosing not to be reckless.
> > >
> > > -Barry
> >
>
> -Barry
>
> PS: My wife still rides with me on the easy singletrack - just not on technical trails.

Buddy, you need to find some new riding pals. The guys you describe, even if only half of what you
say is true, are jerks. Why don't you recruit your existing friends into the sport, so that your
friendship will be the focus, not some macho, who's got the biggest unit contest?

Paladin
 
B

B. Sanders

Guest
"Westie" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
>
> "bomba" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> > Stephen Baker wrote:
> >
> > >>The male riders I know are all about showing off and being hardcore. They love to brag about
> > >>how extreme they are, and haven't a
> shred
> > >>of respect for anybody who shys away from the most difficult trails.
> > >
> > >
> > > That sounds like a dictionary definition of "A$$hole". The ones that
> make the
> > > most noise are prob-babbly the biggest Barneys of the bunch. Drop 'em, do what you want to do,
> > > and don't look back.
> >
> > If that's the way things truly are then I agree, but I think it may well be different and our
> > friend here has gossamer-like skin.

Meaning what, exactly?

> > Firstly, if they're your mates, then you should realise that they're going to give you stick if
> > you don't ride stuff. Friends often have a better idea of your strengths anyway, and banter
> > amongst friends is par for the course. Friends egging on each other is a very good way of
> > progressing too, and people are often surprised by their own abilities.

I agree. Respectful banter can be good. Teaching skills to your friends is even better (much
better). Maybe if I was 19 instead of 41, I'd have more tolerance for that kind of pushiness. Maybe
I'd have more of an invincibility syndrome that would allow me to "go for it." Things change as you
age. (Anybody here over 30?)

> > Quite frankly, having someone of a similar ability who complained that "it's too hard" every
> > time we got to a technical bit of trail would get right on my tits.

Ok, fair enough. Why do you ride with other people if they get on your nerves?

> > I think it's a good idea that people are aware of their limits, but what about people who don't
> > even get close to their limits and then complain about their friends encouraging them?

What about them? They like companionship; but don't like to be pushed. Is that wrong? It's difficult
to find male friends who aren't pushy and competitive, often to recklessness. That's exactly what
I'm trying to say.

> I had a mate like that when we were in our early twenties. Had bought himself a Honda CBR600 and
> wouldn't even go near the red line on the rev counter. "Didn't like hearing the engine" is what he
> said. He might as well have bought himself a nifty fifty for all he ever did with it.

That's his choice, and you should respect that.

> It was almost embarrassing in some funny way, because he was cabable of riding it better (he used
> to ride his Suzuki GN250 harder). We were always waiting for him to catch up. A waste of a bike in
> some other ways... I still
can't
> figure out what the problem was even now.

And so for you, life is a race, is that right? If you're not racing, then you're not having fun?
"Pushing it harder" isn't the ultimate life goal for many people (even though that ethos is very
popular nowadays, according to the media.)

You and I are from different planets. I respect your views and skills; but do not share them.

-Barry
 
B

B. Sanders

Guest
"Paladin" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:b9df8744.0304[email protected]...
> "B. Sanders" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> > "Penny S." <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > news:[email protected]...
> > > B. Sanders wrote:
> > > >
> > > > I wish I had more time to ride trails, so I could get used to them. There are still quite a
> > > > few sections that I won't ride (washed-out, deeply rutted babyhead creek crossings;
> > > > cliff-edge singletrack that is eroded to nothing, etc) Hard core riders think I'm a wimp. I
> > > > don't care. I have insurance; but don't feel like bleeding for my sport. I respect the more
> > > > skilled riders. I just wish they'd respect me for choosing not to be reckless.
> > > >
> > > > -Barry
> > >
> >
> > -Barry
> >
> > PS: My wife still rides with me on the easy singletrack - just not on technical trails.
>
> Buddy, you need to find some new riding pals. The guys you describe, even if only half of what you
> say is true, are jerks. Why don't you recruit your existing friends into the sport, so that your
> friendship will be the focus, not some macho, who's got the biggest unit contest?

Great advice, Palidin.

Thanks to everybody who replied. I'm encouraged by all of your supportive responses.

-Barry
 
P

Penny S.

Guest
B. Sanders wrote:
> I agree. Respectful banter can be good. Teaching skills to your friends is even better (much
> better). Maybe if I was 19 instead of 41, I'd have more tolerance for that kind of pushiness.
> Maybe I'd have more of an invincibility syndrome that would allow me to "go for
> it." Things change as you age. (Anybody here over 30?)

most of us I think.

penny
 
C

Corvus Corvax

Guest
"B. Sanders" <[email protected]> wrote
>
> The male riders I know are all about showing off and being hardcore. They love to brag about how
> extreme they are, and haven't a shred of respect for anybody who shys away from the most
> difficult trails. It's none of their business; but they make it their business.

Jeez. Just quit riding with Fagerlin...

