small bike wanted

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

Richard Burton

There's a rather tasty young lady in my office who is threatening to take up cycling, and being
foolish and male, and rather obviously a cyclist, I have offered to help her sort a reasonable bike.

Unfortunately, although perfectly formed, she is rather vertically challenged, and is 4'11" and thus
needs something like a 17 1/2" frame, which seem to be rather thin on the ground. If anyone has a
reasonable hybrid/tourer of said frame size, I will consider anything.

Rich

Richard Burton wrote:
> There's a rather tasty young lady in my office who is threatening to take up cycling, and
> being foolish and male, and rather obviously a cyclist, I have offered to help her sort a
> reasonable bike.
>
> Unfortunately, although perfectly formed, she is rather vertically challenged

Possibly rather expensive for a first bike (depending on model), but note that many folders have low
step across heights and "one size fits most" geometries. They also have lots of other advantages, of
course, and given a decent set of road tyres many are perfectly capable bikes in their own right.

Pete.
--
Peter Clinch University of Dundee Tel 44 1382 660111 ext. 33637 Medical Physics, Ninewells Hospital
Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK net [email protected]
http://www.dundee.ac.uk/~pjclinch/

"Richard Burton" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> There's a rather tasty young lady in my office who is threatening to take
up
> cycling, and being foolish and male, and rather obviously a cyclist, I
have
> offered to help her sort a reasonable bike.
>
> Unfortunately, although perfectly formed, she is rather vertically challenged, and is 4'11" and
> thus needs something like a 17 1/2" frame, which seem to be rather thin on the ground. If anyone
> has a reasonable hybrid/tourer of said frame size, I will consider anything.

Probably cheapest option is to find a small framed mountain bike (though beware that some will have
short height, but long length and won't therefore fit well). Replace off-road tyres with smooth road
versions, fit mudguards, etc. and will work. Some people like the straight-across handlebars of
MTB's, others might prefer them replaced with swept back styles which alters the position of hands
and pressure on shoulders (think classic old upright large wheeled bike, or Dutch bikes). Consider
swapping the cranks for shorter ones, around 160mm rather than typical 170-175mm of most mountain
bikes (Spa Cycles in Harrogate had shorter crank sets for around £30-odd with a triple chain ring
when I last enquired).

There are a few specifically designed for women small MTB style bikes from Edinburgh cycle coop at
quite low prices.

Orbit make a small bike, the Mercury. My partner has had one for several years - decent machine for
the money. As well as small frame, it has shorter cranks for the pedals (suits shorter legs), fairly
low bottom bracket height (shorter cranks mean it can be lower) and carefully selected other parts.
Very good wheels on our example. There are a few things where I think they've got it wrong, and I'm
slowly replacing those bits, but overall satisfied. I think they are circa £500 these days.

More money gets up to custom built frames, though probably not the best thing for a first cycle.

Other option would be to find an old small wheeled "shopper" style bike; not the fastest or best
around by a long way, but at least get the basics of balance sorted.

Pete Clinch has already suggested a folding machine; a friend who is 6ft4 has a Brompton which his 6
year old daughter can also ride.

NC

On Fri, 31 Jan 2003 09:10:35 +0000, Peter Clinch
<[email protected]> wrote:

>Richard Burton wrote:
>> There's a rather tasty young lady in my office who is threatening to take up cycling, and
>> being foolish and male, and rather obviously a cyclist, I have offered to help her sort a
>> reasonable bike.
>>
>> Unfortunately, although perfectly formed, she is rather vertically challenged
>
Just had a look at the Dawes 2002 catalogue, and their range of 'trekking' bikes, which come with
guards & racks, start at a 43cm frame.

Would this be small enough?

HTH John

While stranded on the hard shoulder of the information super highway
[email protected] typed:
> There's a rather tasty young lady in my office who is threatening to take up cycling, and
> being foolish and male, and rather obviously a cyclist, I have offered to help her sort a
> reasonable bike.
>
> Unfortunately, although perfectly formed, she is rather vertically challenged, and is 4'11" and
> thus needs something like a 17 1/2" frame, which seem to be rather thin on the ground. If anyone

Brompton frames are very small. They also have infinitely adjustable saddle height. The Birdie does
too, although I think the Brommie would go lower.

--
Trog Woolley | trog at trog hyphen oz dot demon dot co dot uk (A Croweater back residing in Pommie
Land with Linux) Isis Astarte Diana Hecate Demeter Kali Inanna

Trog Woolley wrote:

> Brompton frames are very small. They also have infinitely adjustable saddle height. The Birdie
> does too, although I think the Brommie would go lower.

Moultons and Bike Fridays too. But we're well beyond the realms of cheap in all cases here, which
might be a problem for a first "proper" bike. Less than a first car, mind...

Pete.
--
Peter Clinch University of Dundee Tel 44 1382 660111 ext. 33637 Medical Physics, Ninewells Hospital
Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK net [email protected]
http://www.dundee.ac.uk/~pjclinch/

"Richard Burton" <[email protected]> wrote
> reasonable bike.
>

I have a small bike I'd like to get rid of. I'm 5'5", but the bike is really quite small. It has a
50cm long top tube, and the the top tube is pretty low; I have loads of standover clearance on it.
I'll measure it up this evening.

It has drop bars currently (with bar-end shifters), but could be converted to straight bars easily
-- it has a 165mm Sora triple chainset & Sora front mech, and MTB rear gears. It would work very
well with Gripshift. It also has canti brakes, so brake levers wouldn't be a problem. It has a 26cm
BB height, making it much easier to get on for a short person.

It's a good quality bike -- custom made for me by Orbit (yes I know they don't have the greatest
reputation in general, but this is a good one). It's got a 631 Reynolds frame. It has MTB wheels
fitted with 32mm Panaracer Pasela tires. It's meant as an Audax/light touring bike, and has all the
fittings for rack and mudguards you could want. I'd want about 400 quid for it.

Email me if you're interested!

[email protected]

-Myra

"NC" <[email protected]> writes:
> "Richard Burton" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > There's a rather tasty young lady in my office who is threatening to take
> up
> > cycling, and being foolish and male, and rather obviously a cyclist, I
> have
> > offered to help her sort a reasonable bike.
> >
> > Unfortunately, although perfectly formed, she is rather vertically challenged, and is 4'11" and
> > thus needs something like a 17 1/2" frame, which seem to be rather thin on the ground. If anyone
> > has a reasonable hybrid/tourer of said frame size, I will consider anything.
>
> Probably cheapest option is to find a small framed mountain bike (though beware that some will
> have short height, but long length and won't therefore fit well). Replace off-road tyres with
> smooth road versions, fit mudguards, etc. and will work.
[...]
> There are a few specifically designed for women small MTB style bikes from Edinburgh cycle coop at
> quite low prices.

Women's specific bike page: http://www.edinburgh-bicycle.co.uk/catalogue/subcollections.cfm?ID=688

And, if they are too large, try the bikes aimed at teenagers:
http://www.edinburgh-bicycle.co.uk/catalogue/item.cfm?ID=1759

Status
Not open for further replies.