small bike wanted

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Richard Burton, Jan 30, 2003.

  1. There's a rather tasty young lady in my office who is threatening to take up cycling, and being
    foolish and male, and rather obviously a cyclist, I have offered to help her sort a reasonable bike.

    Unfortunately, although perfectly formed, she is rather vertically challenged, and is 4'11" and thus
    needs something like a 17 1/2" frame, which seem to be rather thin on the ground. If anyone has a
    reasonable hybrid/tourer of said frame size, I will consider anything.

    Rich

    Tags:

  2. Peter Clinch

    Peter Clinch Guest

    Richard Burton wrote:
    > There's a rather tasty young lady in my office who is threatening to take up cycling, and
    > being foolish and male, and rather obviously a cyclist, I have offered to help her sort a
    > reasonable bike.
    >
    > Unfortunately, although perfectly formed, she is rather vertically challenged

    Possibly rather expensive for a first bike (depending on model), but note that many folders have low
    step across heights and "one size fits most" geometries. They also have lots of other advantages, of
    course, and given a decent set of road tyres many are perfectly capable bikes in their own right.

    Pete.
    http://www.dundee.ac.uk/~pjclinch/

  3. Nc

    Nc Guest

    "Richard Burton" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > There's a rather tasty young lady in my office who is threatening to take
    up
    > cycling, and being foolish and male, and rather obviously a cyclist, I
    have
    > offered to help her sort a reasonable bike.
    >
    > Unfortunately, although perfectly formed, she is rather vertically challenged, and is 4'11" and
    > thus needs something like a 17 1/2" frame, which seem to be rather thin on the ground. If anyone
    > has a reasonable hybrid/tourer of said frame size, I will consider anything.

    Probably cheapest option is to find a small framed mountain bike (though beware that some will have
    short height, but long length and won't therefore fit well). Replace off-road tyres with smooth road
    versions, fit mudguards, etc. and will work. Some people like the straight-across handlebars of
    MTB's, others might prefer them replaced with swept back styles which alters the position of hands
    and pressure on shoulders (think classic old upright large wheeled bike, or Dutch bikes). Consider
    swapping the cranks for shorter ones, around 160mm rather than typical 170-175mm of most mountain
    bikes (Spa Cycles in Harrogate had shorter crank sets for around £30-odd with a triple chain ring
    when I last enquired).

    There are a few specifically designed for women small MTB style bikes from Edinburgh cycle coop at
    quite low prices.

    Orbit make a small bike, the Mercury. My partner has had one for several years - decent machine for
    the money. As well as small frame, it has shorter cranks for the pedals (suits shorter legs), fairly
    low bottom bracket height (shorter cranks mean it can be lower) and carefully selected other parts.
    Very good wheels on our example. There are a few things where I think they've got it wrong, and I'm
    slowly replacing those bits, but overall satisfied. I think they are circa £500 these days.

    More money gets up to custom built frames, though probably not the best thing for a first cycle.

    Other option would be to find an old small wheeled "shopper" style bike; not the fastest or best
    around by a long way, but at least get the basics of balance sorted.

    Pete Clinch has already suggested a folding machine; a friend who is 6ft4 has a Brompton which his 6
    year old daughter can also ride.

    NC

  4. John

    John Guest

    On Fri, 31 Jan 2003 09:10:35 +0000, Peter Clinch
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Richard Burton wrote:
    >> There's a rather tasty young lady in my office who is threatening to take up cycling, and
    >> being foolish and male, and rather obviously a cyclist, I have offered to help her sort a
    >> reasonable bike.
    >>
    >> Unfortunately, although perfectly formed, she is rather vertically challenged

    Just had a look at the Dawes 2002 catalogue, and their range of 'trekking' bikes, which come with
    guards & racks, start at a 43cm frame.

    Would this be small enough?