CC
 
W

Westie

Guest
"Spider" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> [email protected] (Tom Walker) wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> > "B. Sanders" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> >
> > <Tales of woe snipped>
> >
> > First off, get some new riding buddies with mental capacities that would at least match those of
> > a 16 year old. I've ridden with a lot of different people with skill levels all over the map and
> > although some may push me to try new, difficult things harder than others, none have ever
> > disrespected me for declining the challenge. That's unacceptable and NOT common.
> >
> > It sounds like you both need a little more confidence on technical trails. Usually, we get that
> > confidence by rider with people who are better than us and courteous enough show us a thing or
> > two. since you don't have those people around you, I would suggest you both take a beginner
> > mountain biking class. The local advocacy group in my area (www.nemba.org) hold several, and
> > I've tought a few. They cover very basic mountain biking skills like obstacle clearing,
> > downhill riding, and the importance of basic balance skills. It usually takes a couple of hours
> > and you'll learn a TON. I guarantee you'll feel more confident after a similar class. If your
> > local club doesn't offer this, try to find a decent, skilled rider who will go over the basics
> > with you.
> >
> > I've seen plenty of people in these classes who were on the verge of quiting the sport after a
> > few too many episodes like yours. After learning the basics they looked at mtbing with a lot
> > more enthusiasm.
>
> Agreed.
>
> A gentle razzing is no big deal. Laying on the insults and catcalls is just shitty.
>
> But "MTB-Camp" would be cool. Heck I've learned a ton by watching others ride. I say to myself
> "that didn't look too bad - I'll try
> it." Next thing you know, I'm unconscious and bleeding...ooops, I meant to say, clearing the
> obstacle I thought was insurmountable. But then again, I'm not gonzo, but quite cautious in my
> riding. Too cautious, sometimes. Sometimes you have to "go for it" to clear it. But the guys
> the OP is talking about don't sound like they are looking to encourage skills. :(
>
> Spider

Yeah, a camp'd be cool. I think that I'd really enjoy going over some of the "basics" and some of
the "no so basics" I've enquired in the past and there isn't too much around my area unfortunately.
--
Westie
 
W

Westie

Guest
"B. Sanders" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> "Westie" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> >
> > "bomba" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> > > Stephen Baker wrote:
> > >
> > > >>The male riders I know are all about showing off and being hardcore. They love to brag about
> > > >>how extreme they are, and haven't
a
> > shred
> > > >>of respect for anybody who shys away from the most difficult trails.
> > > >
> > > >
> > > > That sounds like a dictionary definition of "A$$hole". The ones
that
> > make the
> > > > most noise are prob-babbly the biggest Barneys of the bunch. Drop 'em, do what you want to
> > > > do, and don't look back.
> > >
> > > If that's the way things truly are then I agree, but I think it may
well
> > > be different and our friend here has gossamer-like skin.
>
> Meaning what, exactly?
>
> > > Firstly, if they're your mates, then you should realise that they're going to give you stick
> > > if you don't ride stuff. Friends often have a better idea of your strengths anyway, and banter
> > > amongst friends is
par
> > > for the course. Friends egging on each other is a very good way of progressing too, and people
> > > are often surprised by their own
abilities.
>
> I agree. Respectful banter can be good. Teaching skills to your friends
is
> even better (much better). Maybe if I was 19 instead of 41, I'd have more tolerance for that kind
> of pushiness. Maybe I'd have more of an invincibility syndrome that would allow me to "go for it."
> Things change
as
> you age. (Anybody here over 30?)
>
> > > Quite frankly, having someone of a similar ability who complained
that
> > > "it's too hard" every time we got to a technical bit of trail would
get
> > > right on my tits.
>
> Ok, fair enough. Why do you ride with other people if they get on your nerves?
>
> > > I think it's a good idea that people are aware of their limits, but
what
> > > about people who don't even get close to their limits and then
complain
> > > about their friends encouraging them?
>
> What about them? They like companionship; but don't like to be pushed.
Is
> that wrong? It's difficult to find male friends who aren't pushy and competitive, often to
> recklessness. That's exactly what I'm trying to
say.
>
> > I had a mate like that when we were in our early twenties. Had bought himself a Honda CBR600 and
> > wouldn't even go near the red line on the rev counter. "Didn't like hearing the engine" is what
> > he said. He might as well have bought himself a nifty fifty for all he ever did with it.
>
> That's his choice, and you should respect that.
>

And while I never really understood it, Yes, I did respect it. You will notice that later in
the post I mention that we always had to wait for him, but not once did we not invite him
because of that...

> > It was almost embarrassing in some funny way, because he was cabable of riding
it
> > better (he used to ride his Suzuki GN250 harder). We were always
waiting
> > for him to catch up. A waste of a bike in some other ways... I still
> can't
> > figure out what the problem was even now.
>
> And so for you, life is a race, is that right? If you're not racing, then you're not having fun?
> "Pushing it harder" isn't the ultimate life goal
for
> many people (even though that ethos is very popular nowadays, according to the media.)
>

I don't particularly push the boundaries on my bike/s either - be they motor or mountain bikes -
never have. Life a race? I don't consider myself highly competitive and never have. But having said
that, if my friends didn't push me sometimes, and if I didn't push myself, then I might as well just
pack up and go home because mountainbiking is just _too_ hard for lil' ol' me.

I'll give a friend a push and a ribbing if needed ( isn't that one of the things friends are for?)
but I would never push someone beyond their skill level just to prove something. And if they don't
appreciate the pushing after a couple of times, you, as a friend, learn to lay off it. One should,
equally, be able to take some pushing. There are levels of abuse and I'm not sure that your friends
are being insensitive. You shouldn't be surprised if your friends push you to take risks. It's a
risky sport. Just getting on a bike is dangerous for some (when was the last time you fell off on
the way home from the Pub, Shaun?). Likewise, if you're a boxer don't complain if people are
surprised when you refuse to take _any_ punches. Tell your friends to lay off and leave you to ride
the way you want to. You can always go for help when they break their necks.
--
Westie

> You and I are from different planets. I respect your views and skills; but do not share them.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar threads