Small climbs make for some good air.

Tj

Guest
Last spring I rented some equipment to build some dirt jumps for my kids. The last few days I have
been going out on my 24" Single speed ( If you know what I mean). I finaly got the balls to try the
gap that I made ( about 10 ft). I made it. Again and again. I worked this afternoon building up the
existing jumps, and making some improvements. Watered, and Packed ready to jump tommorow.

TJ

"TJ" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> Last spring I rented some equipment to build some dirt jumps for my kids. The last few days I have
> been going out on my 24" Single speed ( If you
know
> what I mean). I finaly got the balls to try the gap that I made ( about
10
> ft). I made it. Again and again. I worked this afternoon building up the existing jumps, and
> making some improvements. Watered, and Packed ready to jump tommorow.

Pics!

TJ wrote in message ...
>Last spring I rented some equipment to build some dirt jumps for my kids.

You rented a spade?

>The last few days I have been going out on my 24" Single speed ( If you
know
>what I mean).

Yep, I get the idea, although I prefer a 20" singlespeed myself.

I finaly got the balls to try the gap that I made ( about 10
>ft). I made it. Again and again.

Definitely the best part of dirt jumping, trying out a new jump that you have crafted yourself and
not knowing whether the lip will kick you wild or send you smooth.

> I worked this afternoon building up the existing jumps, and making some improvements. Watered,
> and Packed ready to jump tommorow.
>
>TJ

Great. There's a lot of sweat involved in maintaining a set of trails, but it definitely has
its rewards.

Steve E.

spademan o---[)* wrote:

>>Last spring I rented some equipment to build some dirt jumps for my kids.
>

> You rented a spade?

LOL

>>The last few days I have been going out on my 24" Single speed ( If you
>
> know
>
>>what I mean).
>

> Yep, I get the idea, although I prefer a 20" singlespeed myself.

Same here. Mine's fully rigid too, BTW.

> I finaly got the balls to try the gap that I made ( about 10
>
>>ft). I made it. Again and again.
>

> Definitely the best part of dirt jumping, trying out a new jump that you have crafted yourself and
> not knowing whether the lip will kick you wild or send you smooth.

Experience will help determine this. And if you're still not sure, there's bound to be some pikey
kid on a pig bike that will do it for a cigarette.

>> I worked this afternoon building up the existing jumps, and making some improvements. Watered,
>> and Packed ready to jump tommorow.
>>

> Great. There's a lot of sweat involved in maintaining a set of trails, but it definitely has its
> rewards.

Haven't ridden trails in over 3 1/2 years... :(

>> Definitely the best part of dirt jumping, trying out a new jump that you have crafted yourself
>> and not knowing whether the lip will kick you wild
or
>> send you smooth.
>
>Experience will help determine this.

You'd think so wouldn't you? but no matter how many times you roll up the take-off and feel the
transition with the back of a spade, you just can't really tell until you hit it. I think there is
some variance in the way a take-off reacts when you hit it fast, maybe a spot in the middle feels
smooth but is a bit wet underneath and compresses when you hit it.

> And if you're still not sure, there's bound to be some pikey kid on a pig bike that will do it for
> a cigarette.

Give some pikey kid the honour of being the first one to jump a new jump? well only if you've got a
camera handy ;-)

>>> I worked this afternoon building up the existing jumps, and making some improvements. Watered,
>>> and Packed ready to jump tommorow.
>>>

>> Great. There's a lot of sweat involved in maintaining a set of trails,
but
>> it definitely has its rewards.
>
>Haven't ridden trails in over 3 1/2 years... :(

Sounds like you'll have to stop by next time you're errm just passing by Southport.

> spademan o---[)* wrote:
>
> >>Last spring I rented some equipment to build some dirt jumps for my
kids.

> > You rented a spade?
>
> LOL

Heheheheh - 'AOL', heheheh....

> >>The last few days I have been going out on my 24" Single speed ( If you
> >
> > know
> >
> >>what I mean).
> >

> > Yep, I get the idea, although I prefer a 20" singlespeed myself.
>
> Same here. Mine's fully rigid too, BTW.

You get that excited over them?

Shaun aRe

spademan o---[)* wrote:

>>And if you're still not sure, there's bound to be some pikey kid on a pig bike that will do it for
>>a cigarette.
>

> Give some pikey kid the honour of being the first one to jump a new jump?

Not really - it was just the thought of using them as 'test pilots' that amused me.

> well only if you've got a camera handy ;-)

My brother's got this fantastic bit of video at home of a kid who could barely see over the bars
going for it over these doubles after we'd egged him on. He looped out, ghostied the bike and
back-flipped in to the backside of the downslope, head first. Brilliant.

>>Haven't ridden trails in over 3 1/2 years... :(
>

> Sounds like you'll have to stop by next time you're errm just passing by Southport.

Southport? Well why didn't you say? I often pass there on my way home from work in the evenings...

LOL, Yeah I rented a spade. It had 4 wheels @ $175/day, and some hydralics to go with it though. I
like to call the hand held spades " Manual Excavators"

TJ

news:[email protected]...