Slush/Snow Tires....

bukit7

Oct 19, 2004
Hey all,

I'm commuting 10 miles each way on the road mostly in the Wash. DC area. I've got a mountain bike I've set up as a commuter.

This will be my first winter here and I'm looking for input on some tires for slushy/snowy conditions.

DC doesn't get tons of snow, and if we do I might take the bus, but I'm looking for a good tire for the other 80% of the time when it's rainy or slushy. Any input would be appreciated.

Right now I'm running 26 x 1.9 Michelin City Slicks, which I dig, tread wise and I also like the fact that they sport the reflective sidewalls...

Thanks,
-bukit

bukit7 said:
Hey all,

I'm commuting 10 miles each way on the road mostly in the Wash. DC area. I've got a mountain bike I've set up as a commuter.

This will be my first winter here and I'm looking for input on some tires for slushy/snowy conditions.

DC doesn't get tons of snow, and if we do I might take the bus, but I'm looking for a good tire for the other 80% of the time when it's rainy or slushy. Any input would be appreciated.

Right now I'm running 26 x 1.9 Michelin City Slicks, which I dig, tread wise and I also like the fact that they sport the reflective sidewalls...

Thanks,
-bukit[/QUOTte]

My experience is that the best thing for snow is thinner the better. Go for some Conti 1.0 city slicks, or any 1.0 as thats generally the slimmest you can put on a MTB. a lil tread won't hurt. High PSI helps as well. Don't exceed manufactueres specs, but the higher the psi the easier it is to cut through ice snow & slush. Also the less wheel you've got going through the slush the less you'll pick up to slow you down