Small bike with STI/Ergo shifters? Solution here!

Phil, Non-Squid

Guest
Here's my solution to having a super-small bike with a 5mm stem stack height
and a headtube shorter than 100mm.

http://picasaweb.google.com/zeeexsixare/RBT/photo?authkey=kqFitSiY_cE#5058333459011526690

http://picasaweb.google.com/zeeexsixare/RBT/photo?authkey=kqFitSiY_cE#5058333471896428594

Run out the cables early out from the bar tape soon after the curve rather
than at the beginning of the clamp bulge. You guys probably already knew
this (or wouldn't ever have to deal with a small bike) but I figured I'd
share.

--
Phil

On Apr 27, 10:57 pm, "Phil, Non-Squid" <[email protected]>
wrote:
> Here's my solution to having a super-small bike with a 5mm stem stack height
> and a headtube shorter than 100mm.
>
> http://picasaweb.google.com/zeeexsixare/RBT/photo?authkey=kqFitSiY_cE...
>
> http://picasaweb.google.com/zeeexsixare/RBT/photo?authkey=kqFitSiY_cE...
>
> Run out the cables early out from the bar tape soon after the curve rather
> than at the beginning of the clamp bulge. You guys probably already knew
> this (or wouldn't ever have to deal with a small bike) but I figured I'd
> share.
>
> --
> Phil

Nope, I would just route the der housing in front of the bar, in front
of the brake housing and then loop them into the headtube stops. Those
are so short, I wonder if it affects the front end, like a sticky
headset.

Qui si parla Campagnolo wrote:
> On Apr 27, 10:57 pm, "Phil, Non-Squid" <[email protected]>
> wrote:
>> Here's my solution to having a super-small bike with a 5mm stem
>> stack height and a headtube shorter than 100mm.
>>
>> http://picasaweb.google.com/zeeexsixare/RBT/photo?authkey=kqFitSiY_cE...
>>
>> http://picasaweb.google.com/zeeexsixare/RBT/photo?authkey=kqFitSiY_cE...
>>
>> Run out the cables early out from the bar tape soon after the curve
>> rather than at the beginning of the clamp bulge. You guys probably
>> already knew this (or wouldn't ever have to deal with a small bike)
>> but I figured I'd share.
>>
>> --
>> Phil

> Nope, I would just route the der housing in front of the bar, in front
> of the brake housing and then loop them into the headtube stops. Those
> are so short, I wonder if it affects the front end, like a sticky
> headset.

It didn't cause any problems while riding handling-wise, but the problem
came up when the front wheel would flop to the sides, splitting apart each
ferrule from the extreme angle.

Surprisingly, braking and shifting were never compromised due to keeping the
housing lubed.
--
Phil

Phil, Non-Squid wrote:
> It didn't cause any problems while riding handling-wise, but the problem
> came up when the front wheel would flop to the sides, splitting apart each
> ferrule from the extreme angle.
>
> Surprisingly, braking and shifting were never compromised due to keeping the
> housing lubed.

Professional mechanics check casing length lock-to-lock before trimming
them. Good habit to develop.

Where there's uncertainty about stem height/length, 'longer's gooder' as
you can trim easily later after a few rides.
--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org

A Muzi wrote:

>> Qui si parla Campagnolo wrote:
>>> Nope, I would just route the der housing in front of the bar, in
>>> front of the brake housing and then loop them into the headtube
>>> stops. Those are so short, I wonder if it affects the front end,
>>> like a sticky headset.

> Phil, Non-Squid wrote:
>> It didn't cause any problems while riding handling-wise, but the
>> problem came up when the front wheel would flop to the sides,
>> splitting apart each ferrule from the extreme angle.
>>
>> Surprisingly, braking and shifting were never compromised due to
>> keeping the housing lubed.

> Professional mechanics check casing length lock-to-lock before
> trimming them. Good habit to develop.

The length was fine originally. Over time, wheel flop caused enough stress
to split. The area is covered in 90-120 degree derailleur housing bends
with lengths of 4 in. or less. Exiting the bar tape early fixed the
situation.

--
Phil