    HTH John

  5. Trog Woolley

    Trog Woolley Guest

    While stranded on the hard shoulder of the information super highway
    [email protected] typed:
    > There's a rather tasty young lady in my office who is threatening to take up cycling, and
    > being foolish and male, and rather obviously a cyclist, I have offered to help her sort a
    > reasonable bike.
    >
    > Unfortunately, although perfectly formed, she is rather vertically challenged, and is 4'11" and
    > thus needs something like a 17 1/2" frame, which seem to be rather thin on the ground. If anyone
    > has a reasonable hybrid/tourer of said frame size, I will consider anything.

    Brompton frames are very small. They also have infinitely adjustable saddle height. The Birdie does
    too, although I think the Brommie would go lower.

    --
    Trog Woolley | trog at trog hyphen oz dot demon dot co dot uk (A Croweater back residing in Pommie
    Land with Linux) Isis Astarte Diana Hecate Demeter Kali Inanna

  6. Peter Clinch

    Peter Clinch Guest

    Trog Woolley wrote:

    > Brompton frames are very small. They also have infinitely adjustable saddle height. The Birdie
    > does too, although I think the Brommie would go lower.

    Moultons and Bike Fridays too. But we're well beyond the realms of cheap in all cases here, which
    might be a problem for a first "proper" bike. Less than a first car, mind...

    Pete.
    http://www.dundee.ac.uk/~pjclinch/

  7. "Richard Burton" <[email protected]> wrote
    > There's a rather tasty young lady in my office who is threatening to take up cycling, and
    > being foolish and male, and rather obviously a cyclist, I have offered to help her sort a
    > reasonable bike.
    >
    > Unfortunately, although perfectly formed, she is rather vertically challenged, and is 4'11" and
    > thus needs something like a 17 1/2" frame, which seem to be rather thin on the ground. If anyone
    > has a reasonable hybrid/tourer of said frame size, I will consider anything.

    I have a small bike I'd like to get rid of. I'm 5'5", but the bike is really quite small. It has a
    50cm long top tube, and the the top tube is pretty low; I have loads of standover clearance on it.
    I'll measure it up this evening.

    It has drop bars currently (with bar-end shifters), but could be converted to straight bars easily
    -- it has a 165mm Sora triple chainset & Sora front mech, and MTB rear gears. It would work very
    well with Gripshift. It also has canti brakes, so brake levers wouldn't be a problem. It has a 26cm
    BB height, making it much easier to get on for a short person.

    It's a good quality bike -- custom made for me by Orbit (yes I know they don't have the greatest
    reputation in general, but this is a good one). It's got a 631 Reynolds frame. It has MTB wheels
    fitted with 32mm Panaracer Pasela tires. It's meant as an Audax/light touring bike, and has all the
    fittings for rack and mudguards you could want. I'd want about 400 quid for it.

    Email me if you're interested!

    [email protected]

    -Myra

  8. "NC" <[email protected]> writes:
    > "Richard Burton" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > There's a rather tasty young lady in my office who is threatening to take
    > up
    > > cycling, and being foolish and male, and rather obviously a cyclist, I
    > have
    > > offered to help her sort a reasonable bike.
    > >
    > > Unfortunately, although perfectly formed, she is rather vertically challenged, and is 4'11" and
    > > thus needs something like a 17 1/2" frame, which seem to be rather thin on the ground. If anyone
    > > has a reasonable hybrid/tourer of said frame size, I will consider anything.
    >
    > Probably cheapest option is to find a small framed mountain bike (though beware that some will
    > have short height, but long length and won't therefore fit well). Replace off-road tyres with
    > smooth road versions, fit mudguards, etc. and will work.
    [...]
    > There are a few specifically designed for women small MTB style bikes from Edinburgh cycle coop at
    > quite low prices.

    Women's specific bike page: http://www.edinburgh-bicycle.co.uk/catalogue/subcollections.cfm?ID=688

    And, if they are too large, try the bikes aimed at teenagers:
    http://www.edinburgh-bicycle.co.uk/catalogue/item.cfm?ID=1759